Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
What if each app had an instantaneous way to rate it as well (linked to the m.o apps page). This would also allow users to organize their apps by highest rating (personal use).

Tim
We're even now: I recommended that a long time ago.

iTunes and Microsoft media player allow song purchasers to rate the songs and provide that up/out for just such metrics. The same could easily work for Maemo apps... if you like it, vote on it on your device... and if you allow the metrics to be shared, then the data is used at the distribution site as *one* organizing/advertising priority factor. Of course there should be multiple additional factors (name, date, size, genre, views, downloads, etc).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
What if each app had an instantaneous way to rate it as well (linked to the m.o apps page). This would also allow users to organize their apps by highest rating (personal use).

Tim
Yeah, exactly. I thought it can serve as the 'incentive hotline' for the developer of some sort
And with this data, it could serve so many other functions too..

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
You can't put a paypal link at the bottom of the page of each app in the download section of this website? "If you would like to make a donation to the creators of this app click here."

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
You can't put a paypal link at the bottom of the page of each app in the download section of this website? "If you would like to make a donation to the creators of this app click here."
I like the service idea because the payment could be seamless and ubiquitous. Paypal provides just such a thing, as do major credit card vendors-- it's just a matter of broadening the scope. So, sure, links on web pages but also on devices in any other appropriate context.

First, I'm happy that other people like the idea too :-)

I've thought more about it, it gets complicated when there's more than one contributor, who gets the money? would it be shared? how?

What if noone request the money? maybe it could go to the FSF? or to maemo.org?

The option should probably be included first in the maemo.org site, and then could make its way to the toolkit.
I'm not fond of Paypal, but I have to admit that for such a service, it's practical. Maybe Nokia has a better way...

I also like the "Rate the app" idea!

Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
Good idea, but you were not fast enough :
http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...gh_emphasized/

Too bad that idea never left the Sandbox.

Personally I think the Application Manager should become App Store-like, and then adding in a donate button should be an option.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
libdonation with pre-made dialogs/interfacing with payment etc maybe?
agreed.

What I think would be nicer would be to include some talk of donation and open source in whatever "getting started" information is supplied with a device.

informing people from day one that this platform is based around open source and the hard work put in by each and every one of us would be beneficial to us all.

yerga, I really like the style of your dialog and if it oculd be implemented inside a library as stskeeps says, it will allow for others to follow that attractive style.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by korbé View Post
Good idea, but you were not fast enough :
http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...gh_emphasized/

Too bad that idea never left the Sandbox.
Yes! very interesting ideas in the proposed solution!

You're right, too bad it's not been adopted...

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Slightly related, though not for applications in general but for specific bug reports or enhancement requests: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=124096 is about providing a "Donate"/Bounty option in Bugzilla. Unfortunately noone is working on it. :-/