Notices

Posts: 370 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Italy
Dunno how I solved it, perhaps it was only a repo momentarily down - installing right now!

Originally Posted by jurop88 View Post
Cannot install: missing package gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-extra
I looked for the package and an 'apt-cache search' found only gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad.
I lost lot of time trying to understand what's going on, the pkg seems to be included in the PR1.3 update, my device is 1.3 up-to-date (already checked). I had not been able to find an installable 'bad-extra' pkg
Clues?

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 535 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Karlsruhe, Germany
Marble 1.2.0-1 is in extras-testing for some days now. If you're using it, please give it a vote:
Marble 1.2.0-1
Marble Maps 1.2.0-1

If you're using offline routing with monav-0.3 please also vote for it. It's hanging in the waiting queue for ten weeks now

@Redsandro, Estel: Setting persistentTileCacheLimit=0 in the [Cache] section in /home/user/MyDocs/.config/kde.org/Marble Desktop Globe.conf disables cache deletion. Actually that should be the default on Maemo. Does Marble delete tiles on your system? It should only refresh them after one week when visiting an area again. The refresh timeout can be configured in openstreetmap.dgml.

@Redsandro: Can you tell me which country map you downloaded and which search query/queries you tried? Searching should just work after installing a country map (from the monav config dialog). It needs a working sqlite Qt plugin, maybe that is missing on your system?

@mase: Is the sound still not working? Which speaker are you using?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Is there any full screen mode? An OSD control by clicking in the right down corner like in Micro B would be nice...

Edit: [Facepalm]! it's an option when long press!

Last edited by ivgalvez; 2011-08-03 at 17:56.

@earthwings: I just got back from Berlin. Anything I searched for, from pizza to specific addresses or streetnames, found zero results. I was using the monav Germany motorbike map.

Also, I think only when there was a (non-working) internet connection, anything I'd look at on the carefully preloaded map would gradually pixellate and get destroyed. Feels like throwing away old shoes before having new ones. Maybe the cache policy can change for this, because it doesn't make sense to destroy the tile you're looking at if it cannot download an updated tile. It should maybe throw away the least accessed tiles, or the farthest away tiles, or any random tile except the ones being looked at.

I think part of the preloaded cache had wrong permissions (my bad (good actually), I copied from PC because I preloaded on PC) because it kept working, and in this case using OSM on Berlin was pretty awesome because with the tracking feature as a reference it was very easy to find your way around.

Nice nice nice.

i've logged a bug
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=278656

basically it's a showstopper for me. i'm using the map of ireland, and while marble/monav draws the route on the map, most of the turn by turn instructions are missing.

i've downloaded the offical monav gui from the monav website (which isn't in the repositories) and it gives the correct turn by turn instructions, so i don't think it's a monav problem.

i've even hacked the offical monav gui maps into marble and it's still the same for ireland.

i wouldn't feel confident planning a big european road trip with marble as i would have no idea when this bug would appearin other areas.

EDIT: i've confirmed the problem for some areas in Berlin,Germany. the offical monav navigation gui is fine, but marble's integration with the monav routing daemon seems broken. the semi-common way to reproduce the problem is to include a route that includes the intersection of 3 roads, i.e. a 'fork' in the road (i.e. a 'Y' shape). small (minor) roads, especially. to reproduce the problem, plot a route from the top of the 'Y' down to the intersection and then back up to the other top of the 'Y'. it doesn't work for every 'Y' intersection, but does for many. marble plots the route on the map correctly, but driving instructions ignore the turning and tell you to go straight on.

EDIT2:after more experimenting, the problem seems related to street/road names. if the streets/roads have the same name or have no name, then marble borks. is marble relying on street names for turn by turn driving guidance?! that's pretty optimistic..

Last edited by marbleuser; 2011-08-05 at 06:49.

@Redsandro: To workaround the cache problem, edit openstreetmap.dgml and increase the cache timeout. It's currently one week.
I guess that the root of the problem was an Internet connection where you get some login screen. When requesting a tile update, instead of the .png file the .html login site is then saved to the cache. Since it cannot be loaded as an image, you get pixelated images. I filed bug 279431 for this.
For the search problem, can you check whether there's a .sqlite file for Berlin somewhere in /home/user/MyDocs/.local/share/marble/maps/earth/placemarks/?

@marbleuser: You're right that Marble generates the turn instructions itself and omits instructions when the street name is the same. My intention to implement it like that was to avoid a huge load of unnecessary instructions for each and every curve. I can play with disabling the check to see how noisy the instructions get.

I'm out for three weeks now, expect no posts here in between. Please keep voting for
Marble 1.2.0-1
Marble Maps 1.2.0-1
monav-0.3
though

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Hi earthwings,

I've upgraded to Marble 1.2.0-1. But still I can't find an option where to select the speakers. Probably i'm looking for this option on the wrong places.

@Fellfrosch: When you press (pen or finger) on the routing info box for about two seconds, you get a context menu with an entry to configure it. In the upcoming dialog you can choose the speaker.

@Redsandro: Setting Marble to offline mode should be a better workaround btw to avoid tile updates.

The Following User Says Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Ok thanks, that works.
Wish you a nice holiday

Originally Posted by earthwings View Post
Marble 1.2.0-1 is in extras-testing for some days now. If you're using it, please give it a vote:
@Redsandro, Estel: Setting persistentTileCacheLimit=0 in the [Cache] section in /home/user/MyDocs/.config/kde.org/Marble Desktop Globe.conf disables cache deletion.
You're right, it's already like this by default. But the path is like so:
/home/user/.config/kde.org/Marble Desktop Globe.conf (without MyDocs)

Setting Marble to offline mode should be a better workaround btw to avoid tile updates.
Yes, I thought of that, I think it didn't take until I restarted the app. Might have been confusion, so cannot confirm this definitely. :P

Originally Posted by earthwings View Post
@Redsandro: To workaround the cache problem, edit openstreetmap.dgml and increase the cache timeout. It's currently one week.
I'll try. I am a bit confused about all the paths though. Why do linux apps usually have 2, 3 or 4 paths in ~ for storage? It's not because of the different types of RAM, because it's like this on desktop, too.

~/MyDocs/.local/share/marble/maps/earth/ has no openstreetmap.dgml but has osmarender.dgml
~/MyDocs/.maps/ has OpenStreetMap I folder but no .dgml

I guess that the root of the problem was an Internet connection where you get some login screen.
That's a good candidate for a possibility. Most of these open hotspots have this loginscreen. Dunno why, people don't like to be nagged. :P

For the search problem, can you check whether there's a .sqlite file for Berlin somewhere in /home/user/MyDocs/.local/share/marble/maps/earth/placemarks/?
~/MyDocs/.local/share/marble/maps/earth/placemarks $ ls -lah europe/
drwxrwxrwx 2 user root 64.0k May 25 10:49 .
drwxrwxrwx 3 user root 64.0k May 22 01:52 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 user root 223.9M May 25 10:49 germany.sqlite
-rw-r--r-- 1 user root 3.1M May 25 12:28 netherlands.sqlite
-rw-r--r-- 1 user root 5.5k May 25 12:28 netherlands.sqlite-journal

Have a nice three weeks out!

Tags
marble, nokia n900