Notices

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton, UK
Having a weird one. After upgrade there seems to no longer be a land per turn limit in classic mode.

e.g.
Can play any number of lands from hand any turn (AI abuses this as well).

Tried find a config or setting somewhere that may have been set to allow this but couldn't.

Any thoughts, anyone else seeing the same?

LMK if I can provide any more info.

Last edited by mr id; 2011-04-16 at 10:47. Reason: Typo.

There is a bug in the upgrade script that prevented to update some resources, in particular the rules ones. That explains the "several lands per turn" problem. So, to work around it manually until I manage to fix it, you can use a terminal and do the following (be sure to have the FAT partition mounted):
Code:
cp /home/user/wagic/Res/rules/* /home/user/Mydocs/wagic/Res/rules/
There is another bug in the shop that prevent to use the touch interface, I'll fix both and push a new release in extras-dev.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Xawotihs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton, UK
Update resolved the issue as suggested. Many thanks.

i did a quick search and really didnt find anything.

but im having issues with wagic in the sense that all the images used for wagic got added to my picture viewer and just clutters it up really bad. anything i can do to resolve this?

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 131 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by jajangmien View Post
i did a quick search and really didnt find anything.

but im having issues with wagic in the sense that all the images used for wagic got added to my picture viewer and just clutters it up really bad. anything i can do to resolve this?
Yes, tell tracker to quit looking in the wagic dirs.

I believe there is a GUI config editor mentioned somewhere on the forums (I'll let you search for it).

-jkq
Agro ... : [***-------] Relic(s) : N900

cool thanks man appreciate it

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Germany
Hi all,

FIrst of all, I'd like to thank Xawotihs for this excellent port. It's great to have the whole MTG game in one's pocket! Also, thanks for listening to user's requests. That's very much appreciated.

I do have a couple of issues though, and would like to ask for some help here:

1. When I install the game, all the game files are stored in /home/user/wagic/Res/sets/, and not in /home/user/MyDocs/wagic/Res/sets, as reported earlier in this thread. Did any of you experience that? I am a newbie and it took me a while to figure that out. The game does create an empty folder /home/user/MyDocs/wagic/Res/, but there is nothing in there. When I tried to place the card pics there, it didn't have any effect. After some fiddling around for I while, I ended up with both folders (/home/user/wagic/Res/sets/ and /home/user/MyDocs/wagic/Res/sets) containing all the game data, including now the card pics. Certainly not the best way, but the game worked now, with all pics shown in the game. Can someone please explain to me, which of the two folders I should keep? Of course, /home/user/MyDocs/wagic/Res/sets would be preferable, so that I can easily manipulate the settings/pics/themes by just connecting the phone to my PC.

2. The second issue is about sound. I couldn't get sound to work, neither FXs nor the game music (the Windows version of Wagic works fine on my PC). Of course, I have set the sound options correctly. I have tried creating new player profiles and changing the settings there, but it just doesn't work. I tried deleting all options.txt files and restarting the game, as well ad complete deletion and re-installation. I have the suspicion that it has someting to do with the above problems of the Res folder ambiguity. But I really don't know.

3. Can someone please explain to me the logic behind the keybindings? For example the number codes (e.g. 16777217...). Is there a table to look such numbers up? Sorry, I am a total noob.

4. I have downloaded the PSP card pics, and they are sometimes a bit hard to read. Is there a real benefit in downloading and installing the 3.3GB set of HD card pics instead?

Last but not least, I really appreciate the community here. The N900 is IMHO the best smartphone to own at the moment, and I am enjoying mine more with every day. It's a shame that Nokia decided to drop this great OS. It has so much potential. But the world is unfortunately dirven by profit-greedy companies who don't even stop at collecting private user data in order to sell it for high profit to who-ever-pays-best. I feel sorry for all the poor owners of the awfully expensive smartphone with the fruit logo

I apologize for the long post and thank you in advance for any useful hints.

Cheers,
Spaceman

Originally Posted by Spaceman75 View Post
Hi all,
1. When I install the game, all the game files are stored in /home/user/wagic/Res/sets/, and not in /home/user/MyDocs/wagic/Res/sets, as reported earlier in this thread. Did any of you experience that? I am a newbie and it took me a while to figure that out. The game does create an empty folder /home/user/MyDocs/wagic/Res/, but there is nothing in there. When I tried to place the card pics there, it didn't have any effect. After some fiddling around for I while, I ended up with both folders (/home/user/wagic/Res/sets/ and /home/user/MyDocs/wagic/Res/sets) containing all the game data, including now the card pics. Certainly not the best way, but the game worked now, with all pics shown in the game. Can someone please explain to me, which of the two folders I should keep? Of course, /home/user/MyDocs/wagic/Res/sets would be preferable, so that I can easily manipulate the settings/pics/themes by just connecting the phone to my PC.
All the Wagic versions are based on a "resources" (Res) folder containing the bitmaps, sound, preferences, rules, extensions, decks, user preferences, mods... We want this folder to be totally user customizable that's why on Maemo, I decided to put it on the FAT partition so that it's directly visible on a PC when you plug your N900 on USB.
The main problem with this mechanism is that the complete installation failed if somebody wanted to install the game with the FAT partition mounted on a PC, the deployment of the RES folder failed, so the complete installation failed. Even if it worked, the game would crash if you even started it with the FAT partition mounted.
This problem was reported by some user first then by the "Extras-test" QA team when I tried to promote the game to "Extras". After a few discussion with them, it appears that a smarter way was to install was first elsewhere, I chosed "/home/user/wagic/Res" and then, using a launcher script, to "/home/user/MyDocs/wagic/Res". I also decided to perform a copy and not a move so that the game would still find some resources and not crash when the FAT partition is not mounted.

In conclusion, if you want to customize the resources, just do it in the FAT partition, it's done for that. If you want, you can erase "/home/user/wagic/Res", but be aware that the game would in this case crash if you start it with the FAT partition unmounted.

2. The second issue is about sound. I couldn't get sound to work, neither FXs nor the game music (the Windows version of Wagic works fine on my PC). Of course, I have set the sound options correctly. I have tried creating new player profiles and changing the settings there, but it just doesn't work. I tried deleting all options.txt files and restarting the game, as well ad complete deletion and re-installation. I have the suspicion that it has someting to do with the above problems of the Res folder ambiguity. But I really don't know.
I must say that I'm playing with the sound deactivated, and even my N900 is always with the sound deactivated ... I'll look at that, but it should work. The windows version of Wagic uses the fmod lib, the Maemo version uses Phonon directly. I may have done something wrong with the latest versions, I'll check that and come back to this thread.

3. Can someone please explain to me the logic behind the keybindings? For example the number codes (e.g. 16777217...). Is there a table to look such numbers up? Sorry, I am a total noob.
The number you see are the Qt internal symbols for keys. It's basically a bug as you should see the name of the key instead. I must say that the binding for Wagic are a real mess, that's one of the reason why I coded the touch interface =)
Anyway, the next version will probably be based on SDL instead of Qt, and I can try to fix this problem while I'm at it.

4. I have downloaded the PSP card pics, and they are sometimes a bit hard to read. Is there a real benefit in downloading and installing the 3.3GB set of HD card pics instead?
I never even tried... but it should in theory be much better. Be sure to run the latest Wagic version and not some old version as I remember fixing a bug where the texture would be sometimes degraded and thus becomes unreadable. Usually, it's perfectly readable with the PSP version.

Last but not least, I really appreciate the community here. The N900 is IMHO the best smartphone to own at the moment, and I am enjoying mine more with every day. It's a shame that Nokia decided to drop this great OS. It has so much potential. But the world is unfortunately dirven by profit-greedy companies who don't even stop at collecting private user data in order to sell it for high profit to who-ever-pays-best. I feel sorry for all the poor owners of the awfully expensive smartphone with the fruit logo
After playing and developing with some iOS and Android devices, I must say that the N900 community has the impressive advantage to have :
- one single source of information grouping everything you want to know
- be very dynamic and cooperative

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Germany
Thanks for the detailed answer, Xawotihs.

I understand now why there are two Res folders. This launcher script that you mentioned, do I need to execute it manually? Because now, even after several game starts (after a clean re-install), the /home/user/MyDocs/wagic/Res folder remains empty. And if I copy my card pics into it, they are not used (do not appear in game). I don't remember what I did previously, when I was "fiddling around", apparently I had activated that script of yours somehow, because I had both Res folders filled with data afterwards. But since I have deleted/uninstalled all Wagic data in order to get a clean re-install of the game, I have lost that state. What do I need to do to activate the script again?

By the way, I did the clean re-install because I was hoping to get the sound fixed. But it didn't help. Still no sound at all. I have played with sound on the PC, and I must say that the FXs&music add a bit of atmosphere for me. Although, probably I would also keep it on mute while playing in public. But thanks for checking!

Could you give an estimate on when the next version could be issued?

• the launcher is used automatically. It checks if you have enough space on the FAT partition and if your files are fresher on /home/user/wagic/Res than on /home/user/MyDocs/wagic/Res before starting the Res copy.
  • the launcher is /opt/wagic/launcher, it's a shell script you can look at it, run it, modify it, whatever you want.
  • the next version will be released when it's ready .

Tags
bada blows, bada rox, question