Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
About applications, that's covered in the "Project Status" part of the initial reply, that is, it's work-in-progress. All FOSS applications from Fremantle should run on Leste (perhaps with a few simple changes here and there or recompilation). Since there were not too many closed applications anyway, we can say nearly applications will be supported.

However, this is WIP for now, since some of those applications need libraries, etc. which are still being worked on, e.g. many needed Qt, which Leste has not packaged yet.

That said, even some Fremantle games are in the process of being ported, as you can see from the latest project status update, https://maemo-leste.github.io/maemo-...gust-2019.html

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
How about device support for Nokia N810? I know that it will be slow with big apps, but how about light use of terminal programs etc.? Or is it impossible with that amount memory?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Don't quote me ...since I cannot exactly recall...
But I think this question was already roughly answered with a "it should work on the n8x0s"
May want to get clarification on that though...

I don't see why it couldn't if the black box blobs of doom are dealt with...
and since a great deal of work was backported from the n900 to the n8x0s... back in the day...
it should be that much easier to deal with.

and...mmm...ram shouldn't have much to do with it..
if I can run antix linux on an old pc...and I mean old...
(antix can run on a p3 with 256mb of ram...soooo...)
there is no reason why we couldn't run leste on the n8x0s...
(sure the real heavy stuff may be too much ...but modest and light apps should run....which are the majority ..since tons of linux progs that were designed to be compact and run light anyway...soooo...moot point there...)

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Aaargh!

Each time i see someone has posted on this thread lifts me high. Waiting so much leste be ready. Hope to hear when they get phone calls working. That is a big thing.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Have to ask: is the wiki status of N900 updated? I follow that and updating would help.

The Following User Says Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
and...mmm...ram shouldn't have much to do with it..
if I can run antix linux on an old pc...and I mean old...
(antix can run on a p3 with 256mb of ram...soooo...)
I have played Linux version of Civilization Call to Power with Pentium 75Mhz with 40 MB Ram with Suse Linux 6 And it wasn't even slow after I replace KDE with Xfwm. And it wasn't even lowest X-window enviroment that I've tested, it was PC with 486/33Mhz with 16 MB and even with that I could read offline html-files with Netscape and it even stops swapping sometimes But I don't think current Linux kernel even fit to 16 MB..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by teroyk View Post
it was PC with 486/33Mhz with 16 MB and even with that I could read offline html-files with Netscape and it even stops swapping sometimes But I don't think current Linux kernel even fit to 16 MB..
I don't see why it still would not scale down to whatever size needed. Couple of decades ago I ran linux 0.9x-something on a 33MHz 386sx with something like 4MB of core and as I recall it had pretty fantastic performance.

I am fairly sure the latest kernel scales down to the same size and performance if I just enable the same features I had in the system I was running back then and remove all the newer drivers and functionality.
The problem is I no longer have the original PC that I used back in the merry 90'es... my oldest hardware is 100MHz pentium and that'd be too powerful system to try this on.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
I have thought of running linux on my MikroMikko 6 laptop with 4mb ram but is has many games so not wanna spoil working setup.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
I have thought of running linux on my MikroMikko 6 laptop with 4mb ram but is has many games so not wanna spoil working setup.
Little older Nokia..or was it under ICL name that time? EDIT: I know answer: it was under ICL brand.

The Following User Says Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
Can anyone get any information of Nokia Data KS-21 cash register laptop which had a narrow green screen, paperroll, magnetic card reader and a dock with a disket drive? It had 160mb closed rom with ms dos 3.1 on it. Before It was broken. Connected a hard drive to the diskdrive cables (which had worked with other old computers) and it gave one loud beep and was gone. I have tried to find information of it that how rare and expensive it would have been but have found really nothing. Took it apart and build a new computer of it with 7 inch colour screen, dvd player, touchpad, 8Gb ram, a fast ssd and JBL Cube inside as a speaker. All fitted to the old case. Still there comes days when I regret connecting that harddrive.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:

Tags
leste, maemo 7