Active Topics

Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
Well there's really not much to set up. Just make sure you enable upnp on the router, and on the ps3 make sure that media servers is enabled. Then when you turn it on you should see it within a couple of seconds.
Actually, enabling UPnP on your router enhances the chance that device discovery does not work since the router is "jamming" the network with its own discovery packets. And let's say the N9 is a bit challenged there.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by phako View Post
Actually, enabling UPnP on your router enhances the chance that device discovery does not work since the router is "jamming" the network with its own discovery packets. And let's say the N9 is a bit challenged there.
I can't wait to hear much more about your two tools phako!
They sound like they'll nicely augment existing functionality in PR1.2.
I hope over time it'll be easy enough to add more plugins to the back-end from upstream.
I know Nokia will no longer help to add this extra functionality.
But hopefully there's enough interested folk out there in the F/OSS community to do so.
Then we just need to tie them into the existing native UI &/or your apps.

that could probably just be an N9 specific problem. upnp is supposed to make it so that devices can configure itself easily with the router. other media servers use upnp just fine, and the N9 works perfectly fine on my large home network as a server with it on.

i guess you can try to give the n9 a static ip and do some port forwarding if upnp isn't an option or doesn't work for you.

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Hi guys, has anyone had any luck with streaming in Windows Vista? I can't see N9 in WMP and in Network folder I can see "Media on n9" but when I double click it, it only opens the properties window..

1. Youtube videos shared on the sites to be shown in stock browser & played using built-in Youtube player - Vote here
  2. Sliding to answer/reject calls while in locked state lags painfully - Vote here
  3. Availability & Transfers window always open from the bottom of the window despite whichever direction you put them away - Vote here
  4. System wide file manager support - Vote here

Join the Skype video support on N9 petition on twitter here.

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
I can get music and photos, but no videos folder shows.
Tested on Seagate FAT+ media player, and an android player.

Same on the Nokia N900 and N800 as client, but worse: they will play music, but the "Pictures" subfolders are all empty.

I have videos showing up in the video player on N9, so the tracker is finding them, and all DNLA types enabled. Any ideas?

Originally Posted by myk View Post
I have videos showing up in the video player on N9, so the tracker is finding them, and all DNLA types enabled. Any ideas?
What kind of videos?

Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
that could probably just be an N9 specific problem. upnp is supposed to make it so that devices can configure itself easily with the router. other media servers use upnp just fine, and the N9 works perfectly fine on my large home network as a server with it on.
Sorry, that's wrong. UPnP on the router is to allow any device that supports it to do basic queries about current outbound connectivity and port forwarding. That's covered by the UPnP Internet Gateway Device specification. This has absolutely _nothing_ to do with the UPnP AV specifications. You do not need a router's UPnP support to use UPnP enabled media devices in your network.

UPnP is a standardization group covering a vast amount of topics, not only media sharing.

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
What kind of videos?
Thats a personal question.
Oh - mp4/mkv whatever. The N9 is identifying them as videos. Even if the client does not have the codec, it should see them.

Originally Posted by myk View Post
Thats a personal question.
Oh - mp4/mkv whatever. The N9 is identifying them as videos. Even if the client does not have the codec, it should see them.
By default the only videos you can share via DLNA are videos taken on the device. That's a restriction indirectly imposed by DLNA as we had to chose for a set of profiles we support. If you want to change that, drop to the shell, edit /home/user/.config/rygel.conf and change strict-sharing to false.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to phako For This Useful Post:
Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
..Ok installed XBMC on Vista and think its now working.. well at least video is working haven't checked thoroughly..

1. Youtube videos shared on the sites to be shown in stock browser & played using built-in Youtube player - Vote here
  2. Sliding to answer/reject calls while in locked state lags painfully - Vote here
  3. Availability & Transfers window always open from the bottom of the window despite whichever direction you put them away - Vote here
  4. System wide file manager support - Vote here

Join the Skype video support on N9 petition on twitter here.