Active Topics

Poll: Which OS will be the first choice on your Nokia N900?
Poll Options
Which OS will be the first choice on your Nokia N900?

Originally Posted by brera View Post
Probably we can install a MeeGo 1.0 but I hope also that application create for MeeGo will work on N900 because I like a Maemo 5 too much. Just want from Nokia too support N900 a little more
After PR1.2, I think there won't be any firmware releases from Nokia in Maemo5.
It is a question of dividing resources, so they probably will consentrate fully on Meego after PR1.2. That is why it is not good to hurry with PR1.2 until all known bugs and design flaws are really fixed.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
You're asking like we have a choice... we're doomed with maemo 5 forever, Maemo community will soon vanish and turn to MeeGo community.
Maemo 5 users will have choices. Some of them will prefer to stay with Maemo 5 updates, some of them will prefer to jump to MeeGo updates (probably with different flavors to choose depending on your preferences).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
MeeGo will be released officially for the N900, since the N900 is the reference ARM hardware of the MeeGo project. See http://wiki.maemo.org/What_can_we_re...or_my_N900_.3F and related questions in that wiki page.
That sounds very good (although Maemo5 is good) but will Meego come with the "default UI" or with "Nokia (Harmattan) UI (and Nokia applications)" ???

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I can't really see the advantges with meego for n900(more than its funny with new stuff). Dont think meego will kick out maemo 5, at least not on my n900...New devices is another story. Just my take on this.

Last edited by Dave999; 2010-04-18 at 15:07.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
I'm impressed by the amount of expert analysts in this thread, giving advice about the future without any hesitation...

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
After PR1.2, I think there won't be any firmware releases from Nokia in Maemo5.
It is a question of dividing resources, so they probably will consentrate fully on Meego after PR1.2. That is why it is not good to hurry with PR1.2 until all known bugs and design flaws are really fixed.
PR1.2 was frozen weeks ago when the SDK was released and we are hurrying as much as QA test results allow. MeeGo development has nothing to do with all this. See http://wiki.maemo.org/What_can_we_re...or_Maemo_5_.3F and related questions in that wiki page.

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ulrik View Post
That sounds very good (although Maemo5 is good) but will Meego come with the "default UI" or with "Nokia (Harmattan) UI (and Nokia applications)" ???
Both. There will be MeeGo releases by the MeGo project to everybody and MeeGo releases by Nokia for Nokia devices.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Both. There will be MeeGo releases by the MeGo project to everybody and MeeGo releases by Nokia for Nokia devices.
Both for the N900?

(Just to be clear )

Last edited by Ulrik; 2010-04-18 at 15:18.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ulrik For This Useful Post:
That's a positive development in Meego that I always welcome - choices and support (from Nokia).

I have seen the Zaurus die due to lack of support (not lack of choices though) and I am glad Nokia is taking this path to wider acceptance of Maemo/Meego by going this dual route.

And I am glad to hear that Meego will be supported on the N900. All these contrary 'expect analysis' (read rumours and innuendos) flying left and right was getting the better of me in these forums.

The Following User Says Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Definitively Maemo 5 for N900.
The user-interface rocks. What are they ever going to improve about that?
Intel as as strategical partner is going to influence that for the better? Not so sure.
Bring new and plenty of icons on your MeeGo desktop: most likely.

We may be looking another Android with wider focus that has functionality wise nothing to add to the platform of mobile phones/ or pocket-able computers.

Of course I will check out Meego when its value has been proven and sung upon.

But right now, concerning the N900 I have a feeling that Meego is going to break what is just about to be nicely fixed.

Last edited by ste-phan; 2010-04-18 at 15:25.

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
i just hope you can somehow transfer all contacts, wallpapers and oder custom user-stuff to meego when installing it.

Tags
continuity, support, you wish