Posts: 248 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
Originally Posted by D4rKlar View Post
We have chromium, it was ported by Jacekowski and is hosted in his private repo due to patent issues. Look for http://maemo.jacekowski.org, it should be under pool/free/c

Kind Regards,
D4rK
This links to a repo which refers to Maemo_4.

the link still works fine, its a shame that the syncing doesn't work on this version

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
the link still works fine, its a shame that the syncing doesn't work on this version
It would be better to have this as an official download - I (for one) do not tend to build in third-party repos, or extras, for stability and security reasons.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
i've downloaded the latest source and looked into recompiling for maemo5.
I must say, it didn't look exactly a walk in park, they recommend a GOOD cpu and 6GB of ram to prevent compilation errors. As my laptop is not powerfull nor that big, i gave up. YMMV

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Netweaver For This Useful Post:
I found a couple of older threads that discuss chromium:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=23322

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33051

And the bottom line seems to be that chromium was possible, was available for some version of Maemo, but Nokia dropped it, so it was dropped from here. That is problematic, because it sounds that whatever the community might want/accept is secondary to what Nokia will allow. One suggestion in these threads was that a separate off-site repository be established to accommodate things that would be perfectly acceptable to many n900 (etc) users, but not allowable by Nokia for some reason. Given the uncertainty surrounding the future of Maemo in relation to Nokia, this idea seems even more apt. Perhaps a kind of alt.maemo.org?

Then, anything that appears stable, well-tested, but not acceptable to Nokia could be housed there (including ports to other hardware? and alternative software ports to n8/9xx). It seems silly for this community to be held back by the manufacturer of the device (which they seem to have lost interest in).

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
I have compiled the linux version (6.x i think) on a P3 1Ghz 1GB with no probs. But it took a while

regarding the repo issue:
it is in the debian repos. why don't they worry?

The Following User Says Thank You to casketizer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 675 | Thanked: 923 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by mishmich View Post
You didn't read what I said, did you?

By repos I mean standard repos, not some guy's repos, which relies on stuff in extras to work.

Mish
Yes, I did, hence the explanation of why it isn't in official repos.

Either way, I'm pretty sure it's not getting updated so all you need to do is install it, you can then remove the repo.

I've used it since day 1, mainly for sites that don't show well on MicroB, and with the right extensions enabled it's not bad. Themes for Chrome also work.

Edit: The path I gave earlier was incorrect, but he's definitely got Chromium in there. Qole also has it in his repo.

Kind Regards,
D4rK
* D4rKlar on DeviantART * Maemo5 on DeviantART *
_
* M4riNa D4rK Theme and Iconset *
_

Last edited by D4rKlar; 2011-03-22 at 09:22.

Does anyone know if chromium works with bluetooth/usb mice?

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by mishmich View Post
And the bottom line seems to be that chromium was possible, was available for some version of Maemo, but Nokia dropped it, so it was dropped from here. That is problematic, because it sounds that whatever the community might want/accept is secondary to what Nokia will allow. One suggestion in these threads was that a separate off-site repository be established to accommodate things that would be perfectly acceptable to many n900 (etc) users, but not allowable by Nokia for some reason. Given the uncertainty surrounding the future of Maemo in relation to Nokia, this idea seems even more apt. Perhaps a kind of alt.maemo.org?
Please re-read the threads and communications, then. Sequence of events:
  1. Chromium through Extras(-*)
  2. Nokia received a C&D from Red Panda relating to Chromium on maemo.org (this would go to Nemein now)
  3. Nokia discusses with Maemo Community Council, the Chromium maintainer and the maemo.org staff.
  4. Consensus is to remove following Nokia Legal advice. Council offers to help Chromium maintainer get in touch with Red Panda to discuss what technical approaches would make them happy. The removal can therefore be seen as a gesture of goodwill before opening community-level communications.
  5. Chromium maintainer publishes it in his own repo; and does not take up Council's offer.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the clarification. Still seems a huge pity.