Posts: 45 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Washington, DC
Hi all. Using estel's April 16 image from qole's site, stock firmware, installing on-device (no sd). Even using nice at 19 I get a reboot when I try to install R (r-base). Any advice? I was thinking of installing some of the dependencies one at a time so it's not working so hard so long. Otherwise no issues to report!

I had that issue before, my N900 kept rebooting everytime it was under "heavy" cpu load from the debian chroot, not sure how that issue even makes sense. It randomly stopped one day and never came back, so I haven't really tried to find a solution for it

Originally Posted by JadeH View Post
I had that issue before, my N900 kept rebooting everytime it was under "heavy" cpu load from the debian chroot, not sure how that issue even makes sense. It randomly stopped one day and never came back, so I haven't really tried to find a solution for it
echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio
echo 60 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio
echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs
echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_expire_centisecs
echo 2039 > /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes
echo 30 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
echo 100 > /proc/sys/vm/vfs_cache_pressure
echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/page-cluster
echo 128 > /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/nr_requests
echo 128 > /sys/block/mmcblk1/queue/nr_requests

should fix that - many including i had this issue before.

The Following User Says Thank You to impeham For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Ahmedabad,India
@ESTEL,@sulu....sorry, to ask it....but could i install and use latest version of adobe flash player in easy debian and if yes than which img is best useful for this need.....????I Need easy debian just for this reason no other need......Thanx in advance

Easy debian is much faster on seperate emmc partition.
I copied estel image to new created ext3 partition on emmc by dd.tool and changed chroot config to reading from mmcblk0p4
Libreoffice starting in 17-18seconds (cold start, swap restarted) and under 10seconds, when I run it before.

PS: Only cssu thumb, 500-900MHz clock and 1GB swap on microsd - no speedpatch, swappolube and other stuff like that
Next I converted it to ext4 partition and I noticed little performance boost - now libreoffice writter start in 16-17s after restarting swap (cold start) and 7-8s "hot" start

VIDEO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTiccuzlnxM

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to n900_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 236 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Ecuador
Originally Posted by n900_ View Post
Easy debian is much faster on seperate emmc partition.
I copied estel image to new created ext3 partition on emmc by dd.tool and changed chroot config to reading from mmcblk0p4
Libreoffice starting in 17-18seconds (cold start, swap restarted) and under 10seconds, when I run it before.

PS: Only cssu thumb, 500-900MHz clock and 1GB swap on microsd - no speedpatch, swappolube and other stuff like that
Next I converted it to ext4 partition and I noticed little performance boost - now libreoffice writter start in 16-17s after restarting swap (cold start) and 7-8s "hot" start

VIDEO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTiccuzlnxM

Is very awesome, Please Can indicate what steps can be followed for this, really is very fast, also the case with other programs such as Chromium?.

Regards

Other programs also starting faster.
But on the video I ran libreoffice before so n900 loaded it from ram - with reseted swap libreoffice starting in ~17seconds.

I will make video with other programs after reseted swap

Quick guide: (it's my way to do it, you can do it by several other ways)
1) Install bootmenu on n900 - now you can access all emmc 32GB flash (not only 27GB vfat partition)
2) Reboot n900 with open keyboard and choose usb connection
3) Resize 27GB fat partition and create new partition >3.2GB
4) Copy content of image to partition by dd tool (you can do it on n900 or PC)
by example:
dd if=/media/mmc1/debian-m5-estel.img.ext3 of=/dev/mmcblk0p4
5) Change chroot config by editing /home/user/.chroot - remove # from #IMGFILE=/dev/mmcblk0p4
6) It's working
7) You can convert ext3 partition to ext4 by terminal (in this case you must have power kernel, but I think everyone have it)
Type in xterminal on n900
modprobe ext4
tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index /dev/mmcblk0p4
e2fsck -pf /dev/mmcblk0p4

Last edited by n900_; 2012-08-07 at 18:18.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to n900_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 236 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Ecuador
Sorry, longer bother you, could please explain in more detail as it did to install debian on a new partition.
I try all afternoon and night, throwing dedian from the partition but could not, I obtain errors with choot, I used GParted to create the partition with ext3 and ext4 try, but without result.
You can please enlighten me, I'm doing wrong. I'm anxious to get your results.

Regards

Ok, but what's exactly your problem ? Any logs ? Size of new partition ?
I resized fat partition and created new by gparted on pc too.
Did you use dd tool ? (file system created by gparted doesn't matter, because dd change it to file system from image - it's ext3 if you use estel image)

New video (cold starting debian) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfiT...e_gdata_player

Last edited by n900_; 2012-08-08 at 12:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to n900_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Ahmedabad,India
Originally Posted by nisheet View Post
@ESTEL,@sulu....sorry, to ask it....but could i install and use latest version of adobe flash player in easy debian and if yes than which img is best useful for this need.....????I Need easy debian just for this reason no other need......Thanx in advance
any1 here to help????

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze