Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
My understanding is that Nokia is asking that those drivers be made available for a back-port of Mer to N8x0 devices only. They are not asking that they be opened up entirely. (Of course, others may have direct knowledge of this.)
That'd still be monumental as those drivers haven't been made available for Maemo on N8x0 devices.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Wow. Getting a "community edition" of the graphics acceleration drivers would indeed be monumental. It would breathe new life into the current-generation tablets. Think of all the apps that could benefit; video, games, and of course the new Fremantle UI...

Good eye, Benson! I didn't even catch that little comment!

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Good eye, Benson! I didn't even catch that little comment!
I'm just glad Nokia finally mentioned something about it. . . .

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i just hope we are not reading to much into that statement...

Originally Posted by Linux Devices
"...This is also true for platform components that are actually not owned by Nokia, for instance TI's graphics acceleration drivers for OMAP2, where we are trying also to help getting a 'community edition' of such drivers."

The project is already working on a proposal to include community editions of these closed-source drivers, including firmware images fully installable on existing Nokia tablets — although it is unknown when the first such images would become available.
Okay, new poll. What will we see first?
Begging for crusty, old closed-source drivers. Sounds fun! Maybe there's a game show in there somewhere. I can see the hand-off now:

[April 1, 2010]

TI: Here ya go! I don't really know what's in those things, but my guys were super excited about getting rid of 'em. Or was that snickering... Anyhoo. Enjoy!

Nokia: Wow, thanks a bunch! Are ya sure there's no source code for these? [mumbling in the background] No? Seriously?! Shucks. Oh well, no matter. Again, thanks so much.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by tso View Post
There's not much to read into. Take him at his word.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Begging for crusty, old closed-source drivers...Here ya go! I don't really know what's in those thing... Are ya sure there's no source code for these? No?
Congrats, that was an excellent job of qolling!

Seriously. If they hand us some dusty, broken binaries, that truly would be a shame. My understanding is that Nokia actually already has source code, at the very least for some buggy, alpha-level development drivers, and maybe more; it's hard to know because they keep those things pretty close to their chest.

The problem has been that Nokia can't give that source code to the community because of licensing issues with TI. I think hope they want to hack out a deal with TI that would allow the low-level hackers in the community a chance to get these drivers up to shape.

Talking about low level hackers and keeping things close to the chest, I heard someone was going to hack around on the new kernel and get it working on the current tablets, or at least have some good notes. Any idea where those notes are?

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by tso View Post
That statement is pretty direct, but here is another one I noticed that suggests where Nokia's priorities lie...

We asked the Mer team to list the *3rd party* closed source packages they need, since they don't belong to Nokia and therefore we need to make sure the owners are fine with the deal.

For instance, Flash belongs to Adobe and Skype belongs to Skype Inc. The agreements signed with these companies are framed for official releases going through a quite demanding quality process. If Nokia would let the Mer team (or whoever) grab those binaries for other purposes then those agreements would be in trouble, affecting e.g. the negotiations for Fremantle.

EDIT: By the way, forget about an official endorsement on 3rd party applications. 3rd party platform components essential to get the hardware running are a different and more feasible story.
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ype#post261619

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
There's not much to read into. Take him at his word.
Nokia have been trying to get a version of these drivers to the community for a while now, though. This, at least (hopefully), shows such efforts are still ongoing.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
The fact that there are negotiations is nothing new. This was already pointed out on Wiki. Karoliina and Qgil commented there, and updated on the status. The exact status, or where the problems lies (where it is stuck)... that is more interesting.

Tags
mer