Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I think Shuttleworth have lined up some corporate pledgers for the last minute and I wouldn't be surprised if he personally kicks in $5-10M just to get this project funded.

(I got in at $600 level. yay.)
Mark spaceshuttle has already said he won't bail out this campaign because this device must be able to carry it self. I think that is good, because if it can't handle the "small" amount it's not meant to be.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Canonical posted an announcement 3 hours ago

Your questions answered, and a new perk

Hi everyone

First up, we’ve added a FOUNDER WITH STYLE perk, which gets you an Ubuntu Edge t-shirt designed by the same team that crafted the phone. It’s live now at the $50 contribution level.

We’ve also had a lot of emails and comments over the past week, so we thought we'd address the most common questions here in the update.

What networks are supported?
The Ubuntu Edge is an unlocked device that works in all countries with GSM/3G/LTE network services. For GSM, which covers a lot of countries but not all operators, the Edge will support the 850, 900, 1800, 1900 and 2100 MHz frequencies. You can check support in your country here.

The Edge will support LTE standard frequencies and multi-band support for roaming. Yes, you can use the Edge on Verizon and Sprint.

Will the phone work with my Mac?
Ubuntu Edge can be connected to any laptop via USB and will appear as a mass storage device. You can transfer files as required.

Will there be an Ubuntu app store?
Yes, you will be able to download free and paid-for applications.

Will the Ubuntu Edge be sustainable and/or hardware hackable?
While we will do our best to keep the hardware as open as possible, these are not the main focus of the project in its first generation. Hardware that’s capable of convergence is the priority.

Have you chosen a CPU/GPU?
We have not chosen a supplier or an architecture yet -- whether x86 or ARM. The decision will be taken before production to ensure the fastest available components, and will be driven by benchmarking.

Are you going to make a 64GB model?
We firmly believe that to offer a fully converged experience you need 128GB. Cutting down the specs goes against the ethos of the campaign. You can still access cloud storage and external HDD via USB 3.0.

Why is your screen 4.5 inches and 720p?
At 4.5 inches the move from 720p to 1080p brings little noticeable benefit and puts a greater strain on the hardware and battery. We’re more concerned with photo-realistic colours and contrast.
What are you doing with audio?

With stereo speakers and dual-mic stereo recording, adaptive noise cancelling technology, and a solid DSP, audiophiles should have everything they need.
Where and when is the unveiling event?

We will confirm the unveiling event later this year, subject to a successful campaign.

If you have more questions please ask -- we’re doing our best to answer them all.

Keep on referring and sharing the campaign!
The Ubuntu Edge team

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
No T-Mobile 3G in the U.S.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North America
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
No T-Mobile 3G in the U.S.
Yeah, no 1700 listed as GSM

But.. Tmobile runs 3G on 1900MHz in some regions and if the device supports LTE/AWS band IV then it will have 4G support on 1700MHz and 3G everywhere tmo runs 3G on 1900

I don't have a citation on hand but I believe tmo's long term strategy is to ditch all 2g, convert all 2g to 3G, and convert all their 1700/2100 nationwide to run 4G... 2014 March enough lead time to not get caught in the middle/stuck on 2g in regions?

I just bought a shirt but it seams that the money will be refunded. I also think that both ubuntu and jolla shirt are really ugly, why not design a nice one that you can use?

anyway - 16368 founders ATM, unfortunately its seems to be too few.

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-07-31 at 11:52.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
It's gonna happen if Mike wants it to, cause a few $M is just not that much for Shuttleworth. Unless if he has already planned all along to make this just a 'free' publicity ride (and market research) before the main event.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by bjv View Post
Yeah, no 1700 listed as GSM

But.. Tmobile runs 3G on 1900MHz in some regions and if the device supports LTE/AWS band IV then it will have 4G support on 1700MHz and 3G everywhere tmo runs 3G on 1900

I don't have a citation on hand but I believe tmo's long term strategy is to ditch all 2g, convert all 2g to 3G, and convert all their 1700/2100 nationwide to run 4G... 2014 March enough lead time to not get caught in the middle/stuck on 2g in regions?
This is what T-Mobile site says

4G Long Term Evolution (LTE) is an enhancement of T-Mobile’s nationwide 4G HSPA+ technology. LTE delivers faster speeds—especially for uploads—and more capacity.

T-Mobile’s 4G LTE network will operate on the same band as our 4G HSPA+ network, Band IV, which uses 1700 MHz and 2100 MHz frequencies to transmit data services.
4G LTE does not carry voice services, so calls will fall back to our HSPA+ network until voice over LTE (VoLTE) software is ready.
T-Mobile’s 4G LTE equipment will be the newest and most up-to-date of any carrier.
The 4G LTE experience will differ depending on several factors including spectrum configuration, device, coverage, and location.

On my Note 2 I get about 20mb/s to 30mb/s max download and 10mb/s to 20mb/s upload speed on 4G/4GLTE in Gaithersburg MD

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
It's gonna happen if Mike wants it to, cause a few $M is just not that much for Shuttleworth. Unless if he has already planned all along to make this just a 'free' publicity ride (and market research) before the main event.
Sure, he has the money but as I told you he said he won't do it. If the campaign fails I think they will concentrate their effort to launching ubuntu for other devices.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Canonical posted an announcement 3 hours ago

Your questions answered, and a new perk

Hi everyone

First up, we’ve added a FOUNDER WITH STYLE perk, which gets you an Ubuntu Edge t-shirt designed by the same team that crafted the phone. It’s live now at the $50 contribution level.

We’ve also had a lot of emails and comments over the past week, so we thought we'd address the most common questions here in the update.

What networks are supported?
The Ubuntu Edge is an unlocked device that works in all countries with GSM/3G/LTE network services. For GSM, which covers a lot of countries but not all operators, the Edge will support the 850, 900, 1800, 1900 and 2100 MHz frequencies. You can check support in your country here.

The Edge will support LTE standard frequencies and multi-band support for roaming. Yes, you can use the Edge on Verizon and Sprint.

Will the phone work with my Mac?
Ubuntu Edge can be connected to any laptop via USB and will appear as a mass storage device. You can transfer files as required.

Will there be an Ubuntu app store?
Yes, you will be able to download free and paid-for applications.

Will the Ubuntu Edge be sustainable and/or hardware hackable?
While we will do our best to keep the hardware as open as possible, these are not the main focus of the project in its first generation. Hardware that’s capable of convergence is the priority.

Have you chosen a CPU/GPU?
We have not chosen a supplier or an architecture yet -- whether x86 or ARM. The decision will be taken before production to ensure the fastest available components, and will be driven by benchmarking.

Are you going to make a 64GB model?
We firmly believe that to offer a fully converged experience you need 128GB. Cutting down the specs goes against the ethos of the campaign. You can still access cloud storage and external HDD via USB 3.0.

Why is your screen 4.5 inches and 720p?
At 4.5 inches the move from 720p to 1080p brings little noticeable benefit and puts a greater strain on the hardware and battery. We’re more concerned with photo-realistic colours and contrast.
What are you doing with audio?

With stereo speakers and dual-mic stereo recording, adaptive noise cancelling technology, and a solid DSP, audiophiles should have everything they need.
Where and when is the unveiling event?

We will confirm the unveiling event later this year, subject to a successful campaign.

If you have more questions please ask -- we’re doing our best to answer them all.

Keep on referring and sharing the campaign!
The Ubuntu Edge team

Haha

Hahaha

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Sure, he has the money but as I told you he said he won't do it. If the campaign fails I think they will concentrate their effort to launching ubuntu for other devices.
Maybe Bill Gates will, in a philanthropic gesture, provide the rest of the campaign needs...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post: