Notices

ah thanks! I don't mind the slowness since I usually update it in the morning when getting ready or at night before bed. It'll bee great since I'll be using the metro to go to school in Fall (sniff 60000) debt for two years.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

A short update:

- No more timeouts since the one in my last post. It happily downloaded 8 at once this morning. I'm more and more convinced it's my issue. Will let you know if it comes back and I have anything useful to add.

- Regarding the starvation reboots, I must unfortunately report that my tablet did it today during a *single feed update*. I was playing something in Pannucci at the time but that's nothing I haven't done before without such problems (in fact, sometimes I think having something else working the CPU can help, and that seems like it might make some sense if it's a starvation issue). The audio stuttered a few times before the eventual reboot. I still think it's very likely that your plan to go serial will stop this from happening most of the time but it looks like in some extreme scenarios it can even happen with one.

Cheers,
Tom.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
I'm trying out gPodder right now and so far I got mixed thoughts about it.

On the Pro-side:
- Nice feature sets such as choosing what media player, etc.
- Rather quick download of new episode.

On the Con-side:
- It takes a LONG time to add a new podcast / get the episode list ... a LONG TIME.....
- It seems to be a sluggish application in general often becoming kinda unresponsive - in particular the Preference window when opening it from the status bar icon.
- I tried for 20-30 mins to find a way to set the application to keep X number of episodes but could not find a way to do it

If only penguintv would even run for me I could try that one out....
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Hi Thomas! I just saw gpodder 0.17.0-1 come in tonight! GREAT new update!! I'm especially glad you made the fingerscrolling an OPTION now. I was able to toggle it around and figure out that--oddly, I preferred non-fingerscrolling. It was just faster. **shrug** And the passwords in my podcasts now WORK!! HUZZAH!!!

OK.. only two problems I found:
1) I can't select a bunch of episodes like I used to be able to before fingerscrolling.

MOST IMPORTANTLY...
2) I can't play episodes! I tap an episode and select play and nothing happens--it doesn't even mark it as played. Looks to me like maybe a simple error slipped through:

~ $ gpodder --maemo
Creating new from file gPodder
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gpodder/uibase.py:59: GtkWarning: Unknown property: GtkVSeparator.orientation

self.builder.add_from_file(os.path.join(ui_folder, ui_file))
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gpodder/gui.py", line 3120, in on_playback_selected_episodes
self.playback_episodes(self.get_selected_episodes( ))
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gpodder/gui.py", line 1662, in playback_episodes
banner = hildon.hildon_banner_show_animation(self.gPodder, None, _('Opening %s') % saxutils.escape(episode.title))
NameError: global name 'episode' is not defined
~ $

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Spoke too soon. The password thing is STILL a problem, oddly. I'll post the bug in the bugtracker later tonight when I get home.

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
1) I can't select a bunch of episodes like I used to be able to before fingerscrolling.
Please file a bug for this on bugs.maemo.org in the gPodder component of Maemo Extras.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
2) I can't play episodes! I tap an episode and select play and nothing happens--it doesn't even mark it as played. Looks to me like maybe a simple error slipped through:
Yep, thanks for pointing that out. I have fixed this error (mostly as a result of changing the code to allow multi-episode playback on the Desktop version) in 0.17.0-2 which has just been uploaded to the Extras Builder, and should appear in Extras-Devel today. Please report back if this works for you as expected, and I'll promote the package to Extras after that.

For the other bug (password-protected feeds?) please also don't forget to file a bug report.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
gPodder 0.17.0-2 has just been promoted from Extras-Devel to Extras. The update should appear today in your Application Manager (if you have not upgraded to 0.17.0-2 by using Extras-Devel already).

Some details about the release: gPodder 0.17.0 for Maemo 4 and Fremantle progress

The Following User Says Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
It seems I can no longer play an episode without downloading it. There was an option to turn this on in the previous version, but I couldn't find the option in the latest version.

Originally Posted by thp View Post
gPodder 0.17.0-2 has just been promoted from Extras-Devel to Extras. The update should appear today in your Application Manager (if you have not upgraded to 0.17.0-2 by using Extras-Devel already).

Some details about the release: gPodder 0.17.0 for Maemo 4 and Fremantle progress

I noticed the same problem last week but I updated again today & "play" appears to work again. Thanks for the quick fix!

Please file a bug for this on bugs.maemo.org in the gPodder component of Maemo Extras.

Yep, thanks for pointing that out. I have fixed this error (mostly as a result of changing the code to allow multi-episode playback on the Desktop version) in 0.17.0-2 which has just been uploaded to the Extras Builder, and should appear in Extras-Devel today. Please report back if this works for you as expected, and I'll promote the package to Extras after that.

For the other bug (password-protected feeds?) please also don't forget to file a bug report.
Thanks! Playing works fine now in 0.17.0-2, btw! Sorry about the bug reports on both bugs.gpodder.org and bugs.maemo.org. I started out putting the bug reports on bugs.gpodder.org, where I was used to doing it before, but I re-filed them onto bugs.maemo.org today where it seems to be the preferred method (I think... right?).

Thanks again, THP & Co!

Tags
media, podcasts