Who did loose rootfs space when installing stuff from ovi. did you also install themes? Because themes are on rootfs i believe.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
... I was hoping they'd add hot men)

so did I

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Beijing
Originally Posted by HRZ View Post
OK thank you very much RevdKathy for the link. UNFORTUNATELY it appears the geniuses at maemo/nokia have decided to not share but these 6 measly apps with those of us behind the Great Firewall (China). that is just awesome.
no ovi store or cool apps/games for me...
unless somehow i can get a proxy to work on the N900, which i still cant figure out how to do.
Can't you just proxy via your computer and get them that way?

I know it's "mafan" but you live in China mate, best get used to it

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by HRZ View Post
OK thank you very much RevdKathy for the link. UNFORTUNATELY it appears the geniuses at maemo/nokia have decided to not share but these 6 measly apps with those of us behind the Great Firewall (China). that is just awesome.
no ovi store or cool apps/games for me...
unless somehow i can get a proxy to work on the N900, which i still cant figure out how to do.
How weird. How you know that its because of Nokia? Would the very first hypothesis with yout firewall be that it's blocking and there should be rules on that great thing. If you had completely open system then there would probably be no problems.

I´m just bit amazed because of your attitude towards other people in the world to take your firewall into consideration. Or maybe I'm missing something.

Last edited by slender; 2010-01-12 at 09:29.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
You didn't get the birds either?

If you did, I can send you whatever you want from the free list - someone listed the whole catalogue here. PM me your number (I've deleted it) and wish-list tonight and I'll do them.

If you didn't even get the birds... then we will need to seriously Think about a solution.

Seems a bit silly for China to block Nokia. Apple, now, I could understand...

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
I find the choice of for-pay desktop images to be quite telling for the Ovi Store. . . .
The content of the Ovi Store tells about the store, right. But in the first place it tells about the developers uploading products there and setting the price. The success or not@of such products also tell about the Maemo users.

Let's see how things settle.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Most likely it's not neither Nokia nor the Great Firewall of China. I don't really see any reason for either of those to block current content in Ovi Store, especially if the Wall allready lets the store itself trough.

Propably it's the developers of these Apps that have chosen, for whatever reason, not to release them in every market.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 177 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ China
@slender: I guess it could be both. Nokia not wanted to promote the apps in China (maybe they are afraid of some kind of repercussions) or it could be the Great Firewall actively blocking all those apps for whatever reason. ps - i don't know what you're talking about when you say "my attitude against other people in the world" - I'm not Chinese. I may have accidentally pointed blame at a wrong entity (in this case Nokia/maemo) but it's not borne out of some kind of nationalistic pride.

@RevdKathy - I didnt even get the birdies
it looks like I need a proxy ON the N900. when I use a proxy (i have several apps on windows) and access the browser on my PC i see allllllll the goodies im missing out on! makes me wanna...leave china temporarily, download, and come back. I've dealt with the fact that i can't access facebook, twitter, or even youtube on the N900 but to do this! this is just unacceptable whether its coming from the firewall or from some kind of marketing thing on nokia/maemo's behalf.

is there any way to get a proxy up and running on the N900? i've searched but i havent found anything. and i dont know how to use openvpn (im assuming u use that WITH a paid service - i only use free proxies here)

or maybe there's a way to install these apps OFFLINE, and not OTA so that my IP address isnt even detected... doubt it.

I believe now is the most appropriate time for me to start a thread about getting (free vs paid) proxy/vpn on the N900. I need a how-to from all you experts out there.