Unlikely, but thought Id ask - does the N900 sync music over wifi? If not wouldnt this be a a useful feature in general - ie faster general syncing and a generally 'easier' experience. Im rather surprised this hasnt been implemented in media players/phones thus far.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Well, if there is an accessible network drive, there is no reason why a script can't be built to do this in half an hour...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to R-R For This Useful Post:
if its so easy Im really not sure why it isnt standard? It could easily be linked to Nokia Music player - surely it would be handy?

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I'm sure I saw that being done in one of the videos.... if I could just remember which one.

Last edited by RevdKathy; 2009-10-07 at 17:41.

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Madrid, Spain
Would it be possible to have like an FTP app for the N900 and turn it on, show the IP address and log on to it from your desktop? Or vice versa, and just have it sync your music folder? :s. It doesn't even have to be over wifi. Over 3G some of us get unlimited data

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Indiana
Originally Posted by chrisp7 View Post
Unlikely, but thought Id ask - does the N900 sync music over wifi? If not wouldnt this be a a useful feature in general - ie faster general syncing and a generally 'easier' experience. Im rather surprised this hasnt been implemented in media players/phones thus far.
My old Omnifi DMP1 did this (sync from wireless enabled Linux-embedded hard drive-based media component for the car to PC) and required the installation of the Simplecenter application (included with the DMP1) to perform the library catalog work and did sync using uPnP. That app was so dog slow, being Java-based. Some other manufacturers licensed the program to give this functionality to their devices, including a small handful of Nokia phones. The desktop app went open source but seems to have fallen by the wayside in the past couple of years. I haven't kept up with the open source community and usergroups of the Omnifi products but they still exist in some capacity on Yahoo.

I have an original licensed copy of Simplecenter on CD and at least one other open source version downloaded. The newer versions performed better but IIRC caused some failure to see the other Omnifi product, the DMS1 (a network digital audio player). The older and last official commercial version (for the Omnifi products at least) still sits on the support server here: http://www.omnifimedia.com/scripts/o...ted=1077817126 but you can find the 4.2 open source version floating around on various download sites. As for the original source code itself, I can't say where it may be.

Simplecenter was of course able to serve up music as well to compatible uPnP devices, and some devices could control the output to the PC, including the N95 as seen here: http://gauravrathod.wordpress.com/20...me-media-tool/

I wanted to be able to redirect the output not to the PC, but my Omnifi DMS1 and thus use my tablet as a remote control in this fashion. I think the DMS1's implementation of uPnP fell far short of perfect and was lacking some needed bits of code.I know the community hacked together their own firmware for the DMP1, so I'm sure someone there knows something about synchrozing over wifi.

A related thread appears to be in play regarding Maemo 5 and uPnP: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32229

Perhaps some of our questions/requests could be made known to zeenix: http://zee-nix.blogspot.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to daveb70 For This Useful Post:
I remember Simplecentre I used to use it with my N95 (well I installed it, it was buggy as hell, slow, was complicated so prob used it twice!) Did it actually sync the music or just allow it to act as a remote control/play music remotely? Are you suggesting you would use the upnp tech to sync the music? Seems like people would use this - would love a developer to make this

A program that would rsync whenever you joined your home wi-fi network (but with a configurable option for 3G) would be perfect!

The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Now the N900 is out, does anyone think this would be a decent idea for brainstorm, would you use it? Personally Id like my N900 to sync music/pictures whenever I get home over wifi, both for backup purposes and for convenience (ie not having to plug in my n900 via usb)

Originally Posted by chrisp7 View Post
Now the N900 is out, does anyone think this would be a decent idea for brainstorm, would you use it? Personally Id like my N900 to sync music/pictures whenever I get home over wifi, both for backup purposes and for convenience (ie not having to plug in my n900 via usb)
I would use it, could it sync to an itunes folder??