Active Topics

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ new york
I don't understand what an internet tablet is. I just ordered the N800 thinking it was aphone. but now i dont understand. can i still make calls?

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
with an app like gizmo or skype you can make voice-over-IP calls to just about any one. it is not a cell phone, like motorola makes. it is, for lack of a better analogy, a PDA with much better internet capabilities.

check out skype.com or gizmoproject.com to get a better feel for the client apps.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

No its not a phone. It's little computer that fits in your pocket, so you can carry it about with you and browse the web and use other internet features on the go. You can make VoiP calls though, if you are in a wireless hotspot.

Personally, I found Gizmo very easy/intuitive for phone calling. I used it to make a call within 5 minutes of installing it using OS2008. I had no trouble with the built in mic and speakers, and neither did the other party. I haven't figured out how to use my Bluetooth headset with Gizmo (works great with media player though), so that may be a stumbling block, if you want to use one.

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ SF, CA
Originally Posted by renerene View Post
I don't understand what an internet tablet is. I just ordered the N800 thinking it was aphone. but now i dont understand. can i still make calls?
You can use it like a phone, but it is more for internet browsing and running programs like email and ebook readers and many other programs. People also use it for games and to listen to MP3s and watch videos.

You have to set it up to work like a phone. You need to install a program called Gizmo or Skype (you can google these). The N800 operating system software is called "Maemo" so you need Maemo versions of these programs (not too hard to find).

[Sorry experienced users, I know OS is Linux, or a Maemo version of Linux, just don't know how to say this easily]

Most important, you can ONLY use the N800 as a phone when you have either Wifi, or you have paired it to another phone using bluetooth. the N800 has phone abilities using VOIP, over the internet, so you need a Wifi connection or some other connection. Maybe its better to return this if you really need a phone.

This is how I ended up getting a brand new n800 for a fairly good price on Craigslist (at the time). Some guy ordered it expecting that it was like an iPhone. When he realized it was not a phone, he sold it.

I tried to tell him that he could use it as an internet phone, but he wanted a cell phone.

Really, if you have wireless, you can make calls nearly free. Plus there are all the fun geeky linux things.

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
The best way to describe the Tablets is this:

It's an Internet Tablet. Think of anything you'd want to do on the internet, and the Tablet can do that for you. It's small, portable, and touchscreen, but basically it brings the internet to your pocket.

For me, the internet is used for blogging, streaming music, and general browsing. Thus, I have Wordby, Vagalume, and the browser as my main-use things. There's also several fun games.

You may use the internet for webmail and browsing Flickr.

The Tablets work AWESOME as an internet radio device, alarm clock, etc.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by rcadden View Post
It's an Internet Tablet. Think of anything you'd want to do on the internet, and the Tablet can do that for you. It's small, portable, and touchscreen, but basically it brings the internet to your pocket.
Yeah, no. Nobody knows what the hell and internet tablet is. It's usually easier for me to describe to people as a "really, really small laptop".

Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
I'm with you GA, I call it "a very small Linux computer". The "computer" part says "more complex than an iPod", and the "Linux" part warns them that this is not the same OS as their desktop or laptop (in most cases).

If they are still interested after that description, they may be the right kind of user. Until it gets more user friendly, this is not a good device for people who want "simple".

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Yeah, no. Nobody knows what the hell and internet tablet is. It's usually easier for me to describe to people as a "really, really small laptop".

Eh, personally, I disagree with calling it a laptop or computer. It's not either of those, imo. It's an internet tablet. it's designed to use the internet, in whatever form or fashion that means to you.

But to each its own. Obviously, no one is really "right" in this discussion. It's whatever you want to use it for. There was a period of a few months when my N800 was solely a Mahjong gameboard, lol.