Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
I asked at the Qt Project [Development] list and Simon Hausmann pointed to http://qt.gitorious.org/qt-component...trees/qtquick2
Oh, and even http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt-5-on-Nokia-N9 has listed it:

https://qt.gitorious.org/~lauromoura...-qt-components

Ok, we have components then.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Hey Quim,

Thank you for accepting my application at Qt 5 Mobile Projects!

I’d like to get started as soon as I can, so please let me ask a few things about Qt 5 which I wasn’t able to find on the Qt Project wiki. I see that Qt 5 is alpha, and have read the linked pages, but still, there are a few things that aren’t clear.
  • Is there any IDE support at all for Qt 5?
    i.e. Can Qt 5 for the N9 be added as a target to the current Qt SDK, or is there any pre-release version of Qt Creator which supports it?
    (Compiling at the command line may not be a problem for most of us, but this’d be still convenient.)
  • Is Qt 5 in proper working condition on Harmattan (apart from the alpha state) or will we have to tweak it for ourselves?
  • Does Qt Quick 2 (including the scene graph, shader effects, etc.) work on the N9 or will we have to make it work ourselves?
  • When are we expectied to deliver the Qt 5 ports of our software?
  • On a personal note, I’d like to ask one more thing. It’s a little bit silly, but still. Can we pick our preferred colour of N9 that we like? I would really prefer the white version of the N9.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Anybody accepted in this activity should know a lot more about Qt 5 or how to get answers than myself. What is known is documented at http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt-5-on-Nokia-N9 and you are encouraged to improve the page with your own progress and findings, paving the way for other developers after you.

As far as I know there is no supported (or even documented) Qt 5 target for Qt Creator but you should be able to compile and add it as a target.

The wiki page above lists the Qt modules that have been included so far, based on the needs of the Qt WebKit team. If you need additional modules then you will need to prepare them. Talking to lmoura for coordination and inclusion sounds like a good idea.

Qt Base, Qt Declarative and Qt JS Backend are already packaged, so you should be all set for all the Qt Quick glory in Qt 5, including scene graph and shader effects.

Qt 5 Beta is expected before the Qt Contributors Summit (that is before June 21-23) and the final is expected to be released before the end of August. All participants in this activity are recommended t follow this timeline, showing your progress. Who knows, your project might end up being one of the showcases / demos / examples used in the Qt 5 launch.

And all the N9s are black, sorry.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
As far as I know there is no supported (or even documented) Qt 5 target for Qt Creator but you should be able to compile and add it as a target.
Well then, that might be the first thing I'll do. I'm quite fond of Qt Creator.

If you need additional modules then you will need to prepare them. Talking to lmoura for coordination and inclusion sounds like a good idea.
Yep, it sounds like a good idea.
Looking at the list of available modules, it seems that what I need is already covered by them, with the exception of Qt Creator support.

All participants in this activity are recommended t follow this timeline, showing your progress. Who knows, your project might end up being one of the showcases / demos / examples used in the Qt 5 launch.
That would be awesome!
I'll definitely blog about my experience and progress too.

And all the N9s are black, sorry.
No problem, I like the black one too, but it didn't hurt to ask.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Works. I tried that (on osx) when the aplha was released. Although I compiled both Qt5 and qtcreator so dunno if the binary versions of creator are lacking something from the master branch version.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 9 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by timoph View Post
Works. I tried that (on osx) when the aplha was released. Although I compiled both Qt5 and qtcreator so dunno if the binary versions of creator are lacking something from the master branch version.
I have the standard binary version of QtCreator installed through the QtSDK. I have also compiled my own version of Qt5 from the Git repo. I just added a new Qt version in the options and pointed to the qt5 qmake file.

This works and I have managed to quickly port my desktop application too Qt5. I used the fixheaders script to update the header linkages. The only thing that stumped me for 5 minutes was that I still got errors until I remembered QtWidgets is no longer part of core and I had to add it to my pro file.

Apart from that one small hiccup it was quite straight forward.

I imagine that QtCreator does not support the QML2 stuff in the designer yet but I am just getting into QML so not an expert yet.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stuartmarsden For This Useful Post:
9 developers accepted. There are 16 so far.

Many proposals are still pending, although I have gone through all of them. Some have questions open. The rest are waiting just in case more proposals appear, either about projects squeezing more the possibilities of Qt 5 in mobile or from developers with a more clear experience in Qt / QML / mobile.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
It's interesting to see that most of us prefer the N9. I wonder why that is.

A bit of context: Qt 5 key technical benefits http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt-5-release-marketing

Projects stressing those points have more chances of being accepted. They also will have more chances of being included or mentioned in the Qt 5 launch, if their developers are interested.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
Hey... Would the n900 support qt5?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bingomion For This Useful Post: