Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by jsuggs View Post
I'm a little confused though. The post was about FLAC support. How did we get onto ogg tag?
FLAC uses the Vorbis tagging system, the same as OGG files.

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
FLAC uses the Vorbis tagging system, the same as OGG files.
Considering the N900 does not even support FLAC until you install OGG Support, I thought it kinda obvious.

I guess jsuggs either does not have their device yet or have not installed OGG (FLAC) support yet.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Houston, TX
I installed OGG support and my N900 is playing my FLAC files (ripped and tagged in MediaMonkey). However, the N900 is only recognizing the filenames, not the tags, so I get no artist names or album titles. Has anyone else had this issue? I would appreciate any advice on how to fix it. Unfortunately, I know nothing about Linux, but I'm willing to do some research and learn if the fix isn't anything too advanced.

You can store IDV3V2 tags alongisde FLAC tags. If you have Power DB AMP you can amend the settings to use IDV3V2 . If you then clear the tags and re-write them (it may do this automatically if you re-encode the file,) you will have a FLAC file with IDV3V2 tags.

Then use a tool that will write the Vorbis/FLAC tags, such as Mp3tag. Mp3tag then refers to the tags as FLAC (IDV3V2), becuase the file contains BOTH sets of tags. FLAC is designed to hold IDV3V2 tags for backwards compatability; however, most FLACs you download or rip will only come with the standard tags, which many players cannot read.

If you do this the media player will be able to read your files.

Edit: Simply set the advanced settings to use IDV3V2 and set the encoder to do tags. Re-encode (doesn't take long loseless to lossless!) and the tags are done for you in IDV3V2 ready for Maemo.

Last edited by 406NotAcceptable; 2009-12-12 at 20:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to 406NotAcceptable For This Useful Post:
Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
FLAC tag support is now in extras-devel (tracker-extractor-flac 0.1-1)!

I have installed it, and it seems to work perfectly for the small ~200 track collection I have on my N900.

Anyone who wants it BADLY and will risk devel, note you currently may need to install it from the command line as its not been autheticated yet so doesn't show up in the app manager. You have to "apt-get install tracker-extractor-flac" and tell it you are fine with the package being unverified.
If you do not know how to do this then please do not attempt it, you could brick your device!

Obviously, not for the faint of heart but if you are using extra-devel you are obviously pretty brave anyway.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Houston, TX
Originally Posted by 406NotAcceptable View Post
You can store IDV3V2 tags alongisde FLAC tags. If you have Power DB AMP you can amend the settings to use IDV3V2 . If you then clear the tags and re-write them (it may do this automatically if you re-encode the file,) you will have a FLAC file with IDV3V2 tags.

Then use a tool that will write the Vorbis/FLAC tags, such as Mp3tag. Mp3tag then refers to the tags as FLAC (IDV3V2), becuase the file contains BOTH sets of tags. FLAC is designed to hold IDV3V2 tags for backwards compatability; however, most FLACs you download or rip will only come with the standard tags, which many players cannot read.

If you do this the media player will be able to read your files.

Edit: Simply set the advanced settings to use IDV3V2 and set the encoder to do tags. Re-encode (doesn't take long loseless to lossless!) and the tags are done for you in IDV3V2 ready for Maemo.
Finally got around to trying this and it works. I downloaded dBpoweramp and MP3tag. I changed the dBpoweramp advanced setting to encode FLAC files with ID3v2 tags (setting says "not recommended" but it works). Then I used batch convert to re-encode my FLAC files. Then I used MP3tag to also re-write the FLAC tags, so now my FLAC files contain both the ID3v2 and FLAC (vorbis) tags. I uploaded the files to my N900 and the media player now reads the artist, album and title info. I probably could have skipped the MP3tag step to re-write the vorbis tags. I'm not quite sure why you would need both. But I did it anyway. I just did a quick test of this with one album and everything worked great. Now I am re-encoding my entire music library. This may be stupid since my library includes about 7500 tracks, but I am stubborn and want my N900 to be able to read any of them whenever I should decide to upload them.

Originally Posted by aprimo View Post
Now I am re-encoding my entire music library. This may be stupid since my library includes about 7500 tracks, but I am stubborn and want my N900 to be able to read any of them whenever I should decide to upload them.
yes, considering that the person above you posted that the fix is already in development, reencoding your entire library and tagging all your flacs in a non-standard format does seem stupid