Active Topics

So this is my story

My phone all of a sudden started doing stuff by itself 1-2 weeks ago.. would type random letters in chat, open random links/zoom in and out in web browser... essentially it was like a ghost was using my phone. This would only happen, say, once a day. As soon as I locked/unlocked the phone it would go away

Then, I could also use the phone at times without touching the keypad, i could put my finger near the screen and it would register as me touching it.... So I could (try) to type a message without touching the screen... again, this would disappear as soon as i lock/unlock the phone.

Took it to Nokia (and couldn't show them at the time what it was doing as it only happens sometimes), they replaced the display and re flashed..... Got it back and it was still doing it a few days later

Took it back again, and luckily it was going spastic in front of them so they could see the problem for themselves. They booked it in for repair... Went back today to pick it up. They re flashed, saying it was the 3rd party app causing it (N9 Tweak).....

So I walked out of Nokia, went up the street, and again, my phone was registering me touching the screen when I wasn't (it wasn't going nuts by itself though)... This is a problem they hadn't seen themselves before

Walked BACK in, showed them footage of the problem (this was footage i'd taken on my spare N9 a few days earlier... didn't manage to capture it doing it today because when I pulled out my spare n9 it stopped doing it). Because the footage was from a few days ago they said they would need to take the phone again for a longer period of time to test it themselves.

Now, can people on here please tell me whether they've had a problem with the N9 Tweak APP..... either the phone going spastic by itself intermittently, or, the touchscreen working when your finger is in close proximity (not actually touching it)

They said they would send it back to me in a few days to save me travelling there, either my current one or a new one if they can see it happening for themselves

I can understand how maybe an app can cause the phone to type a whole sms of gibberish by itself, i don't understand though how it could cause the touchscreen to behave the way it is

Any help/suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
No problems so far. Nokia might make up a story just because they Don't know the real problem. Nokia is a useless you company nowaday

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

I assume your spare N9 behaves correctly.

If the problem one miss behaves even after a re-flash and after Nokia have changed the screen (ie: tried to repair it). Then I think you are entitled to a replacement phone, as it's not fit for the job it was designed for.

I don't know where you are from, but here in the UK that is the law, push them to replace it. After all you paid out good money for it, they have seen how it behaves, they have tried to repair it and it still does not work correctly. It's a lemon they need to replace it.

Originally Posted by JonWW View Post
I assume your spare N9 behaves correctly.

If the problem one miss behaves even after a re-flash and after Nokia have changed the screen (ie: tried to repair it). Then I think you are entitled to a replacement phone, as it's not fit for the job it was designed for.

I don't know where you are from, but here in the UK that is the law, push them to replace it. After all you paid out good money for it, they have seen how it behaves, they have tried to repair it and it still does not work correctly. It's a lemon they need to replace it.
Yeah my spare N9 works fine! No problems whatsoever. They tried to pin the issue on the N9 Tweak app i had installed... however this has been installed for months and has never caused an issue. After the first reflash they did i downloaded it but didn't even open it/use it

What I find interesting is that people on the IPAD/IPAD 2 have experienced EXACTLY the same problem as me
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Apple have replaced the IPAD on the spot in most situations

If they haven't sent me a new phone by the end of the week and it happens again, i'm going to call Nokia Australia directly and demand a new phone

PS. I'm from Australia

I had a 64GB N9 that I bought from Harvey Norman doing the exact same thing. Found out that it was from the first original batch of N9 that had a hardware fault. They took it back and gave me a brand new one. Sounds like you may have the same problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to wormdrummer For This Useful Post:
Next time, it would be advisable to completely zeroize your N9 beforehand so they can't possibly try to blame the problem on 3rd party apps. This would also help keep your data safe (by destroying it all ).

Zeroizing your N9 with flasher

Download Navifirm+ and retrieve main and eMMC images (the large files) for your product code and release 20.2011.40.4 (PR1.1)
Note: If you're using an imported N9, download your home country's eMMC or the generic no-maps-included eMMC

Install Flasher 3.12.1 (Windows version)

Open an administrative Command Prompt
cd "%programfiles%\nokia\flasher"
Disconnect the phone from USB and power it off
flasher -i
Attach the USB cable and quickly power on the phone, then wait for flasher to come back with the firmware version on your phone

If the phone has a low battery charge, leave it alone for a while
flasher -f -F c:\path\to\main.bin --flash-only=rootfs --erase-user-data=secure
flasher -f -F c:\path\to\main.bin -F c:\path\to\emmc.bin --flash-only=mmc
flasher -R
Power on the phone

Last edited by itsnotabigtruck; 2012-02-22 at 05:45.

Originally Posted by wormdrummer View Post
I had a 64GB N9 that I bought from Harvey Norman doing the exact same thing. Found out that it was from the first original batch of N9 that had a hardware fault. They took it back and gave me a brand new one. Sounds like you may have the same problem.

Glad you shared that info with me.. Will definitely hammer them to get a replacement if they end up sending me back my original phone