Active Topics

Sorry not too sure which forum to post this in

But are Nokia going to add support to the OVI PC application for connected to the phone?

When you connect your USB cable to a PC the phone asks if you want to choose Mass Storage Mode or PC Suite Mode

But yet the OVI software states that the phone is not compatible

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Originally Posted by *Sonic* View Post

But are Nokia going to add support to the OVI PC application for connected to the phone?

When you connect your USB cable to a PC the phone asks if you want to choose Mass Storage Mode or PC Suite Mode

I love where the OVI store is going on Windows. I'm sure your problem will be solved in due time. I'm really disappointed though that there's no Linux version of the desktop software at all.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ireland
Its so good that there is VMware

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
About 3 months ago before the N900 came out, back when the prototypes were going around and guys were publishing their reviews and "first impressions" on the internet, one of the reviewers stated to paraphrase, "Ovi suite sucks because it's buggy, so I instead installed and used the more stable PC Suite application from Nokia and it worked fine with the N900."

Taking his advice I uninstalled Ovi suite and went and looked for PC suite and installed that instead.
It does give me a "your phone is not fully supported" message but everything else works including connecting to my phone so i can use the phones at&t connection to surf the internet.
You make sure your phone is connected to the internet (AT&T or Tmobile) you start up the PC Suite program on your computer and then you plug your N900 in to your computer with your usb cable and then you click on the Green icon in the upper right of pc suite that says connect to the internet. then this other window will pop up with icons on the bottom of it, one of them says connect when you put your cursor over it, click that one. It will say connecting and count down from ten and then it will say you are connected.

If you want to use bluetooth to connect to your computer later instead of using the USB cable download the DUN app from maemo org repo.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I have said something wrong.

Last edited by aironeous; 2010-01-15 at 20:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:
I don't want to create a new thread for a simple question.

Question

1) When I have my PC tethered to my N900 using it's AT&T internet connection what happens if someone tries to call me?

2) What happens if I am surfing the internet walking down the street on my phone and I am not tethered to anything with cables or bluetooth and someone tries to call me?

How does the N900 handle these two things I don't know cuz neither has happened to me yet?

Last edited by aironeous; 2010-01-15 at 21:30. Reason: spelling like usual

Originally Posted by *Sonic* View Post

Ovi suit does not work. But Nokia PC suit does support.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 207 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
I don't want to create a new thread for a simple question.

Question

1) When I have my PC tethered to my N900 using it's AT&T internet connection what happens if someone tries to call me?

2) What happens if I am surfing the internet walking down the street on my phone and I am not tethered to anything with cables or bluetooth and someone tries to call me?

How does the N900 handle these two things I don't know cuz netiher has happened to me yet?
with AT&T you have only 2G (2.5G) internet. You will receive call but during call you will not have internet.....

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kent, UK
Another issue I have discovered with Ovi Suite is that it does not let you set up specific synch profiles that allow you to specify certain folders.
I used to synch my N95 with Outlook, having created special directories within Outlook for 'phone contacts' and 'phone tasks'. Ovi Suite just synchs the lot... and I don't want 600+ contacts on my phone.
Until this is added - I am staying with PC Suite.

Yes I know I have only 2.5g
It's class 32 edge on Nokias end.
Did you just answer based on that (AT&T = 2.5g = slow) or do you actually know what you are talking about from experience?
I need a real world answer from someone who has AT&T that has received calls while tethered to a pc or just walking down the street surfing.

Thanks for the answers, ill get the PC Suite version and try that so I dont have to manually create all my contacts again