Active Topics

Hi,

while I really think that the moderation here in the forum is actually very good I just stumbled across an example of imho causeless attack and absolutely bad moderation. I just take that as motivation to ask about the general policy that's in place nowadays and whether this was just an accident.

Background: I was looking for an answer to the "wazapp, failed, too many" issue.

So, I found the following thread, which very precisely describes this issue: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85969

The first answer in this thread is just a blunt, offensive answer directed at the thread opener that claims this thread should be closed and refers to the "main thread", that happens to be the announcement thread.

Even ignoring that this answer is against all netiquette there is a much more general problem here:
imho it is good practice to keep threads on a single, precisely cut topic. While the announce thread may be good for general discussion and chit chat, a 229 page thread is _not_ (again imho) a good resource to quickly and precisely find very special information.
So, what the opener of the aforementioned thread did was just that: he opened a thread on the dedicated topic of solving the above mentioned issue. Imho this corresponds to the very common sense of having a dedicated thread per topic and does not violate any rules nor qualifies as duplicate thread.

What bugs me most is that this really unpolite and unhelpful behavior as can be seen in the first answer (even the link given there to the main thread doesn't point to a particular post for solving that issue nor does it help otherwise) is backed and supported by a moderator closing that thread.

So please, am I too picky about this? Or was this just an accident? Is it sufficient for closing a thread that just some guy steps up, writes a rude post and suddenly the thread gets locked?

Thanks and best regards,

wonko

Edit: Is it possible that the thread linked above gets re-opened for discussing that very issue?

Last edited by Wonko; 2012-08-11 at 20:00. Reason: Fix typos.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
It is sufficient for a thread to be closed if someone who has power dislikes it. There is nothing democratic or fair about the process.Fortunately, misuses of this power are comparatively rare.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Wonko in my opinion when I saw the new thread I felt the user should be posting in the original thread...

Anyway when I went to the main thread I saw he had posted there too...In the main thread the last 5-10 pages are all about solving this issue...One user has even offered to get an activation code for people who PM him their mobile numbers...

After all the help and instructions on that thread, to start a new thread is pushing it a bit too much isn't it? Nobody is saying read throught the whole thread but i think the last few pages is being reasonable but there has been an influx of users due to Wazzap many of whom are lazy to search for any solution instead preferring to just post their issue that has been solved and reported many times previously or creating new threads...

In other words these "new Wazzap-only" users are those who feel its their right to have this app on their phone and everyone here who is providing help is doing their job instead of volunteering their free time...

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-08-11 at 20:21.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
Not just that thread closed also a reply was removed too, it is not very bad that a newbie post a thread from the first post, maybe he never joined a forum before so he dont know about that.

TMO is the first forum i joined and i had a very bad start with it and im happy

./sifo
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Give someone power (any kind of power) and he'll show you his real face.

Well, I agree that there was much noise, especially around the whatsapp discussion.

However, keeping the discussion in a single confusing and unclear thread does imho not help in reducing that noise.
Instead, having dedicated threads per topic would make it easier for users to find information and answers about specific questions and keep the discussions on-topic.

In the actual case, I really think that the user followed best forum practices. While I can understand that, at that time, the mood was heated-up here, seeing this in retrospect, it should have answered and handled differently.

Personally, I think that closing a thread should be the last resort ("ultima ratio" in Latin). I also very much favor polite answers instead of blunt and rude attacks.

I also do not think that there are bad things done purposely. I just think that this is an example of how a legit and absolutely valid request got handled very badly.
I also don't want to blame anyone. I just put it up here for two reasons: firstly, I'd like to have that thread re-opened to have a central place to discuss this issue.
And, secondly, have the discussion we are having right now in order to sensibilize with respect to the general issue of closing threads or handling potential duplicates.
After all, we are a big community and things that bug some member get discussed and sorted out by communicating with each other.

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
I was given an infraction for the post I made in that thread and it was clear I was joking... Some people need to seriously get thicker skin...

At TMO we are very friendly and accepting, but there is a fine line between friendly and feeling that you have more right than other users... this behavior bothers me...

There are certain members, that make posts that I don't agree with....

I support someone posting in an already open thread asking for help, making your own thread like you are more deserving of the help than others, is just plain wrong to me...

also the pm I received for reference and lolz....

Dear Arie,

You have received an infraction at maemo.org - Talk.

Reason: Personal Attack
-------

Next time you leave the main thread we will fly to the UAE and break your legs... you've been warned....

-------

This infraction is worth 20 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

All the best,
maemo.org - Talk

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 32 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ London
it's good to search and read at least the last 10 to 20 post in related thread before posting a question or starting a new thread, whenever i recommend TMO to anyone i tell them to search first and if they can not find an answer to what they are look for, then post a question or start a new thread

The Following User Says Thank You to jpetrise For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Arie View Post
I was given an infraction for the post I made in that thread and it was clear I was joking...
If a number of people thought you were not joking, the statement that "it was clear that I was joking" is by definition not true.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
If a number of people thought you were not joking, the statement that "it was clear that I was joking" is by definition not true.
Seriously, who would fly to the UAE to break someone's legs over a post and then put a smiley at the end?

Be logical here... I live in the US just like you, not worth the time or the effort.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4