Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by electroaudio View Post
He was not civil and i explained that in a message he deleted among a lot of other messages he deleted. The only message he left was the one he answered...
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
The messages weren't deleted - they were just separated to another thread to make this one cleaner. See: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=92373
Thanks for the explanation. I had not noticed that some posts were moved. I am not entirely convinced that the moved posts belong to off-topic. I would rather see all the Neo900 discussions moved to a new Neo900 sub-forum <g> but hey, I am not a moderator either.

For the record, I still cannot see your problem. The moved posts are exactly those I was referring to as civil and informative. If anything, one could consider your reducing Joerg's post to "blablabla" offensive.

Everyday i earn enough money to buy one new Neo900
I see. One of those.

Originally Posted by sulu View Post
In the forums I was moderating it was considered good practice that EVERY time a mod changes a thread he leaves a note WHO changed the thread (including an info on how to contact him for further questions if that's not obvious), WHAT he did (in this case at least a link to the off-topic thread, better yet one to the exact post) and WHY he did it.
+1

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
For the record, I still cannot see your problem. The moved posts are exactly those I was referring to as civil and informative. If anything, one could consider your reducing Joerg's post to "blablabla" offensive.
There is one missing post... Containing SEARCH , he should know that i already knew all that... joergrw and i have discussed a lot of this before, the audiodiscussion was moved to a separate thread ... I do want that device and i have waited more than 20 years for it (since when i carried an atari portfolio pocketPC in one pocket and a ericsson NMT cellphone in the other and a 1200baud highspeedmoden in the third)

BUT i mainly wrote what i wrote as a *defense for joergrw* against all of those who wanted hdmi-vga-tvcard-rapberryPI-god-knows-what crammed into that small formfactor, ...there just isnt enough room for all of that in the n900 case.

(To build a new case as a one-off is not that troublesome for me, but i havent told anyone here about that, it is the electronics+software that is the hard part, but there is also a lot more that makes it suitable for the future rather than now)

Last edited by electroaudio; 2014-01-13 at 10:19.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to electroaudio For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Actually the last two pages illustrate why my job is made harder than it should be. I landed from a flight and saw multiple reports with no action taken roughly 12hours later so I moved the off-topic posts to off-topic as guess what even after requesting a few times, no Neo900 sub-forum has been created. I posted too about moving and a request for people to put a pause to their fantasies.

Evidently, my post didn't go through and since I made a mistake not to recheck it before sleeping comfortably, two more pages of irrelevant posts were born.

Quite some time ago I had given up moderating this thread as it's too much of a moving target and instead switched to moderating it only when offensive comments are posted.

I sincerely apologise for my post explaining the posts movement not going through. I also hope that next time instead of posting about moderation with notes to move their post to off-topic people use the report this function or simply wait for some while for an explanation. My time zone is pretty different from the vast majority of posters here so the response time may be different.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
thanks to chemist:
you might have noticed already: this thread moved to http://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=57
There's another new subforum born as a twin of this: http://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=58

So now we will be free to create new threads closely linked to the mixedpickles-thread here, by topic. I hope this simplifies the duty of moderators and allows users to start new topics on new threads instead of creating more overlength to this thread.
Please note that, while I get notification mail about new posts in this thread, I probably will miss on new threads started in http://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5(7|8), so maybe a single post "I started a new thread about acme-foobar, see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=999999999999" in here might help to keep us all up to date.

Same time I got moderator powers granted which I regularly will NOT use. So much just for the record and to avoid later misconceptions about me not telling true facts when I stated I had no power to move/delete posts yesterday. By the time it been basically correct. And you won't generally see me doing any moderation from now on either, I leave that to those who are better qualified for that task

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-01-13 at 18:04.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
I am not asking for elitist criticism about how much better this apparently is than other smartphones, and yes, it is a mobile computer, that's great and all, I owned one, it was a great device, with severely outdated hardware.

The current asking price for it, if you are going to keep using hardware that was outdated even when this project was in conceptual stages, I believe is not fair.

A 1ghz single core ARM processor, still does not compare to even the 1ghz Pentium 3 in my old IBM Thinkpad R30, due to ARM processors generally having less performance per mhz.

RAM will not solve all of the N900's flaws, but even having an addition core at the lowly 1ghz, will greatly mitigate them and make this actually valid in the modern world.

As said, I don't mean to criticize the amazing work you people have done, I just don't feel that, in it's current state, it's worth the asked price, when the hardware was outdated in 2011.

Edit: Please correct me if any of this information is incorrect, I don't mean to offend anyone through this, and have seen quite volatile and elitist replies, that do not consider other people can have different opinions, in the past.

Last edited by ShadowOfScales; 2014-01-15 at 13:21. Reason: more info.

The Following User Says Thank You to ShadowOfScales For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by ShadowOfScales View Post
The current asking price for it, if you are going to keep using hardware that was outdated even when this project was in conceptual stages, I believe is not fair.
Yes, it is expensive, yes, it is outdated. But I fail to see how the price can be "not fair" when we're at almost zero profit levels.

Building and producing hardware in such small quantities is always expensive and there's no way to overcome it other than building more devices.

As said, I don't mean to criticize the amazing work you people have done, I just don't feel that, in it's current state, it's worth the asked price, when the hardware was outdated in 2011.
If it's not worth the price for you, then ok - it's after all your choice of priorities Just be aware that similar project with up-to-date specs would cost probably even more that twice as much as this one. And getting some newer components in small quantities may be even not possible at all - so to make such project possible at all you would need few zeros more on preorder counter. And with few zeros more, Neo900 would actually cost around 100-200 EUR I guess.

Edit: Please correct me if any of this information is incorrect, I don't mean to offend anyone through this, and have seen quite volatile and elitist replies, that do not consider other people can have different opinions, in the past.
It's not really the matter of opinion. We just can't lower the prices without paying for the devices from our own pockets. The only way to do that is to build more devices, and for that we need more preorders. The more preorders we get, the cheaper the final device will be for everyone.

The price estimations are based on how much it costs to build one device, not how much we would like to be paid for one. Please keep that in mind. I guess there will be some small profit margin added to the price to keep things like http://projects.goldelico.com/p/open...PaidDeveloper/ running. Compare that to the premium price of Apple devices :P

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
BTW. New news entry on the website. Nothing new if you have carefully followed this thread, but if you didn't, then see http://neo900.org/news-0008-progress-update-january

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by dos1
With the biggest obstacles now overcome, we are again gaining speed to reach the next goal.
Probably just semantics, but anyway:
What is "the next goal"?

Up to recently the next milestone was finding a source/replacement for the molex connector.
What's the next "big thing" on your agenda?

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Probably just semantics, but anyway:
What is "the next goal"?

Up to recently the next milestone was finding a source/replacement for the molex connector.
What's the next "big thing" on your agenda?
World domination obviously

...but before that there's also phase 6 - 1000 devices.

The Following User Says Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
from EE / R&D side next goal is obviously first working prototype, but it will get achieved via a few intermediate steps.

/j

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!