As requested by pichlo, I'm posting this here.

Just a little [GUIDE] to get the best possible mobile device available right now. Which includes Android (on roids), NOTE 3 (best hardware atm), and a couple of accessories I personally think are the best fit in the market.

Firstly, the device: Samsung NOTE 3 (N9005, 4G, Black).
The 4G model comes with the Snapdragon 800 processor which is a little faster than the Exynos version, and a little easier on battery life, and has more third-party software support.

The Black version comes with a soft-touch pleather back, and the bezels camouflage with the screen. The white bezels stick out and aren't as aesthetic, and the rear case feels much less like leather and more like plastic.

Secondly, the system modifications: Start from a TouchWizz-base.
Doing so means you'll have the proper drivers (camera!!!), radios and kernels.... no need for frustrating tweaks on AOSP ones.

As well as things like Samsung Store (freebies), Samsung Dive (Find my iPhone equivalent) and first-party apps like Phone, Contacts, Camera, S Pen which are vastly superior to AOSP ones.

Also exclusive goodies like Auto-launch Action/App when S Pen removed, Palm rejection when the S Pen is removed, Air command shortcut, Take a screen shot, Contextual Menu/Popups when pen hovers over, Alarm when S Pen left behind and finally MULTI-WINDOW function. So go ahead and:

-r00t the device with CF-ROOT (easy) or use Root de la Vega to keep Knox counter on 0x0 (warranty purposes).
-install a custom Recovery like TeamWin (easy) or use kn0x0ut (keep warranty)
-backup your efs/system (just in case you might need it later)
-flash VillainMOD or a Stock ROM (and de-bloat it, if need be)

Thirdly, the customizations: Add some powerful MODs!
Some helpful MODs like Volume Booster, SecMMS, Unlimited MultiWindow, Call Record are there to fix what Samsung broke.

Installing the phenomenal Xposed framework, and these few handy modules are a must (XPrivacy, Adblock, Tinted Status Bar, XBlast Tools, GravityBox, Xposed Additions, etc etc)

Forthly the accessories:
- This awesome case

- This awesome screen protector

- This memory card

- This desk/bedroom cradle

- This car cradle

- This car fast-charger

- This Portable Miracast dongle

- This controller to use the Sixaxis App and play games with this mount/diy to place the phone over the controller

- Otherwise, this easier but less advanced solution, The MOGA pocket / PRO controller

Fifth and finally, finish off by installing these "Best Apps":
- Apex PRO (best launcher)
- Kii Keyboard PRO (best keyboard)
- SwitchR PRO (best gesture)
(swipe up from bottom launch Recent Tasks, handy)
- Titanium Backup PRO (best app backup/restorer)
- Root Explorer PRO (best file manager)
- 500px PRO (best wallpaper. Gif-Live Wallpaper is also good when loading up some street fighter backgrounds)
- SIXAXIS App / MOGA App (screen taps mapped to physical buttons on controllers)

And these emulators which run fullspeed, with sound, no frameskip, and no problems:
PS One (FPSe)
Nintendo 64 (Mupen64)
Gameboy Advance (VGBA)
SNES (Super GNES)
Sega (iGensNoid)

And these other emulators which might be useful:
PSP (PPSSPP)
DS Lite (DraStic)
Dreamcast (Reicast)
Windows 98/DOS (Winulator)

...whew that was a lot of typing and a lot of information, I deserve a Thanks : )

I'm flattered

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
thanks for sharing! i don't have a note 3 though; got the second edition.

I would say all of these should still apply to the note 2. Also throw in mame4droid, it's quality.

edit

obviously the cases, docks etc etc won't fit a note.2 but apps wise all should be fine.

handhelds running mame really well, GP2x (mk2), GP2x wiz, JXD s7300

Samsung galaxy note 2 owner and of course mame on that too

ex - Xbox 360 user - here is the reason -

I am back Xboxing again - and here is what i did to correct it -

***UPDATE*** now 47 months on and x-clamp fix has just failed....not a bad run

Last edited by Bazza; 2014-04-04 at 00:08.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 276 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ uk or @Pai,Mae Hong Son, Thailand
Can you run X/terminal (or emulator) and OpenSSH on these devices?
Please forgive if stupid question, I am N900 owner, no nothing about
inferior o/s devices...

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by macey View Post
Can you run X/terminal (or emulator) and OpenSSH on these devices?
Please forgive if stupid question, I am N900 owner, no nothing about
inferior o/s devices...
sshd, yes, you can do that.
xterm, propably not, since the video system of android is not X but something androidy stuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 283 | Thanked: 276 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ uk or @Pai,Mae Hong Son, Thailand
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
sshd, yes, you can do that.
xterm, propably not, since the video system of android is not X but something androidy stuff.
Ok, thanks but I assume that there is some sort of terminal/emulator?

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I think so. At least google gives a lot of hits for "terminal emulator for android" but I could not really say what they are like, as I don't really use android if I can avoid it.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I ........ I don't really use android if I can avoid it.
Hmmmmm. That's what I'm begining to think. stick with my N900's and wait for my Neo900

The Following User Says Thank You to macey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
There are many.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
You might consider ZShaolin GNU/Linux terminal which has lots of nice features including Vim, Midnight Commander, Image Magick,
Open SSH, RSync and so forth...
Attached Images

Tags
android, galaxy note