Active Topics

Forgive me if posted already.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/23/n...ll-meego-from/

Great news for Nokia fans I would think. But who will get an N8 now knowing it is for an abandoned platform for smart phones (apart from the very casual phone buyers rather than educated smartphone buyers).

Title should of course say last N series device.

Last edited by chemist; 2010-06-23 at 14:06.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
it's not an abandoned platform, nokia is still going to use it, just that it won't put out any new symbian N-series phones, only meego (at least if we can trust the article). symbian phones will be mainstream, while for the n-series nokia will employ only meego. symbian won't go away for at least some years now, and is definitely NOT an abandoned platform.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
I think the writing was on the wall long before the official announcement but good to hear nonetheless. Now just counting the days until the first peek at Meego Handset UX on the 30th....

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Thread title needs changed

Great news that MeeGo will be the sole OS for the N-series, and a definite shot in the arm for raising MeeGo interest and awareness.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 195 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ SF Bay Area, United States
Isn't it typical Nokia way of doing things? Announce a decent phone and kill the OS.

Anyway I feel S60 crossed its lifespan and needs to die. Symbian^3 and the proposed Symbian^4 just add unnecessary confusion in Nokia's high-end smartphone space. Now they should concentrate more on Meego and get a killer device out by end of this year (or sooner).

Maintainer of Markets Today (Yahoo Finance based desktop widget/app)

The Following User Says Thank You to scifi.guy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
if this is true it changes nothing as symbian is still on C series, Xseries, eseries and will still have massive user base compared to any other OS.
not sure the sources can be trusted

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Title should of course say last N series device.
Maybe you should fix it, instead of just mentioning it in the post. (Edit: Ok, nice, it's fixed already)

But yes, sounds like good news to me, if it's true.

If true it's very good news. Nokia has already for a time been talking about getting N series to mean the same it was in 2001-2007. It has been far cry from those days and so have been the sales too.

High end=N series=MeeGo

Saw that coming.

It is definitely good direction for Nokia. It is just a little radical considering N8 is not even out yet. I sense that Nokia is firing the person who leaked this.

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 237 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Helsinki
Since next year's N8 will now obviously be the touch only MeeGo device everyone is expecting, either there still won't be a direct iPhone competitor or there will be a change in positioning.

Continuing like this, the N9 will be superior, but in a different form factor, while the N8-01 will have cheaper hardware in the iPhone's form factor.

Not attacking competitors' devices 1:1 is important for avoiding price wars, but in this case I suspect the decision will be made based on how they want to do their advertising. Personally, I'd want to see an expensive N8-01, with some other series picking up the slack.

Last edited by jnwi; 2010-06-23 at 14:32.