I have N900 with $10 Unlimited web data plan. Recently TM announced 4G for Chicago where I live. I'm still getting same speeds as before. I would like to know if I should change my data plan.

Posts: 346 | Thanked: 139 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston Texas
N900 does not have 4g.

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ St. Paul, MN
Max you will see on the n900 is 10mb if I'm not mistaken...I have seen up to 8mb here...not sure what phones fully support the 21 yet.

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ San Diego, CA
It's technically not "4g" more like 3.5G. I have the $10 web plan and am in San Diego where the HSPA+ has already been activated. I get above 3g speeds with my plan so I doubt upgrading will make any difference except perhaps a lower latency.

Originally Posted by 1duce5 View Post
I have N900 with $10 Unlimited web data plan. Recently TM announced 4G for Chicago where I live. I'm still getting same speeds as before. I would like to know if I should change my data plan.
My suggestion is to go to tmobile store.
and borrow their 4g phone. and check the speed.
And compare with your maemo speed.

Then you will know whether it will make a difference or not.

Case 1:
Check the maemo speed at home (this will be your base)
Check the speed of maemo at the tmobile store (i assume this area will be covered by 4g otherwise find another store). compare the result.
Check the speed of 4g phone at tmobile store. compare the result.

Last casE:
Borrow the sim card of the 4g phone and test in your n900. then check the speed.

Then you will sure know whether its worth the $ to upgrade or not.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Atlanta
Do not upgrade your plan. T-Mobile does NOT have seperate 4G plans. it is the same 3.5G network that they have had all year just with the 4G marketing attached. If you are not getting HSPA+ speeds, that simply means that the tower near you has not been upgraded even though your city is a HSPA+ enabled city. I live in the atlanta area and I get 8Mbps in some areas while in other areas I only get 1Mbps. I have the $5.99 Tzones and have been doing speed tests since Feb 2010.

If you change plans, you will just end up paying more to access the same network towers and service.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deaconclgi For This Useful Post:
I don't think you need to do anything. The best case scenario you could get about 14 Mbps on so call 4G America. Which is as previously posted basically faster 3G network nothing more. Someting between 3G and 4G. And from what i read original 4G should bring about 100Mbps thats expectation and 4G is tottlay new world just wiki and you will see.

What "access point name" is defined under "Settings -> Internet Connections" for your TMO connection?

I live in a city with the new HSPDA+ service and I had the same experience. I realized, however, that I wasn't using the correct APN. I switched over to epc.tmobile.com and it tripled my connection speed.

In my case, I've often hit 8+ Mb/s and I'm loving it.

Last edited by kaput; 2010-11-15 at 17:57.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by joshv06 View Post
N900 does not have 4g.
correction///addition...

tmobile and all other carriers in the USA, do not have 4g...according to the ITU which says that 4g is 100mb+

your n900 will be just as fast if not faster then any device that is being sold right now with tmobile on thier "4g" network. you are not seeing any data speed differences since you were probably using the hsdpa+ already.

does it really matter if it's not officially 4G? it's tree times faster than 3G, so I don't care if you call it 7G, JG, toomanyGs, whatever. it's 4G in my eyes.