Notices

I wonder if we could make it a standalone app, no LXDE, just open office alone...

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by Bec View Post
I wonder if we could make it a standalone app, no LXDE, just open office alone...
You already can do that under easy debian; and it's somewhat quicker, too.
Try this way: open xterm, give the "debbie oowriter" command, enjoy
You can also have an icon for that (search for the 'openoffice spotted on n900' thread).

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Done this already

But I was thinking of having OO alone without the entire 2gb lxde... of course I have no idea what dependencies there are.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Looking backwards in these forums you'll find a headless openoffice version, cli-only, living out of the chroot. It was called something like "universal office viewer" or biggest or largest viewer... Wait a moment... here it is: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...noffice+viewer

It was 156 megs... you could start from that

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 47 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Two questions!

one:
is there somewhere info about applications that i can install from Synaptic and they work on my N900? I tryed installing Totem and it did not work.

Two:
Can i copy my easy-debian image file to my computer and copy it to my friends N900? And then my friend has to only install Easy-deb. from application manager? Hope you understand what i mean

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by kake View Post
Two questions!

one:
is there somewhere info about applications that i can install from Synaptic and they work on my N900? I tryed installing Totem and it did not work.

Two:
Can i copy my easy-debian image file to my computer and copy it to my friends N900? And then my friend has to only install Easy-deb. from application manager? Hope you understand what i mean
Good questions. To the first one, did you do an apt-get update before trying to install Totem? (By the way, there are still problems with getting sound off of Easy Debian apps.) After you do an apt-get update you can see all applications available using the dpkg -l command. That will give you a long list of available apps. If you are searching sor something in particular, say totem, do this:

dpkg -l |grep totem

That sends the resulting list to the grep command that filters out every line not containing the word totem.

As far as the second question, I am not sure. It may be that the Install Image command does something special in order to set it up.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

I haven't use apt-get update. Is it save to do? I remember reading that it could break or slow down OpenOffice.

I used Synaptic shortcut from maemo menu to install totem. The interface is almost like the one in my Ubuntu. So i wanted to give it a try. It downloaded and updated a punch of files, but failed to install totem.

in the end i deleted and re-installed Easy-debian, just in case. 'Cause there were some errors while i installed totem.

What does apt-get update actually do? I'm just learning to use linux, so i ask many silly questions.

thanks for the help.

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by kake View Post
I haven't use apt-get update. Is it save to do? I remember reading that it could break or slow down OpenOffice.

What does apt-get update actually do? I'm just learning to use linux, so i ask many silly questions.

thanks for the help.
"apt-get update" is completely safe to do. All it does is refresh the local list of available apps so that it reflects what is actually on the respositories. "apt-get upgrade" brings everything up to date.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
it works just excellent except that cpu mem aplet always shows that the cpu is running at full power even when I reboot the phone and everything is loaded properly the cpu still works. Htop shows thatther are two processes running and usually ther was just one.
The one which uses the cp most is: usr/lib/tracker/tracker-indexer
The second one is: usr/lib/traker/tracker-extract

thanks. I updated the app list. But maybe i'll wait some info before i start installing stuff.