Active Topics

Hi all,
Recently I purchased a "new" n900 (turned out it wasn't quite new), I reflashed it to PR1.3 then did all the SSU updates.

After that I enabled stable CSSU (I also installed a lot of software, some from ovi store and some not).

Yesterday I added Kernel Power to this collection since I wanted to use some of the goodies mentioned (ext4, alternate wifi etc.).

Ever since I installed kernel-power I have had several weird problems:
1. My home WiFi network is not seen by the phone, and not even by wifieye, other WiFi networks are still working fine.
2. The camera has stopped working, before installing the kernel I checked that I had fcam-drivers installed since it warns about that and it was the newest version (1.0.6), now when I open the stock camera app or blessn900 it just closes almost instantly without any form of error message.

I did not enable any testing/devel repos.

Installed versions:
kernel-power-settings 0.11
kernel-power 2.6.28-maemo42
fcam-drivers 1.0.6-1

Any pointers on how to fix these issues are very welcome.

//How come the 'stable' and 'testing' kernel power are so far behind the 'devel' version?

The Following User Says Thank You to Keeper of the Keys For This Useful Post:
//very sheepishly

So it seems these fcam drivers and that kernel power don't like each other... after I uninstalled fcam and related I had a working camera.

I guess I really misread that.

That still leaves the mysterious disappearance of my WiFi which really baffles me.

At first I suspected the fact that as SSID I chose a domainname I own but even after changing the SSID the network is still completely 'invisible' to the n900.

I'm broadcasting the SSID, it's an 802.11n capable TP-Link router (WR841NDv7 iirc) running DD-WRT.

You should avoid using outdated kp42, and install kp49 from extras-devel instead.

I know, that kp42 sits in extras (stable) and usual -devel warnings apply, but kp is in quite specific situation - due to some unknown bug with package repository management system, new versions are un-promoteable into extras-testing, and extras. So, when it goes to kernel-power, alpha-versions are build manually from code, testing ones are distributed as precompiled .deb in KP thread (and being tested by power users), and stable version land in extras-devel. and, it's not going to change, until this BUG get resolved, or Pali decide to "fork" his own package, and upload it into repos under slightly altered name.

So, usual way of installing KP for someone, who - like You - don't want to use extras-testing and extras-devel, would be to enable extras-devel just for this single installation (remember to update package cache after doing so), install it, and disable extras-devel again (also, update cache, tog et rid of -devel packages in list).

Also, cause I'm probably not quite entitled, I apologize You for situation, where sane user (that keeps away from -devel, if she/he don't feel comfortable with bleeding-edge packages) gets "punished" with non-working version installed. AFAIK, kernel-power is one and only such "weirdness" in Maemo repos.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
tl;dr: enable extras-devel, install kernel power 49, pin apt as described here. this will prevent installation of programs from extras-devel repo.

do note that most of the newer versions of programs in extras-devel have loads of new features, and when a bug comes up, it's usually fixed within 2 days. I personally activate extras-devel all the time.

Hurrian, I generally agree, but remember that you can still (although, very rarely) come across some long-forgotten packages in -devel, that are not even optified. Or, some new versions of certain critical things, may - potentially, in future - break something to the point of "heavy terminal usage" to fix it, or even recover backupmenu backup.

Personally, I would strongly recommend any user to install backupmenu and test whatever she/he feel fancy, but if user doesn't feel comfortable witch things like backupmenu, or just plain doesn't like doing such things (or doesn't care and just want rock stable device) it's better to stay away from -devel.

After all, extras, extras-testing and extras-devel exist on purpose. Even considering fact, that whole Maemo community is quite tech advanced, curious, and terminal-friendly. Which doesn't mean, that basic users (if they read wiki, descriptions, manuals etc, as Keeper apparently did) can't feel comfortable here.

I still stand at position, that KP-promotion mess should be fixed ASAP, no matter if forking is good aesthetic-wise, or not. Kernel-power is one of the few "base", crucial, and must-have things (IMO).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the explanation regarding kp49, I guess I will be doing that.

On my computers I generally don't shy away from the bleeding edge (running Sid/ubuntu alphas etc.), but those are computers that if they break it no big deal to fix fast, for now this is my only phone so I tend to be a bit more conservative, I guess once I get more confident and am 100% sure that I am backing up stuff properly I may start "living on the edge".

The Following User Says Thank You to Keeper of the Keys For This Useful Post:
Alas! Even with kpv49 my local wifi is still invisible to my phone.

Originally Posted by Keeper of the Keys View Post
Alas! Even with kpv49 my local wifi is still invisible to my phone.
What country are you in and what channel is your wifi on?

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 16 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sofia, Bulgaria
Maybe your wi-fi router is broadcasting at higher channels (12, 13) and some countries regulations limit the channels to 1-11 only. You can do one of those:
- Change the channel on your wi-fi router (to lower).
- Install this: http://maemo.org/packages/view/iw-reg-set-jp/
and keep your country settings.
- Change your N900 country settings as you live in different country (for example Europe,Japan) so channels 12,13 will be enabled

I recommend the second choice. This way you can see all the routers no matter which country you are.

The Following User Says Thank You to MiCRoPhoBIC For This Useful Post:
My country allows pretty much all channels except 14, I set the router from auto to being on channel 6 (since that was also the quietest channel as far as WiFiEye was showing).

I did not verify from my laptop that the router indeed obeyed my command (to switch to ch. 6 from 'auto'), I guess I'll do that next time I'm home....

[edit]
My courty on my phone is already set to a European country, though not the country I reside in since that country is not available for reasons I don't understand.
[/edit]

Last edited by Keeper of the Keys; 2011-12-20 at 22:34. Reason: add note