Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
i won't beat you up, don't worrry.

you probably didn't realize:
a) i was speaking tongue-in-cheek, and
b) you were talking to someone with majors in electrical engineering, physics, mathematics, foreign languages, and psychology. so i've had my fair share of liberal arts, as well.

anyway, if all you took from my text was a condemnation of liberal arts studies en masse, then you quite possibly missed my point.

and, we have now officially derailed the original thread a second (or is it the third, already?) time.

peace.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
You probably didn't realize you're talking to someone who got a liberal arts degree with a major in literature; I also helped the engineers and computer science majors fix their computers.
Well, that's no surprise; you're discussing CS types, for crying out loud; they are one tiny step this side of Mathematicians in usefulness for real world problems. As for engineering, well, one might hope it's better, but not really; almost half my research group use macs!

-- an unkempt, uncommunicative grad student
(honestly! big project due tomorrow, finals are next week, and quals two weeks after that; you'd be skipping beard trimming and sleep, too.)

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by briand View Post
you probably didn't realize i was speaking tongue-in-cheek...
Oh, you were? Hm, it is possible that I was also speaking in that mode...

if all you took from my text was a condemnation of liberal arts studies en masse, then you quite possibly missed my point.
And if you think I was defending the liberal arts, I think you might have been reading another post entirely. I was teasing you about the fact that an engineering type would think that a handheld gadget was a good way to "pick up" chicks.

...we have now officially derailed the original thread a second (or is it the third, already?) time.
And that is how one qoles!

Last edited by qole; 2008-04-30 at 07:28.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole
And that is how one qoles!
excellent. another item to add to my C.V.

Originally Posted by qole
I was teasing you about the fact that an engineering type would think that a handheld gadget was a good way to "pick up" chicks.
oh, perhaps I wasn't clear in my original post. in this age of cell phones, digital cameras, pdas, mp3 players, ad nauseum, it is, in fact, no longer an effective approach. but, it used to be.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Reading this thread with interest. Saw this today, and it seems relevant:

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20080...h-based-kiosk/

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Greyghost View Post
Reading this thread with interest. Saw this today, and it seems relevant:

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20080...h-based-kiosk/
Hooray. Minority Report style advertising just got one step closer.

i'll start worrying when we trade laser-printed report printing in for carving/etching/woodburning reports on hardwood spheres...

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
> Since I have GPS in my Nokia N810 Internet Tablet, why can't I get reminders that look like this? — About to pass Home Depot. Need to get electrical tape.* Or: One block from dry cleaners. Pick up Jill's sweater.

It's all been done before:

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT5938721

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
> would it be possible to use it in some sort of low-power mode with infrequent updates or somesuch?

It's possible:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=yLU...BAJ&dq=5592173