Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I've only owned one nokia device, the N810, and I've been put off of Nokia's lack of vision and lack of support. It feels as though I've been making compromises at every turn just to use this device, and it's painful to know that it's never going to be officially supported.

Don't get me wrong, it has been a tremendously useful device that I use daily, but I have limited time/desire to muck around in an OS these days just to get it to work properly, and need something that I can pick up and use.

Once is mistake enough for me. I started doing research before jumping into purchases, and thankfully there are wondeful devices out there that are collectively praised.

I am very weary and cautious about MeeGo and a MeeGo device. I would consider it if and only if it a) very highly praised, b) did things that no other device did, and c) I was convinced that it would be supported into the future. These points requires at least two-years of observation, so the first round of MeeGo tablets are out for me.

That, and I have serious doubts that an OS built around QT is the future (it seems like a lot of work to accomplish status quo, but that is an assessment based on ignorance). As of now, I'd sooner use a functional Ubuntu tablet (I would actually be interested in this).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
That, and I have serious doubts that an OS built around QT is the future (it seems like a lot of work to accomplish status quo, but that is an assessment based on ignorance). As of now, I'd sooner use a functional Ubuntu tablet (I would actually be interested in this).
Certainly isn't any more risky than Android, which is entirely based around a platform wholly controlled by Google. At the very least with Qt, you've got a huge software base that already exists across multiple platforms (including the entirety of KDE and its associated software projects.)

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Malta
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
why would you buy an Android phone this close to the MeeGo release?
Let's just say that I don't want to see Nokia abandon a new device again. Probably won't happen but I'd rather not place my money (and faith) in them.
Besides, I used my n900 enough and I wanted a change and I like android. The only thing that bugs me is the multitasking 'cause I really MISS the tabs view in maemo.
Maybe in a year or two I'll try meego or maybe not if android keeps improving.

The Following User Says Thank You to fieryriver For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by scooterx517 View Post
Its a better phone
Yay. So was my old flip phone.

Heck, I think the Motorola Star-Tac was a heck of a good phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to schettj For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
So who cares?

Yeah, me too!
What? You're stupid too

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I would buy an Android one because I am determined not to buy a Nokia device. I have already bought five devices from Nokia and I think that's enough. I don't trust Nokia. As has been pointed out, Nokia seems to be abandoning its devices faster and faster. I'm not interested in being part of that. If I'm going to be betrayed, let it be by another company for a change.
Out of topic.......but i think im on the same path as you are, I just got a non-Nokia deivce as a replacement for my Nokia device.

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

The Following User Says Thank You to gabby131 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Victoria BC Canada
How is the WiFi connectivity and reliability?

I have terrible issues on the girlfriends HTC Hero and the provider is replacing it with a Desire in the quest for a cure.

My research points towards some android OS issues, HTC claims it is only an issue with older android devices, that's why I'm interested in your assessment.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by gabby131 View Post
Out of topic.......but i think im on the same path as you are, I just got a non-Nokia deivce as a replacement for my Nokia device.
Off Topic, Same.
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

The Following User Says Thank You to eitama For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
The beauty of Qt is that it address a serious shortcoming in Apple iOS libraries: automated resizing.

Rather than double the size of a pixel to make an iPhone app fit on an iPad screen, a Qt based app would have just seemlessly resized itself.

Ditto for putting iOS on a nano sized device.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by mmurfin87 View Post
The beauty of Qt is that it address a serious shortcoming in Apple iOS libraries: automated resizing.

Rather than double the size of a pixel to make an iPhone app fit on an iPad screen, a Qt based app would have just seemlessly resized itself.

Ditto for putting iOS on a nano sized device.
Are you talking about layouts?
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |