Ferenc Szekely of Maemo.org just sent out an email to the maemo-develpoers mailing list explaining why most of us experienced numerous problems downloading the OS2008 update, as well as the repository problems from our Internet Tablets:The infrastructure is built so that the content from repository.maemo.org is served thru a huge caching network. We were supposed to use the same network for the firmware downloads as well, but due to a misconfiguration and _my negligence_ all the requests ended up at our origin server (stage.maemo.org).Ferenc also thanks everyone who seeded the OS2008 updates via torrent. I would like to take this opportunity too to thank all the members who took time to help other members by hosting the updates, writing how-to's, and for tirelessly replying to other members to help with their Internet Tablet problems. That says a lot about our community! Read the full email.
Read the full article.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Good to know!

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
It would be nice to see a similar mea culpa or explanation of the "repostory" problem and why it lasted so long, assuming it's finally over.

Funny that he believes there was a "denial-of-service" attack. I suppose its possible, but more likely it was just the sudden surge of users trying to get at the new OS2008 and repositories. It was Nokia who denied us service...

Glad to hear the mea culpa, but in other organizations, such negligence would be cause for immediate removal. Don't think Mr. Jobs would tolerate such f*ups. Of course, in the US, we have FEMA, so we're familiar with this sort of thing. Doing a heck of a job, Brownie.

EDIT: Look, I don't want anyone to lose their job. It already seems like a tiny team anyway! Certainly glad the problem was figured out, fixed, and hopefully won't happen again. As others have mentioned, releasing new OS and then jetting off to holiday without making sure things were going smoothly wasn't a brilliant plan. Lessons learned...

Last edited by slip; 2008-01-17 at 01:00.

What I'd be more interested in knowing is why their server software for maemo.org always fails at serving up thumbnails. Its also slow processing https requests but plain failure with thumbnails gives a look of incompetence. Is this something limited to geographic regions that perhaps they just dont know about?

Example of what I see when i go to Maemo.org

I mention this now because they are saying their problems are over?

Last edited by pipeline; 2008-01-16 at 23:30.

Originally Posted by slip View Post
Glad to hear the mea culpa, but in other organizations, such negligence would be cause for immediate removal.
Yeah but he says it was holiday plus he said sorry! (and there was a DOS attack).

The Following User Says Thank You to iamthewalrus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Funny that he believes there was a "denial-of-service" attack. I suppose its possible, but more likely it was just the sudden surge of users trying to get at the new OS2008 and repositories. It was Nokia who denied us service...

Glad to hear the mea culpa, but in other organizations, such negligence would be cause for immediate removal. Don't think Mr. Jobs would tolerate such f*ups. Of course, in the US, we have FEMA, so we're familiar with this sort of thing. Doing a heck of a job, Brownie.
Read it again, slowly and carefully this time. Ferenc readily acknowledged both his own errors as well as alerting us to the DOS attacks-- of which he doesn't just "believe" but indicated he had proof (and put preventitive measures in place).

And before you gleefully deify Steve Jobs or any of his employees, do note that Mr. Jobs has plenty of failures on his record with Apple and yet is still there (twice as a matter of fact). Instead of leaping to hang Ferenc, do a little googling and you'll find plenty of examples... including the little Apple stock backdating fiasco. Yes, Virginia, even Apple folks mess up and get second chances. Funny, though, I can't recall ever seeing any mea culpas from Jobs over HIS major f*ups.

And to compare the minor debacle in question to FEMA's massive mistakes is the height--or rather depth--of disingenuity.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pipeline View Post
I mention this now because they are saying their problems are over?
That's too broad a supposition.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
And before you gleefully deify Steve Jobs or any of his employees, do note that Mr. Jobs has plenty of failures on his record with Apple and yet is still there (twice as a matter of fact).

And to compare the minor debacle in question to FEMA's massive mistakes is the height--or rather depth--of disingenuity.
Didn't intend to deify Jobs. Actually, I was referencing the rumors that he is a pretty nasty boss and hard to work for because he's so demanding. If I was an Apple fanboy, I wouldn't be here...I'd be out paying 20 bucks for software updates

As for the FEMA comparison...it was for humor's sake, mostly.
But, with respect to importance to this particular product line and its competitiveness/reputation in the market, I do think that this "minor debacle" has had some somewhat major consequences. Several of the bloggers who covered the tablet have essentially abandoned it--TabletGuru is perhaps the most explicit about his frustration regarding the server problems (http://www.tablet-guru.com/2007/12/nokia-talk-to-us/) , but others have also moved on to other products, particularly the Asus Eee. I suppose this is part of the natural technology evolution---but missteps by Nokia don't help.

Oh well, the good news is that the Nokia team is well-rested and back to work.

Last edited by slip; 2008-01-17 at 01:37.

I do agree that the server inadequacy issue, while minor in a sense, can have severe consequences. I just expect the maemo guys to rally and, in time, smooth over most of the ruffled feathers. This, too, shall pass.

Oh, and I can't see how bloggers move from the N810 to the Asus eee in anything other than immediate interest (the devices are that different). There won't have to be any debacle involving the eee and they'll move on anyway. Nature of the beast.

Last edited by Texrat; 2008-01-17 at 01:34.