http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7442BP20110505

"Samsung 29%, Nokia 28%, Apple 10%, RIM and HTC 8%

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to j.s For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
With all of the hoopla around the Galaxy S series of smartphones, it's easy to miss the fact that Samsung is a major player in the featurephone category of devices. Smartphones seem as the 'sports car' of the phone world, elevating the status of lesser devices that share the same brand. Nokia's butchering of their smartphone brand will certainly affect more areas than simply their smartphone sales.

I suspect that companies will continue to capitalize on Nokia's losses. Nokia has to go back to basics, and with 7,000 jobs being cut in the next 2 years, I suspect that upper management sees the same path forward.

I predict that they will likely end up being bought by Microsoft when they've lost enough blood.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
funny thing being weak nokia still will be 1% phone manufacturer
bad for em they will never rule smartphone one ever again.

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Smartphones seem as the 'sports car' of the phone world, elevating the status of lesser devices that share the same brand. Nokia's butchering of their smartphone brand will certainly affect more areas than simply their smartphone sales.
This is what i have been saying for 2 years already!!!!!

The most immediate thing is the fact smartphones are taking over the market. Basic phones will of course stay but smartphones are over half of even Nokia's all phones sold already.

The second thing that you are touching there is that phones like Galaxy S, HTC Desire, N95 are so much more than just huge revenue makers. Those products elevate your brand helping the mid, bottom end, gather mind share, bring developers etc. These product themselves are their own ecosystem.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
The second thing that you are touching there is that phones like Galaxy S, HTC Desire, N95 are so much more than just huge revenue makers.
I find it interesting that you include the N95 in this list. I had the use of one for a few weeks and I thought it was a big pile of pooh.

Those products elevate your brand helping the mid, bottom end, gather mind share, bring developers etc. These product themselves are their own ecosystem.
Elevate the brand to a big pile of pooh maybe? Or am I just stressing the point that has already been made by Capt'n Corrupt when he says "Nokia's butchering of their smartphone brand"?

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Nokia is now a dying company especially since the bonding with Microsoft, i hope they die alltogether !.

Originally Posted by Rebski View Post
I find it interesting that you include the N95 in this list. I had the use of one for a few weeks and I thought it was a big pile of pooh.
well it was the year Nokia had it's record profits and N95 sold 16 million at the time when smartphones where still nothing. It was huge deal that at the time and the most advanced phone by the number one brand. Same like the GS that has sold 14 million in 2010 and in a overnight made smartphone nobody to the most followed and number one brand from Android side

Elevate the brand to a big pile of pooh maybe? Or am I just stressing the point that has already been made by Capt'n Corrupt when he says "Nokia's butchering of their smartphone brand"?
?
Not really sure what you are trying to say here. Nokia is indeed butchering it's brand at the moment and haven't had that brand changing phone to gather slice of the mind share like GS for 4 years. Just like i was ranting there.
Missing a phone from that gategory means much more than just lost profits to the whole lineup and brand.

Last edited by tissot; 2011-05-07 at 23:23.

nokia just needed to release a n8 with meego.

bang, huge sales =.=

Last edited by jo21; 2011-05-07 at 23:43.

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by jo21 View Post
nokia just needed to release a n8 with meego.

bang, huge sales =.=
They're already getting huge sales with the S3 N8 (and despite it's cripppled camera and memory capacity, the E7)

I wouldn't be too surprised if the Harmattan device (N950, N9 whatever you want to call it) will be more like the original pics released/leaked.

too little, too late. With the end of Symbian and the shelving of Meego, even as a developer platform, it won't see mainstream success and that's where Nokia need it.

I expect the slide to continue for Nokia and as the general consumer looks for more out of their phones, the likes of Samsung, riding the android wave, can focus on features, rather than UI.

It's interesting that many of the Hardware vendors are pulling back on the UI customisation, sticking to a more "vanilla" flavour of Android. Light skinning on top of the OS allows for less investment on their part as well as keeping up with consumer demands for frequent updates.
2011 has seen Samsung, Motorola and SE all cut back on their heavy UI customisation.

I've seriously considered the Galaxy S II as my next phone upgrade, despite having little love for android, having owned a Desire now for nearly 12 months.

the only thing holding me back is the lack of hardware kb and the alternative (Epic 4g) won't be available in Au by the looks of it.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post

I've seriously considered the Galaxy S II as my next phone upgrade, despite having little love for android, having owned a Desire now for nearly 12 months.

the only thing holding me back is the lack of hardware kb and the alternative (Epic 4g) won't be available in Au by the looks of it.
samsung s2 looks very promising except the fact it rruns shitty android I just hate java/dalvik crap. If samsung where smart theey released a similar handset with Meego for the linux geeks.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:

Tags
dead like poo, whats nokia?