Poll: What is the best time for you ?
Poll Options
What is the best time for you ?

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
As suggested in the community mailing list, and in order to get more software into Extras, I'm thinking in organize a Extras-testing marathon, this can be a starting point for future similar initiatives.

My plans are:

- Get a lot of N900 owners and developers with applications in the extras-testing repository in a IRC channel.
- Run through the list of packages, testing all of them, leaving comments and reporting bugs. Always encouraging the discussion with the developer(s) attending the session.

More fun things can be done. Suggestions ?

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
It feels almost stupid that this has to be organized at all because this should ALREADY BE HAPPENING ANYWAYS. 300 people got N900s at Summit and apparently aren't interested in helping at all. Incredible.

Add another option... "Anytime", please.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
hum ...

I didn't have time to test things made by other ... as my primary goal is to made my own application available for testing ...

And as at the maemo summit there was many developpers, i think most of them are trying to port their application, instead of testing the other available.

But i ll try to found some time to do it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
hum ...

I didn't have time to test things made by other ... as my primary goal is to made my own application available for testing ...

And as at the maemo summit there was many developpers, i think most of them are trying to port their application, instead of testing the other available.

But i ll try to found some time to do it.
That's fine, but you can't tell me you didn't install ANY apps from extras-devel or extras-testing. And if you have, it just takes a second to thumb up or thumb down.

We're just asking you to take a moment of your time if you've tried out the apps there, that's all. We're not expecting extensive testing.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
I think one issue is the package interface is a separate flow from using the apps.

One idea is something like red pill mode, if there was a testers mode where we could report from the app manager and be requested to report on upgrade and uninstall, I think there would be a lot more feedback.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by epage View Post
One idea is something like red pill mode, if there was a testers mode where we could report from the app manager and be requested to report on upgrade and uninstall, I think there would be a lot more feedback.
It'd be a great project to really get things moving on the hildon-application-manager development collaboration.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I suspect most people using apps from extras-testing don't even know how to get to the page where they can register their thumbs-up or thumbs-down.

A link to the extras-testing page should be spammed everywhere, on the front of maemo.org downloads, in the mailing lists, here on talk...

This is the Extras Testing QA link! Spread it far and wide!

(I keep forgetting myself )

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
spamming the link is good, but it still does not get the correct eyes infront of the correct app tickbox.

apps installed from extras-testing should/could be added to a special list on the device.
then using the same "Updates available" ui, flash and solicit feedback directly on the device sometime after installation, or when the user goes back into the app manager "installed application" list.

"Its been 24hours since you installed uber widget, what do you think?"

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
khertan,

the idea is collaboration.
Its not just a chance for you to test other peoples apps.
its a chance for other people to test your apps.

btw, the sooner we decide on a day, the more chance people will have to prepare their apps for that day.
i've chosen the saturday partly because everyone else has, and partly because then it gives a couple of extra valuable days for developers test/debug things themselves so we get as many through as possible.

daniel, will the servers cope with a burst of activity?

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post: