Active Topics

ivgavez: like your idea. would be better maybe to rework microb if we have the full source yet. that way more people would be able to compare to something the have used. any improvements could then be rolled into cssu or extras.

Gecko is a dog, true, but most of its footprint is data so the ISA won't make much difference.

I suspect any significant performance improvements will only materialise after at least the most commonly used libraries and the X11 stack have been rebuilt. Until then most processes are going to be switching between ISAs all the time (and dropping the BT caches to boot).

Cf http://syslog.movial.fi/archives/46-...ot-to-VFP.html (currently down, archive copy here).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
i would definitely add a warning that one needs at least ... free space on rootfs. /cleaning up right now

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Gecko is a dog, true, but most of its footprint is data so the ISA won't make much difference.

I suspect any significant performance improvements will only materialise after at least the most commonly used libraries and the X11 stack have been rebuilt. Until then most processes are going to be switching between ISAs all the time (and dropping the BT caches to boot).

Cf http://syslog.movial.fi/archives/46-...ot-to-VFP.html (currently down, archive copy here).
Well, I don't think the comparison with n800 is fair, what we have here is not thumb, but thumb2. Which is a totally different beast. There is no performance hit because of ISA switching, as there is no ISA switching . BTW I thumb2 compiled microb, and the difference in code size is about 7-8 MiB, which is a HUGE difference, having in mind browserd is always running. Unfortunately I was unable to run that binary and didn't have time to check why it aborts. microb will be my next favourite for thumb2 compilation once what is done so far is proved to not bring problems

@don_falcone: yeah, will add such a warning once I am back home, the reason is that Qt libs (being much smaller) are moved to rootfs from /opt. Theory says we sholud have an additional performance gain for Qt applications if libs are on faster NAND (NOR or whatever )

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
i have 65mb free on rootfs. cant install it. is it risky to install??

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
...hey man, my rootfs space is more tight than a ...! Can i remove kernel-power afterwards? Especially the modules?

Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Well, I don't think the comparison with n800 is fair, what we have here is not thumb, but thumb2. Which is a totally different beast.
An analogy, not a direct comparison :-) A lot of the same underlying issues apply, ie you won't see much of the potential performance improvement until you have converted most of the software stack.

There is no performance hit because of ISA switching, as there is no ISA switching .
Well, if you have a thumb2 binary issuing calls to the standard (non-thumb) libc etc, there's going to be switching. Or am I missing something?

BTW I thumb2 compiled microb, and the difference in code size is about 7-8 MiB, which is a HUGE difference
Indeed, that does sound significant :-)

Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
...hey man, my rootfs space is more tight than a ...!
hehe. Maybe you should work harder on that ... rootfs

Can i remove kernel-power afterwards? Especially the modules?
Deffinitely. You can remove all of the kernel-power stuff and dpkg --force-all install KPS .deb

@Mohammed Muid: yes, what we're discussing with don_falcone is something in the range 10-15 MiB

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900

Community SSU developer

...too little, give some slack and say 25Mb at least. I had 4MB free and was forced to temporarily move out 'beta' theme, locale-archive, dsp libs, nokia-maps, poker-th, and so on & on. Afterwards the upgrade i had 152kB left

Last edited by don_falcone; 2012-06-12 at 10:56.

Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
...too little, give some slack and say 25Mb at least. I had 4MB free and was forced to temporarily move out 'beta' theme, locale-archive, dsp libs, nokia-maps and so on. afterwards i had 152kB left
OK, going to update the first post

Community SSU developer

Tags
code size, dinosaurs, fmg ftw!, fmg.da.king, performance, thumb, thumb life