Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by gidzzz View Post
It is not possible to do with one rule, but the calendar engine can use multiple rules for one event. However, GUI for that is not implemented yet.

If you do not mind adding that event as 3 separate events, you can configure them in the following way:
  • frequency = monthly; day of week = Mon..Fri; day of month = 25;
  • frequency = monthly; day of week = Fri; day of month = 24;
  • frequency = monthly; day of week = Fri; day of month = 23;
Thanks for that, that's a good way and I wish I'd have thought of it. I've looked to implement it that way.

One issue - and this may be Calendar's issue is that if I add three events to the 25th Aug at 09:30 with the repeats that you show above, the third added event seems to overwrite one of the others so I can only do two that way. For now I'll add the third to a future 25th date, but it makes this style a little more awkward.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to skanky For This Useful Post:
Preventing Qalendar from being terminated on D-Bus activation timeout is as easy as registering a dummy service (one line of code). The real problem is that when the application is closed, the service is unregistered and the calendar is automatically restarted. I have no idea how to stop that.
Could you have a little daemon written in pure C to keepalive and stop the restarts and the actual program started from there when called correctly? QT would be loaded only then, so hopefully memory footprint would be minimal

Disabling the respawning can be the best solution because of simplicity (?) and resource usage, but as I have already mentioned a few times, I am afraid that there is some reason why Calendar is running in the background and mediaplayer or worldclock are not.
The reason could be interaction with other osso-programs, if they want to add event or some such (address book adding birthday? something like it), nothing critical to qalendar functioning. We should emulate for compatibility reasons, all events are in the alarmd according to its documentation, calendar just registers an event there, no reason to keep it alive if we don't want to interact with it rather than its db.
IIRC, even a hello world in Qt can take over 30 MB of memory, but the libraries are shared, so 2 Qt applications could take for example 35 MB total. But I guess that's still bad if Qt is not used in any of the startup applications.
Qt-less launcher.

Adding an option to run Qalendar in background would be only the first quick step, just to check if there are any problems after dumping the default calendar (stopping the respawning could serve that purpose as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is hardcoded somewhere). Later it could be replaced by some kind of non-Qt stub which would launch the real thing when required.
Yes!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by skanky View Post
One issue - and this may be Calendar's issue is that if I add three events to the 25th Aug at 09:30 with the repeats that you show above, the third added event seems to overwrite one of the others so I can only do two that way. For now I'll add the third to a future 25th date, but it makes this style a little more awkward.
It is pretty strange that you can create even two events with same details -- I cannot create more than one. Add a space or two at the end of the title or in the description.

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Could you have a little daemon written in pure C to keepalive and stop the restarts and the actual program started from there when called correctly? QT would be loaded only then, so hopefully memory footprint would be minimal
I think that's what I had in mind when writing the last paragraph.

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
The reason could be interaction with other osso-programs, if they want to add event or some such (address book adding birthday? something like it), nothing critical to qalendar functioning. We should emulate for compatibility reasons, all events are in the alarmd according to its documentation, calendar just registers an event there, no reason to keep it alive if we don't want to interact with it rather than its db.
Yep, I performed some tests which confirm that birthdays will not be added with Calendar disabled. I also added it to a list of things that are broken without Calendar (http://wiki.maemo.org/Qalendar#Consequences) and hopefully with today's update it will be easier to find other similar situations.

I have mentioned an update, so here it is, the changelog for Qalendar 0.6. The package is already in the repository.
  • Scrolling hints in week view show also components from the all-day section.
  • Enabled word wrapping for time labels in week view to make them work better with translations.
  • Event lists display location info if available.
  • Resolved the performance problem with refreshing of agenda view.
  • Recurrence and alarm dialog always starts enabled to save one click.
  • Recurrence dialog is grayed out instead of resized when disabled.
  • Moved the checkbox in alarm dialog to the top of the dialog.
  • Fixed misaligned weekday names in month view.
  • Added an option to run in background and mimic some other related behaviors of the default Fremantle calendar.
  • Updated translations.
  • New translation: French by Pinky007.

All you guys that are eager to say goodbye to the default calendar or just want to help testing the --background switch, take a look at the appropriate section in the wiki (http://wiki.maemo.org/Qalendar#Repla...fault_calendar) and report other problems, if you find any.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to gidzzz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Vilnius, Lithuania
Thank you for another update! Updated with --background option for daily usage.

eCoach uses Where field to put information about activities. Day view looks like this:

Event:

PS I really love that previously used Calendar is selected when making new entries!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iceskateclog For This Useful Post:
It is pretty strange that you can create even two events with same details -- I cannot create more than one. Add a space or two at the end of the title or in the description.
Thanks. I probably had something slightly different between the two. I may check at some point. Knowing it shouldn't work is enough now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skanky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
So far it is running fine in the background.

One minor thing if I may be picky: if you start qalendar from the menu once you have qalender in the background, you will have two instances of qalendar running. It makes sense because it does not involve the service when started from the menu. But it would be nice if it would not accept a second instance of qalendar (and just show the running one).

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
That is indeed the reason why I left it unimplemented, but the more I click on Qalendar's icon the more I see how impractical it is. 0.6.1 changes that, along with a few other details:
  • If another instance of the application is detected on startup, activate that instance and exit.
  • Replace line breaks with spaces when displaying text that is supposed to fit in one line.
  • Gray out headings in the recurrence editor with the rest of the dialog.
  • Updated the French translation.

Please note that Qalendar will not be automatically restarted after the update, so if you have it running in the background, you should kill it manually with "killall qalendar".

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to gidzzz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Potential bug found.

I opened qalendar via the stock calendar widget (I am using Background Tweak).
It opened in agenda view but the date at the top was from the last time I opened qalendar (Thursday). This means that you have to correct the date to set an alarm for later in the day.
To get the date correct in agenda view I selected Month view and then Agenda again. Will need to test it again tomorrow to see if I can reproduce.

Edit -- It can be reproduced, even after a reboot on version 0.6.1.

Addition comments, the Alarm view isn't obvious that you are selecting hours/minutes/seconds before the event. It was only after putting the exact time of the alarm that I remembered how the stock calender worked.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Last edited by sixwheeledbeast; 2013-08-30 at 13:02.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
As I expressed my concern about possible memory use of a Qt program (Qalendar in this case) in the background, I decided to check that every once in a while (ps aux, (h)top etc).

Although it is hard to determine exact values (think complex shared memory), we should be able to see a global picture. The thing I constantly noticed is that the memory usage of qalendar dropped significantly soon.

Scenario:

- Killall qalendar at start of measurements
- Automatically run smem en ps_mem (two python memory reporting tools) every half an hour for a period of time while not using the device

smem report on qalendar:

Code:
           Swap      USS      PSS      RSS
22:58:04 160.0K    15.4M    16.6M    21.0M 
23:28:26 256.0K    15.2M    16.4M    20.9M 
23:58:47 352.0K    14.6M    16.0M    20.8M 
00:29:08   5.2M     4.6M     5.4M     9.2M 
00:59:29   5.3M     4.5M     5.2M     9.0M 
01:29:50   5.3M     4.5M     5.2M     9.0M 
02:00:10   5.3M     4.5M     5.2M     9.0M 
09:34:12   5.6M     5.3M     6.7M    11.3M
Info from smem on the meaning of the columns: the "proportional set size" (PSS) of a process is the count of pages it has in memory, where each page is divided by the number of processes sharing it. So if a process has 1000 pages all to itself, and 1000 shared with one other process, its PSS will be 1500. The unique set size (USS), instead, is a simple count of unshared pages. It is, for all practical purposes, the number of pages which will be returned to the system if the process is killed. The resident set size (RSS) is the portion of a process's memory that is held in RAM. The rest of the memory exists in swap or the filesystem

ps_mem report on qalendar:
Code:
          Private  +   Shared  =  RAM used
22:58:04  15.3 MiB +   1.3 MiB =  16.7 MiB
23:28:26  15.2 MiB +   1.3 MiB =  16.5 MiB
23:58:47  14.6 MiB +   1.5 MiB =  16.2 MiB  
00:29:08   4.6 MiB + 930.0 KiB =   5.5 MiB   
00:59:29   4.5 MiB + 911.0 KiB =   5.4 MiB 
01:29:50   4.5 MiB + 911.0 KiB =   5.4 MiB
02:00:10   4.5 MiB + 911.0 KiB =   5.4 MiB 
09:34:12   5.3 MiB +   1.5 MiB =   6.9 MiB
The last measurement is after bringing Qalendar to be foreground the next day. As I see qalendar partly beeing moved to swap (which explains less ram used), the total amount of memory used seem to have shrunk. Any viable explanations (some memory reclaim by OS?)? Well, it definitely took away some worries I had about it

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Hi gidzzz.

I found a minor bug in the GUI: When you leave the calendar open showing week view and wait for the next day, the column of that day is being highlighted correctly but not its head. See attached image.

BTW: I love your work! Stock calendar is a pain in the a**. Recurrences are brutally limited. You can't even create an event that takes place every two weeks. And "complex recurrences" could not be edited. Now I can! \o/ And I love the weekday names on the date picker! You'll definitely get some pizza from me!

You'd be my true hero if you implemented the possibility to delete single occurrences of repeating events as well. Some more things that come in handy but are not that important:
- Birthday events: display age behind names
- Add "Category" field for tasks/events/notes
- When an alarm rings give the user not only the option to remind him 5 minutes later, but let him specify the amount of time for that reminder. (I don't know if this is even possible, as I fear that alarm dialog is built into maemo. Is it?)
- Alarms/Reminders for Tasks

And I want to participate! It seems there is no german translation available. I don't need it, but I would love to provide and maintain it. Please tell me how to do that!

DerYo
Attached Images

Last edited by deryo; 2013-09-04 at 08:42.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to deryo For This Useful Post:

Tags
calendar, fremantle