Closed Thread
I don't think they could get away with that at this point. I think they need to offer him a senior position, and we all understand that's not going to happen under Elop, yes?

The current twitter convo is looking really bad for Nokia and Ahonen both. Calling Ahonen names without backing up the claim is really weak "social media strategy". It's belittling and, well, amateur hour. On the other hand, Ahonen is so aggressive, it'll hurt his position too.

this time John, I AM angry and I will escallate this like you can't believe....

Last edited by volt; 2012-05-09 at 19:53.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by volt View Post
The current twitter convo is looking really bad for Nokia and Ahonen both. Calling Ahonen names without backing up the claim is really weak "social media strategy". It's belittling and, well, amateur hour. On the other hand, Ahonen is so aggressive, it'll hurt his position too.
I'm really not sure that it will hurt Ahonen. He has far less to lose from it and the people who know who he is are far more likely to agree with his sentiments.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

http://www.wired.co.uk/magazine/arch...stand?page=all

Interesting post in wired. Highlights:

"Google acknowledged this when it acquired Android in 2005"

Might be popular knowledge, but Android not being Google's own invention doesn't surprise being a hit (with so many betas failed, what they do good is finishing touches on existing concepts, see gmail)

"This is enormously important for Nokia: by the end of this year, Ahonen points out, the Chinese smartphone market will be twice the size of the US market."

US-centric viewers, can we stop the **** now? (to be fair: "Maybe Elop has kissed and made up," says Ahonen, "but my gut instinct is that China will be a bad market for Lumia." is also in the article)

"Today, we have far fewer engineers working on OS plumbing, which is a huge consumer of R&D resource," Elop says. "Let them [Microsoft] build it, and we'll place on top things that differentiate us." Consumers, he adds, really don't care which OS powers their handsets. "[What consumers] want is a handset that offers a faster experience and does the job in fewer steps than other platforms."

Years of bringing OS to usability state accepted by QA (sure WP is far from it) is a huge cost, with 3 platforms being developed at the same time...

"Nokia, which employs 1,600 geographers in its mapping division, offers turn-by-turn driving instructions in 50 languages in 100 countries. Google's competing service, Google Maps with navigation, covers a mere 28 countries and one language -- English."

1600??? wtf

"The Nokia-Microsoft deal resembles an iceberg: nine-tenths of the detail is buried beneath the waterline. According to Elop, the deal is underpinned by two major flows of cash. The first involves "product support payments" from Microsoft to Nokia, the first of which -- worth £150 million -- landed on Nokia's balance sheet in the final quarter of 2011. The second major flow runs in the opposite direction: royalty payments that Nokia makes to Microsoft each time it sells a handset running Windows Phone."

Anti-nokians cheer, this seems like a last nail in the coffin (though ffs, this doesn't make much sense, first we pay you for every handset with our OS, then you???)

"Offloading OS development to Microsoft has saved Nokia a substantial amount of money. But doing this only makes sense if you believe that owning an operating system matters a lot less in the mobile realm than it did in the PC industry. Ben Evans believes that what really matters is getting operators to stock your phones and building up apps. "Nokia and Microsoft don't yet have an app ecosystem," he explains. "But as a developer, if you come to them from Android, it feels great.""

I'd need some comment on that part.

Originally Posted by volt View Post
Side note: a few months ago a survey showed that Windows 8 was the most-wanted OS for tablets in the general population.
Care to provide the source for that?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
http://mynokiablog.com/2012/05/11/si...a-900-in-cyan/

Nokia should use stuff like this in marketing!

Originally Posted by cBeam View Post
And sorry for being on topic.
What a dive:
http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=N...rce=undefined;

-62%

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
http://mynokiablog.com/2012/05/11/si...a-900-in-cyan/

Nokia should use stuff like this in marketing!

They already are doing, woops I meant MicroNokia already doing that. Microsoft is probvadly paying Apple to get some attention on Lumia. And Apple already knows WP is doomed so just take the money and dont care...

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Nokia stock raised a bit today. It must be because people are stupid and thinks Lumia will sell as hell now when Nokia has remove N9 from the homepages...

Or hopefully because some Chinese or South-Korean company is going to take over Nokia.

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen