Originally Posted by wolke View Post

youll PROBABLY be fine with torx, as long as you have strong steady hands and move with confidence, but if it goes wrong, its a HUGE PITA. it is MUCH easier to strip the screws than you think.
dont use the wrong tools, torx-plus are like 5 bucks!
thats what i was saying... torx plus it's all we need for a good and non problem job...

The Following User Says Thank You to hugon9 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I bought a cyan housing and a screen/glass/digitizer from ebay seller oneby_tech, and are both awesome, both better than my original ones, as weird as that sounds. (And there was a nokia logo on the screen, despite the ebay pictures)

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I bought a cyan housing and a screen/glass/digitizer from ebay seller oneby_tech, and are both awesome, both better than my original ones, as weird as that sounds. (And there was a nokia logo on the screen, despite the ebay pictures)
the camera lens is ok? and the metal part? what about the sim tray?

can you provide the link for the housing please?

thank you!

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
It was one like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Blue-H...item51a958111f (the original link doesn't exist anymore, it was almost a year ago)

I didn't do any professional benchmarks on the camera lens, but it certainly looks ok. The sim tray and metal part were exactly the same as the original housing. The polycarbonate though had a better finish (more matte) and was smoother (the original one had some slight bumps visible at certain angles and lighting)

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
It was one like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Blue-H...item51a958111f (the original link doesn't exist anymore, it was almost a year ago)

I didn't do any professional benchmarks on the camera lens, but it certainly looks ok. The sim tray and metal part were exactly the same as the original housing. The polycarbonate though had a better finish (more matte) and was smoother (the original one had some slight bumps visible at certain angles and lighting)
ok, thank you very much!

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 173 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Melb
Does this look good?

Figured it was about time I fixed her up, she's definitely seen better days :/

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ Northern WI, USA
Originally Posted by optimaxxx View Post
Does this look good?

Figured it was about time I fixed her up, she's definitely seen better days :/
i ordered that same product a little over a week ago. i'm expecting it to arrive by friday. i'll let you know what i think!

i ordered the black housing from the same seller and it was almost perfect. like qwazix said, the poly carbonate finish was less shiny and more matte. it upset me at first because i was expecting the exact same finish as my stock housing, but after installing it i actually found i liked it better. less slippery and it shows far less finger prints.
however it wasn't perfect! i had a bit of trouble getting the sim tray in, and the USB door straight up didn't shut, it was crooked. instead i put the door from the original housing on. the finish didn't quite match, but it fit like it was supposed to and was better than having no door at all. also, the feel of the phone in the aftermarket housing was a lot more solid, surprisingly. my original n9 housing had a lot of give and it would creak. not the case with the new housing!

just be VERY careful with the ribbon cables. the guy at LE55ONS on youtube is fantastic, but he makes everything look so easy. truly it's not a difficult process, but i made the tiniest mistake when i tried to install new housing. i wasn't sure if the replacement housing included the speaker, which is covered by a ribbon cable, so i pulled back the ribbon which is tricky. you have to jimmy it back and forth to get it out from under the bottom lip of the housing. during the process i put the teeniest, tiniest tear in the cable. didn't even notice at first. discovered the new housing did come with the speaker, put the phone back together, turned it on and found a high pitched squeak is all that would come out of the speaker. took it apart and then discovered the tear. super disappointed because that cable runs underneath a plastic panel that's glued to the actual bottom of the phone. it's replaceable but it's a lot of work, so i just put my phone back in the original housing. couldn't risk breaking something in both casings. so i order the white housing, and once that comes i'll go back and try fixing the torn cable. if i break both i have the white casing as a fallback! although i'm betting i'll keep that handsome white housing either way.

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Australia
This is hilarious. I also bought that exact casing a few weeks ago. Eagerly awaiting its arrival. Need to get a torx plus screwdriver though!
Has anyone tested the included screwdrivers? Dont want to risk it unless anyone can say if they are good or not

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ Northern WI, USA
getting your own torx screwdriver is probably a good plan. the included tools from that seller are decent, but they have short handles which makes them a bit cumbersome to use, but they're fine otherwise. there are two really tiny phillips screws in addition to the torx ones, so i was greatful to have a screwdriver for those included cause i didn't have one so small myself. the blue lever tool is handy for unglugging ribbon cables, too!

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Australia
Thanks. I'm heading down to the hardware store because the ones included are stripping the mobo screws. Seems like I'm not the first one to attempt this considering mine is used.