Posts: 185 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Veitshöchheim, Germany
Hi,

just wanted to ask if there is any other navigation software yet or in the line for the N9 that works offline (=maps are on the device) with voice (please no microsoft sam or similar) and that have more functions than ovi maps. I dont like ovi maps and i used sygic on my N900 which is pretty much what i am looking for. The ovi maps has not enough frames and updates my position like once in 2 seconds or so. With sygic, it looks flawlessly (hope you guys know what i mean)

Strange, but Nokia Drive updates my position continuously as I drive and does it quite accurately. Try an online navigation app first like CloudGPS to make sure it is not a hardware issue.

cloudgps works without a problem but i never had luck with ovi maps. not on the N900, not on the N9. it was always like a slideshow

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
CloudGSP is not offline.

yep, thats why i dont wanna use it. i am sometimes in area´s where there is no internet connection and thats why i need offline navigation. (dont have a problem with gps there though)

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Scusi, i didn't realized that you were the OP.

what is an OP?

Original Poster.

aah thanks

Well, there now is Marble:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82196
also available from the store, and you need to install both marble and monav.
For Marble, the tmo link above has info on where to get early/testing packages.

The dev is very responsive, and now's the time to feed him with ideas.
BTW he has an N950.

At the moment, there's no offline map drawing tool, this will come in the near future. So that also means that the map has north at top, it's not able to rotate the map according to compass or direction of movement.

The map data that one has to download (integrated in the settings menu) for offline routing is only for cars in most regions, I didn't yet figure out how to create my own routing data map; I want pedestrian and cyclist maps as well for some regions.

The latest version I got already has 'download tiles along route', not sure if the Ovi store version has that.

BTW the routing engine monav is very fast, just drag the route to a new point, that will be inserted as new waypoint, the new route will be instantly calculated and shown.

The Following User Says Thank You to aRTee For This Useful Post: