Poll: would you like to have BackTrack 5 on your n900?
Poll Options
would you like to have BackTrack 5 on your n900?

As i told, this was just a img to toy around for you guys.
Since you get problems, i can look and see if i find something.Dont expect to much, im not a unix pro. I will make a new img tongight to see if your errors will go away when mounting. Lokking for a keyboard fix.
What i found out :
When set vncserver -geometry 800x470 is fits the N900 screen. No scrolling anymore.
Originally Posted by michaelxy View Post
on my n900 is no vncpasswd
vncpasswd should be done inside the chrooted bt5

wow superdumb you went nuts on this! good work. ill probably give your image a try. still when i get home tonight ill post the steps on doing it to an ext2 formatted sd and chrooting (incase anyones interested) its nice for me to have my install on sd cause i also own an openpandora and i could just swap my sd right over to it and see if it will boot.

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Greece
There's similar work done with xperia here
I ve downloaded their img too, (about 200megs smaller, no idea why). Gave it a try, again with Superdump's walkthrough. Its working, kinda slower though. Keyboard thing still there. Maybe those with problem might want to take a shot at it.

Last edited by Gi0; 2011-05-15 at 14:25.

Hi superdumb I have just checked this thread and wanna ask... Since you just said you just reduced the image and nothing else does backtrack really work? or is it just a simple proof of concept to show that it is capable of running on n900 but without any driver support or useable for pentesting?

Originally Posted by Radicalz38 View Post
Hi superdumb I have just checked this thread and wanna ask... Since you just said you just reduced the image and nothing else does backtrack really work? or is it just a simple proof of concept to show that it is capable of running on n900 but without any driver support or useable for pentesting?
Havent tried injection yet but everything i ve tried since yesterday is working like its supposed to.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
Originally Posted by Gi0 View Post
There's similar work done with xperia here
I ve downloaded their img too, (about 200megs smaller, no idea why). Gave it a try, again with Superdump's walkthrough. Its working, kinda slower though. Keyboard thing still there. Maybe those with problem might want to take a shot at it.
Tried Xephyr instead of VNC?

well im a noob but i want to learn
so i follow this guide and everithing is fine

some remarks for noobs like me
1) u have to pre install rootfs easy-chroot and a vnc client ( i choose presence vnc ) and p7zip-full
2) the dowload and unzip take a long time cos I have only my dearer N900 to connect to internet and as computer
4) I follow all the steps from this guide and i have some errors that i have succesfully resolve by a little bit of googling around
5) I had also 1 error from the image : missing directory var/lib/pulse or whatever but i just mkdir this ( in chroot) and fixed
6) the step vncserver -geometry 800x470 : its better to edit the file /usr/bin/startvnc and change it there)

ok now i have that seems a ubuntu look alike ( thanks to the op and mr qole) with pentesting environment). I have to figure now how to play with all the stuff and how i can inject packets
thanks superdumb

The Following User Says Thank You to fabfour For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by azkay View Post
Tried Xephyr instead of VNC?
Νop,havent tried yet since vnc is working all right.
Think there ll be any advantages in that from the keyboard problem perspective?

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
Originally Posted by Gi0 View Post
Νop,havent tried yet since vnc is working all right.
Think there ll be any advantages in that from the keyboard problem perspective?
Using Xephyr on my laptop ive never had keyboard problems. I mean, its worth a try? Im copying the image over to my laptop to try shrink it because I dont have an sd card >4gb

The Following User Says Thank You to azkay For This Useful Post:
Will give it a shot then!Thank you
As far as the img size, no need to get a >4gb card, get the img file from SuperDump's link with the resized img or the one i posted from the xperia boards. That what i m using.