Posts: 19 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Ive JUST ordered my N810, bit late I know, but looking at projects such as Mer it seems to still have a lot of value.

Nokia have just started this app store:
http://maemo.nokia.com/maemo-select/applications/

My question is that when it opens, will these apps run on the N810? I mean theyre all just linux apps so surely theres nothing stopping them, especially the desktop widgets.

Anyway, Im new to this so I have no idea haha.

One last quick thing, I know people ask this loads but I cant find a straight answer, are there any projects to port Maemo 5 to the N8x0?

Thanks

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I believe that page is for Maemo 5 only. Yes, they're both Linux, but quite a lot has changed between Maemo 4 and 5, especially in the area of desktop widgets. At the moment there are more apps for Maemo 4 than for 5, but most of the new stuff will be Maemo 5 only, I'm afraid. Hopefully some developers will continue to update their Maemo 4 apps.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer is the closest you'll get to Maemo 5 on N8x0.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Aaah thats a shame. Yeah I was looking at Mer but I saw the schedule and they seemed to be really behind and I assumed that development had stopped due to Maemo 5 :/

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Kassel, Germany
just curious - will Mer be further supported, or will just become something like OS2008 HE?

at this point i feel it looked more like a planned Maemo 5 HE...

... which is not a bad thing at all

As I do understand this, Mer is Maemo5 ported to n800/n810. this port is supported by Nokia, however most of the work is done by community, not Nokia.
So it depends on volunteers, how this project moves forward.

As Maemo5 is still not complete, Mer is moving target. Moreover, lots depends on how can Maemo5 be supported on n800 hardware. (and probably on availability of promised 3d support as well.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hyartep For This Useful Post: