Active Topics

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Angers, France
There is a new fcam-drivers package, but when I do :
Code:
apt-get install fcam-drivers
I have error due to the fact that i have hostmode-gui 0.2.3 installed and that it has dependencies with kernel-hostmode
kernel-hostmode-modules kernel-hosmode-flasher

so I did :
Code:
for x in kernel-hostmode kernel-hostmode-flasher kernel-hostmode-modules
do echo -e "Package: $x
Pin: release a=unstable 
Pin-Priority: 1001\n" >> /etc/apt/preferences
done
But it does nothing !
does /etc/apt/preferences have changed on PR1.3
any help ?

BR

Nerfiaux

Originally Posted by nerfiaux View Post
There is a new fcam-drivers package, but when I do :
Code:
apt-get install fcam-drivers
I have error due to the fact that i have hostmode-gui 0.2.3 installed and that it has dependencies with kernel-hostmode
kernel-hostmode-modules kernel-hosmode-flasher

so I did :
Code:
for x in kernel-hostmode kernel-hostmode-flasher kernel-hostmode-modules
do echo -e "Package: $x
Pin: release a=unstable 
Pin-Priority: 1001\n" >> /etc/apt/preferences
done
But it does nothing !
does /etc/apt/preferences have changed on PR1.3
any help ?

BR

Nerfiaux
You can try to force-install it using dpkg.

wget http://repository.maemo.org/extras-t....7-1_armel.deb
from extras-testing or

wget http://repository.maemo.org/extras/p....6-1_armel.deb
from extras

dpkg -i <name.deb>

[Added]
But it probably are not gonna work with host-mode kernel.

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
hostmode is *safe* from a hw point of view. This includes applying 5V externally at any random point in time, as well as overloading or even shortcircuit of internal 5V supply aka vboost.
It's just the whole musb-core gets confused with vbus applied when it shouldn't, so we have some issues with switching speeds, entering/leaving hostmode, *not* entering peripheral mode, etc. Also, as we need to stop bme, there's not charging during hostmode for now. All this doesn't mean you could break anything - you CAN NOT, as long as you're not using overvoltaged external PSU or other obviously rogue evil crap

I said "enjoy hostmode" - I meant it like that :-) Don't worry!
/j
Oh I didn't really mean to sound worried. Worst come to worse I buy a new N900 (tired of the crack in my touch screen anyway :P). More so its a worrying affair when the phone simply shuts off and screen fades out.

<Just some suggestions for an FAQ type thing:>
Also, suppose I grab a powered USB host, the current GUI will NOT allow a USB mouse and a USB HDD at the same time.. yes? Due to having to choose a set speed? Will this be resolveable, your post says a 'might' in regards to speed detection, but will that mean multiple device support? also what is the probability of automatic detection? And as an end target, a simple auto-recognize like the N800 has (plug in charger -> charges, plug in usb stick -> mounts, plug in mouse -> sets up mouse) will ever be possible?

Hmm... I need to find a Y cable with mini + regular out to female regular. Then just need a 5v battery pack and anything would be possible with the one cable.

Code:
mini ----------------------
                          |--------- Female USB
5v battery pack -----------

Last edited by IzzehO; 2010-11-11 at 06:14.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
While MohammadAG perfects his hostmode gui, the command fdisk might be useful to see the available devices to mount (at present, only /dev/sda1 gets mounted by the gui). Since fdisk is not part of any maemo5 package, I copied the easy debian one from /sbin/fdisk of the debian partition to /sbin/fdisk of the maemo rootfs. It seems to work as expected:
Code:
BusyBox v1.10.2 (Debian 3:1.10.2.legal-1osso30+0m5) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

~ $ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/mmcblk1: 16.0 GB, 16039018496 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1949 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000b276e

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/mmcblk1p1               1        1950    15663072+   c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 32.0 GB, 32015122432 bytes
4 heads, 16 sectors/track, 977024 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 64 * 512 = 32768 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/mmcblk0p1               2      884865    28315648    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/mmcblk0p2          884866      950401     2097152   83  Linux
/dev/mmcblk0p3          950402      974977      786432   82  Linux swap / Solaris
Seems I were wrong?? Is fdisk already part of maemo?

Last edited by debernardis; 2010-11-11 at 08:18.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
How can i have host mode & nitdroid together ? PLZ help

The Following User Says Thank You to bzbnd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 552 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Not decided
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
While MohammadAG perfects his hostmode gui, the command fdisk might be useful to see the available devices to mount (at present, only /dev/sda1 gets mounted by the gui). Since fdisk is not part of any maemo5 package, I copied the easy debian one from /sbin/fdisk of the debian partition to /sbin/fdisk of the maemo rootfs. It seems to work as expected:
Code:
I tried the same command after I took root rights and I ve got the same output. I didn't copied something from easy debian or whatever like you. It seems that sfdisk is part of maemo.

The Following User Says Thank You to anapospastos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
wizard-mounter
Description: A simple gui for mounting remote shared partition
like samba and nfs, and have it browsable under
the standard file manager.

maybe worth a look at? If it can't do what hostmode needs out of the box, then for sure it should be easy to mod it.

@izzehO: A hub does auto-speed-convert. You can plug everything same time to a single hub in single HS - so multi-device support is already there. Plug'nPlay though is highly questionable, as we got no proper OTG hardware to autodetect plug in of micro-A, and there's no other way than that to detect plug in of a memstick or any peripheral on that behalf.

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2010-11-11 at 09:08.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 66 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ intheclouds
Hi again,
I was abble to reproduse the reboot/shutdown when I close h-e-n, BUT only when I'm overclocked above 600MHz ( Tried with different frequencies alway the result is the same - shutdown or reboot when I close h-e-n)
How to reprodusce the issue:
(Have installed klogd and sysklogd before - rebooted N900)

1.Installed kernel - 2.6.28.10.power44
2.Installed QCPUFreq v. 0.4.0, from settings enable overclocking - change frequency to more than 600MHz close.
3.Check with Conky actual max frequency
4.Start h-e-n (v. last one - mount/unmout implented) :
-close h-e-n - resul reboot
-pres High Speed hostmode, VBUS boost on Enumerate - successful enumeration, VBUS noost off, close h-e-n - result shutdown.
tried 5 time always have shutdown/reboot when OC, when I'm not over 600MHz no problem with shutdown/reboot after close h-e-n

this is only report (unconfirmed - if someone willing to try and report). I usually do not do overclock and is not issue for me.

attaching my logfile in case you want to have a look.

AI also have e question ( not retailed to the writings up) - When I connect USB flash drive sometimes it gets enumerated right away, but sometimes it took a while to enumerate? Is this known issue with the beta driver or something else? Does someone else experience the same 'x' wait time until Flash drive (or device connected) get enumerated? Am I alone?
Tried with different devices it is the same with stock and power kernel.
Attached Files
File Type: zip syslog.zip (153.7 KB, 87 views)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mveplus For This Useful Post:
wizard-mounter
Description: A simple gui for mounting remote shared partition
like samba and nfs, and have it browsable under
the standard file manager.

maybe worth a look at? If it can't do what hostmode needs out of the box, then for sure it should be easy to mod it.
I tried using it in the passed for some things and had absolutely no success with it, can't recall even what it was (probably mounting my samba server). I can't work out how this helps the hostmode project?

@izzehO: A hub does auto-speed-convert. You can plug everything same time to a single hub in single HS - so multi-device support is already there.
Ah ok. I'll probably pick up a powered hub next week some time (been meaning to get one for my desktop for ages).

Plug'nPlay though is highly questionable, as we got no proper OTG hardware to autodetect plug in of micro-A, and there's no other way than that to detect plug in of a memstick or any peripheral on that behalf.
So there wouldn't be a simply way of "Is peripheral supplying power? No -> try enumerate"?

On another note, upset that my Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 2.10 doesn't appear to work with this (or the HID scripts). It appears to recognize it fine, connect it fine and register it fine, but it doesn't do anything. F lock light is toggleable (however num lock and caps lock aren't: as they are system sided I assume). Relevant log (assuming this isn't just an issue with this particular desktop.. which wouldn't surprise me given its an MS one) is below:

Code:
[ 1255.652404] usbhid 1-1:1.1: usb_probe_interface - got id
[ 1255.652862] /home/builder3/maemo-fremantle-armel-extras-devel/work/kernel-power-2.6.28/drivers/usb/core/inode.c: creating file '004'
[ 1255.653198] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=045e, idProduct=009d
[ 1255.653228] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[ 1255.653259] usb 1-1: Product: Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop® 2.10
[ 1255.653259] usb 1-1: Manufacturer: Microsoft
[ 1255.653289] hub 1-0:1.0: state 7 ports 1 chg 0000 evt 0002
[ 1255.653320] hub 1-0:1.0: port 1 enable change, status 00000303

Last edited by IzzehO; 2010-11-11 at 10:04.

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
........ Plug'nPlay though is highly questionable, as we got no proper OTG hardware to autodetect plug in of micro-A, and there's no other way than that to detect plug in of a memstick or any peripheral on that behalf./j
joerg, remember the ID pin IS hardwired to twl4030 and it can be sensed. a piece of code ( hostmode daemon ) can be written to sense this id pin and switch automatically to host. even now n900 switch to a_idle when ID pin go ground so what must be put into the code ?
because some peripheral need external power it is possible to make a custom y cable like this

uB female ---o---------> uB male (with id grounded )
A female -----|

it is not standard compliant but who care
this cable can be used with or without external power provided from standard n900 charger
i will hardmod my n900 with uAB receptacle as soon i will get one for ( stylish ? ) CA-157.

( ot - please respond to my last PM it is @bme )

Last edited by blue_led; 2010-11-11 at 11:13.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blue_led For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, detection, h-e-n, hostmode, speed, usb host