I have just read a post on one of other sites about Maemo from somebody that saw one of the first MeeGo devices codename :"Dali" and "Lankku"

What he wrote is that MeeGo home screen customization will be significantly limited to make it easier and simpler for general consumers to use.

The first big question is "is it true ???"
and if yes
- to what extend ?
- will there be an option to have a enhanced customization (to the level of Maemo) ?
- can this idea be re-considered ?

I would like to see you opinion about it

To me it would be the most stupid thing nokia could do as such personalizable homescreen was one of the key advantages of Maemo and N900
I just can not imagine not to be able to place shortcuts, widgets, contacts etc whenever I want in whatever configuration I want

If it will happen I believe MeeGo will loose a big advantage over other OSs (and lots of potential consumers)

Role of devices for "not that educated" users should be left for symbian.
Maemo was always a small PC - if it will not be the case with MeeGo - go to hell with another stupid smartphone - what would be the reason to choose MeeGo Vs other OSs (i.e. Android)

Wait for official information before RAGEEEEE

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following User Says Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!

If the promise of MeeGo holds true, it should be entirely possible to swap out the default home screen with a different one.

If it's more static than the Maemo homescreen, I'd love to see a charge to swap it out for something equivalent. But for now we just need to wait and see.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
I can't remember where I saw it (cnet article about intel maybe?) but Meego supposedly will have a "simple" mode that looks kind of like the iphone layout and a "panel" mode that is fully customizable.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by elleberth View Post
Maemo was always a small PC - if it will not be the case with MeeGo - go to hell with another stupid smartphone - what would be the reason to choose MeeGo Vs other OSs (i.e. Android)
This has got to be addressed. The singular view that the familiarity with a certain ui paradigm or implementation to be associated with 'intelligence' or 'superiority' in general, when the reality that I've seen has indicated the opposite may unfortunately be more likely.

You'd want true brainiacs and 'power' people out there to use and favor your platform. And trust me that most of them are not familiar with shell or maemo's interface (yet?) at this point.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
This has got to be addressed. The singular view that the familiarity with a certain ui paradigm or implementation to be associated with 'intelligence' or 'superiority' in general, when the reality that I've seen has indicated the opposite may unfortunately be more likely.

You'd want true brainiacs and 'power' people out there to use and favor your platform. And trust me that most of them are not familiar with shell or maemo's interface (yet?) at this point.
thanks for all the answers

perhaps I did not make myself clear, so will try to explain

when I wrote "not that educated" was not to be offensive - I ment people who do not know and/or do not need to customize the device

there are people who need a phone which will be easy to opearte and "cool" + will have couple of good features / apps - this their key purchasing driver and that is must and... enough for them
and I believe symbian would be perfect to play that role

and there are users who need a pocketable device to play a role of ultra mobile (meaning very small) laptop
they want productivity + (as allways) nice look
customizable desktop is one of key elements of productivity (i.e. I have my "work" screen, "entertainment" screen, "communication" screen, "emulation" screen which makes device easy to operate and very productive)
and I believe MeeGo shall be for such people

there is usually no succes in being "for everyone" which usually means for... no one
the reason is that there will always be a specialized product that will be better for particular group of people than the "for everyone" device so finally every group of consumers will choose their own product (focused on their needs) rather than "for everyone" device

ps I am not a programer, I know nothing about OSs, Linux, programing etc but I want FUNCTIONALTY and PRODUCTIIVITY of PC in my pocket - that is why I love my N900

pps but I guess previous posts are right - we need to wai tand see

I have just read 2 posts about MeeGo that made me worried (one of them was from (in) famous Eldar trying to convince that MeeGo is basicly nothing special)
- if you want to make yourself nervous you may have a look there:
http://forum2.mobile-review.com/show...69892&page=397
Post From Elday Mutzarin at 23.28

Last edited by elleberth; 2010-06-10 at 19:22.

Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
We still don't really know anything about MeeGo as it pertains to handsets. There is no reason to believe it will be any better than Maemo, but they're in serious trouble if it's not.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
I have just read a post on one of other sites about Maemo from somebody that saw one of the first MeeGo devices codename :"Dali" and "Lankku"

What he wrote is that MeeGo home screen customization will be significantly limited to make it easier and simpler for general consumers to use.

The first big question is "is it true ???"
and if yes
- to what extend ?
- will there be an option to have a enhanced customization (to the level of Maemo) ?
- can this idea be re-considered ?

I would like to see you opinion about it

To me it would be the most stupid thing nokia could do as such personalizable homescreen was one of the key advantages of Maemo and N900
I just can not imagine not to be able to place shortcuts, widgets, contacts etc whenever I want in whatever configuration I want

If it will happen I believe MeeGo will loose a big advantage over other OSs (and lots of potential consumers)

Then what?

Seriously.
The community was able to implement numerous improvements to Maemo because of its open nature.

MeeGo will be even more open, so surely some people could extend its desktop.

Honestly, I'm sure some crazy kids will port Hildon desktop to MeeGo, just for fun.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Ok, that's gotta be a tablet instead of a phone. Finnish for plank. Me thinks it's a big(ger) device.

Sorry for going off-topic.