Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
I tought they were running linux already; and on top of that with one user only (root)?
The switch runs a modified BSD operating system similar to the Playstations.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 843 times | Joined on Jul 2015 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
The switch runs a modified BSD operating system similar to the Playstations.
No it doesn't. The switch runs its own operating system which is (partly) based on the 3ds-os. (the wiki was made by one of the teams which found the boot-loader-vulnerability so it's pretty reliable)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jakibaki For This Useful Post:
So the next step will be to see how long it takes until someone can get switch games to run under linux, right?

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 843 times | Joined on Jul 2015 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
So the next step will be to see how long it takes until someone can get switch games to run under linux, right?
You're in luck, yuzu works on linux and already has a few games running.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakibaki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jakibaki View Post
You're in luck, yuzu works on linux and already has a few games running.
Yes I knew about this , thanks!

I didnt realize they were that advanced.

Its amazing, now the switch will truly start to shine!

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I can celebrate the effort and ability; I enjoy my Nintendo Switch to play the games that work well on it.
Same here. If I’d want a working Linux device I’d rather get sth Else than a switch.

2x N900 - both for sale, 1x in mint condition with a qwerty keyboard (with box and all accessories) and 1x in used condition with qwertz keyboard. PM me[/B]

1x N9 16GB cyan, made in Finland - for sale PM me

1x Jolla - for sale PM me

iPhone SE - lost

iPhone 7 - 128GB
Surface Pro 4 M3 - Win10 is buggy...
Lenovo Thinkpad W520 - Xubuntu
Lenovo Thinkpad X200 - Libreboot and Trisquel

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NX500 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by NX500 View Post
Same here. If I’d want a working Linux device I’d rather get sth Else than a switch.
I think you are missing the point here. Nobody is saying to go out and buy a games console for the sole purpose of running Linux. Of course there are plenty of other devices better suited to that.

The Switch is a portable console. Why should I carry an additional Linux device around with me if the Switch is perfectly capable of running Linux?

Personally I'm sick and tired of modern console gaming. I'm fed up with console manufacturers telling us what we can and can't do with the devices we've purchased. Since consoles have gone online, things have turned to shˇt. Now you have to agree to an EULA to use the console you've already purchased and if you don't agree to it, you get a crippled experience. Every few weeks you are forced to download and install a multi gigabyte patch before you can resume playing the game you already purchased and started playing through. It's bullshˇt.

So if I decide to buy a Switch, it will be for games, but you can be damn well sure I'm going to install Linux on it and hack away till my heart's content. I will be the owner of what I purchase, not Nintendo.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2018-04-29 at 00:06.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Wicket's right.
and if you think clicking on a EULA ain't so bad...
or someone else owning what you bought..
and deciding what you shall have and what you can or cannot do with your purchase...

Just wait ...
give it just that kind of apathy...
and in no time at all...
In your post will be an envelope with your name on it...
and inside ...
a request to sign and return the EULA form for your life.
I am sure that eventually there will simply be a tiny little "check box" on the right buttock cheek of every newborn...just to simplify things...

EULA's ...
I am quite sick of them...
You'd think in fact ...
that after the latest scandal involving Facebook and Analytica ...
that more companies would take heed.
Oh no...
Yahoo / AOL just sent everyone who has an email address with yahoo...
a nice shiny new "Terms of Service and Privacy Policy" update....
I got 2...1 for each of my yahoo accounts..
I was happy with the service ..the last couple of years..
...until this Sh1tstorm disrupted my week.
reading my emails and then targeting ads at me?
REALLY???

here is just one layman's article on yahoo's new subtle push tactic...
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/04/...email-privacy/
Now I have been informing everyone I send and receive mail to ..thru my yahoo accounts ...that I am moving my service ...
I have a lovely letter prepared for yahoo...

Thankfully I have multiple email accounts set up and in use via a variety of much better alternatives.

I am so fed up with the corp. sneaky b@stards preying on the somnambulism of the population...
Expecting that no one ..or at best...a very few "radicals" will even care about their freedoms they are "clicking" away...

The string of profanity I have been uttering this whole writ would burn the ears off a troll.
:C

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2018-04-29 at 03:47.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
Personally I'm sick and tired of modern console gaming. I'm fed up with console manufacturers telling us what we can and can't do with the devices we've purchased.
Not that I disagree with that sentiment, in fact just the opposite. But there is one fault with t: it is all about me, me, me. "I" am sick and tired, device "I" have purchased, etc, etc.

Now try to see it from the manufacturer's perspective. They did not spend thousands of man-hours (sorry, "person"-hours, to satisfy any social warriors here) to give you "a general purpose machine to run anything you damn please on". They spend them to give you a games console. From their point of view, if you want a portable Linux machine, then go and buy one. What are you saying? There isn't one? Not my problem! Bakers sell bread, butches sell meat. It is not the baker's job to satisfy your craving for an elephant steak, nor Nintendo's to satisfy your craving for a pocket Linux computer. Of course manufacturers will do anything in their arsenal to make sure you use their products in the way they intended. It is not some kind of conspiracy against you, it is simply them protecting their interests.

I am not saying that it is right or how it should be. If things were as they should be then I could fly and teleport. I am only saying that it is how it is.

In light of that, I see running Linux on a games console as a nice bonus, but not as my Holy Right™.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Not that I disagree with that sentiment, in fact just the opposite. But there is one fault with t: it is all about me, me, me. "I" am sick and tired, device "I" have purchased, etc, etc.

Now try to see it from the manufacturer's perspective. They did not spend thousands of man-hours (sorry, "person"-hours, to satisfy any social warriors here) to give you "a general purpose machine to run anything you damn please on". They spend them to give you a games console. From their point of view, if you want a portable Linux machine, then go and buy one. What are you saying? There isn't one? Not my problem! Bakers sell bread, butches sell meat. It is not the baker's job to satisfy your craving for an elephant steak, nor Nintendo's to satisfy your craving for a pocket Linux computer. Of course manufacturers will do anything in their arsenal to make sure you use their products in the way they intended. It is not some kind of conspiracy against you, it is simply them protecting their interests.

I am not saying that it is right or how it should be. If things were as they should be then I could fly and teleport. I am only saying that it is how it is.

In light of that, I see running Linux on a games console as a nice bonus, but not as my Holy Right™.
Indeed. I don't disagree with you at all. I haven't bought a new games console since the GameCube (2001) because I generally don't agree with the practices of console manufacturers. The manufacturers are of course entitled to do what they like. I know very well that I'm not their target audience. That doesn't mean that I don't like to unwind occasionally and play the odd video game. I was merely addressing the point that NX500 and plenty of others have made over time, which is "what's the point of running Linux on something that was designed for playing games?" To me there is a point as it's actually an incentive that might tempt me to purchase a console.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post: