Active Topics

Originally Posted by barzam View Post
Well, using Linux is always like this: stuff keeps improving (and thus breaking) and you keep fixing them. Personally I like this, and it was a major reason for me to get a Maemo phone instead of something else.
I completely agree and I also purchased the n900 for the same reason.

However Linux isn't the cause of any of the over loading on the device... Maemo's daemons are, they aggressively leech the n900 like a spyware infested Windows machine.

All they need is improved throttling or even better, scheduled indexing at idle usage or overnight while charging.

Anyway, lets make this thread useful...

To get the n900 running like it should you need to kill indexing with Tracker Cfg, disable your repositories so Apt doesn't activate once you get internet connectivity, over clock to 1Ghz and add the swapiness config changes.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jaimex2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Brasilia, Brazil
Mine won't OC to 1 ghz, 900 is how much it takes for the team =)

The other tips are great though, thanks!

Had no idea apt activated every time I have internet conectivity. Does disabling all repos fix this?

Also, how do I change the tracker config?

Originally Posted by dchky View Post
@ivnvir - you didn't buy an 'appliance' - you bought a computer that runs a Linux based operating system - with all the overhead that goes with it. Instead of whining because you can't find the silver spoon, learn how to use it, it's not hard - once you know your stuff, then you will earn the right to whine about real problems - hopefully more diplomatically.
Ok, I know very well how to handle it, if not, I would already thrown it from my window in the first days... I do have a lot of patience with it, but it could be the best phone/pocket pc ever, but there are such stupid things that happens that are unacceptable!
For example, why the hell they put 100 in swappiness? This is lame! Why the hell this stupid job don't do "his job" correctly? Obvious once I have thumbs done, and no modification in my files, I DON'T NEED IT TO RUN AGAIN! Or at least, put it with a low nice (or low priority)!
That's like childish from Nokia, really stupid!

N900 could be the best... but it is the best one day and the worst two days...

Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
You can always try renaming it:
Code:
sudo gainroot
cd /usr/libexec
mv hildon-thumbnailerd hildon-thumbnailerd-old
echo "#!/bin/ash
return 0" > hildon-thumbnailerd
Note: press the enter key after typing "ash", then type the next line.

This will replace that application with a script that does nothing.
That's kinda ugly, the process should work... completelly disabling it makes my thumbs never appear, wich is a bad thing, or it still build thumbs by another process?

Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
People would rather make excuses than face this. Much like the "I like my fat and heavy phone because it fits nicely in my hand" argument.
I bought a Maemo phone and not an Android phone, review your post man!

Originally Posted by jaimex2 View Post
at no point should user interaction come to a dead stop. Its the first thing you are taught at any programming institute.
Seems those institues are a waste of time then, since up to date I've never seen a system where this never happens.

Well, using Linux is always like this: stuff keeps improving (and thus breaking) and you keep fixing them. Personally I like this, and it was a major reason for me to get a Maemo phone instead of something else.

That is a spot-on assessment. Maemo certainly shares in the weaknesses and strengths of the desktop linux experience.
Being somewhat familiar with desktop pc versions, my n900 actually turned out better than expected.

Originally Posted by Bobbe View Post
Mine won't OC to 1 ghz, 900 is how much it takes for the team =)

The other tips are great though, thanks!

Had no idea apt activated every time I have internet conectivity. Does disabling all repos fix this?

Also, how do I change the tracker config?
Tracker cfg is in the Extras dev repository last I checked. I killed almost everything in there.

For the other configs I have a script I run manually in xTerminal after a restart. It over clocks to 950 Mhz and does the swappiness changes, I might make it a permanent change after a few more weeks, I havn't had any problems with it so far and things run tip top.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

echo 950000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
echo 500000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
echo 900000 805000 750000 600000 500000 125000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/avoid_frequencies

echo 30 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/page-cluster
echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode
echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/oom_kill_allocating_task
echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_expire_centisecs
echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs
echo 60 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio
echo 95 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_timestamps
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_no_metrics_save

echo Done

What does all these do? Could you explain your script a bit more? I'm on a quest to get the maximum battery out of the phone..

The Following User Says Thank You to barzam For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Central Ohio
What does all these do? Could you explain your script a bit more? I'm on a quest to get the maximum battery out of the phone..

http://www.linuxinsight.com/proc_sys_vm_hierarchy.html has some documentation on all the various bits in there, although I can't vouch for its readability for nongeeks. There's probably other important /proc docs there too, but I didn't look too far. I was just curious as to what "laptop mode" was, personally.

In the process, I did discover that "laptop_mode" is almost certainly useless. Roughly speaking, it cleans out old parts of the swap opportunistically any time any other I/O occurs - this saves power on a laptop because that way you avoid spinning up the hard drive *just* to handle swap cleanup. Last I checked, though, the n900 does not have a mechanical hard drive - unless someone's come up with a new mod I haven't heard about - and so this is unlikely to be helpful. (It's probably equally unlikely to be harmful, though, so, meh. )

I therefore suspect some of the other tweaks listed may arise from a similar "shotgun approach" to tweak application, but I haven't looked all that closely.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Viqsi For This Useful Post: