Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
I think I posted that this was coming last year, but it's next year now, and as promised, AT&T has turned off 2g completely in the US in early 2017. Headlines read "Original iPhones Won't Work Anymore," but N900 owners will also find they can't use Ma Bell anymore either (3g bands on N900 aren't compatible). I suppose this applies to the original Jolla, too.

T-Mo has taken the opportunity to throw those users a "lifeline" for the wireless "internet of lowjack, burglar alarms, free-standing ATMs and bathroom scales" (my name for it). They say their 2g data service will last thru 2020.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Yes, I can confirm that this has happened in my metro area. T-mobile is the only major mobile carrier that has the bands that support the N900. Alternatively, users can also choose an MVNO that utilizes the T-mobile network.

In all cases, HSDPA access for the N900 in the US is going away, if it hasn't already. T-mobile is in the process of repurposing the 1700/2100 band to LTE only.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'm in a more rural area of NC and I can confirm this as true as well.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Wait the new president will fix 2G for you guys since he want to go back in time and make America great again............................................. ..................................................

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Interesting. so Jolla 1 phone is totally hosed on At&t. As if it mattered...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Wait the new president will fix 2G for you guys since he want to go back in time and make America great again............................................. ..................................................
I don't think 2G was around during the 50's era that they so kindly wish to return to.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: