Notices

Huh, thats odd. I think thats the same message that you would get if you just ran /etc/osso-af-init/matchbox.sh stop directly. The script (matchbox.sh) needs some environment variables to be defined. I believe thats what

source /etc/osso-af-init/osso-gtk.defs
source /etc/osso-af-init/matchbox.defs

does. It loads the proper variables into the environment.

Enter those two source lines, then type

echo $AF_PIDDIR

to see if that the variable is now defined.

Mine outputs "/tmp/af-piddir"

The Following User Says Thank You to iiiedokeiii For This Useful Post:
Posts: 33 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Aug 2008 @ South Carolina
Thanks for the quick response.....I will try that when I get back home tonite.....and let you know....

I had to reflash my N810 due to hosing it when I tried to get the boot to SD working. I got it all flashed and booted to the SD, and installed everything per your original TAR. But when I run the script file(Benson's) that fires off from the CPU menu, It doesnt do anything.

So I started trying to run each thing one at a time....but maybe I didnt fire them off in order correctly. I will try yours in that order below and see where it gets me.

Thanks,
Steve

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Aug 2008 @ South Carolina
ok
I found two issues.
1. couldnt use the "gtk" from above, but used source /etc/ instead of ./etc/ in bensons code and it wored. I got a variable for the af_piddir.
2. I was calling the script with /Home/ instead of /home/. The case got me.

Thanks so much...!!!1 Support on here is awesome.
Steve

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm curious; has anyone managed to get a non-hildon-desktop panel (with the menu, switcher, etc) and systray (with icons for presence, bluetooth, wlan, volume/brightness, battery, etc) to start up? As nice as the hildon panels are, I'd like to have a more configurable set. It seems to me that we should be able to find a standard set of (gnome/gtk) panels and point them to the hildon panel plugins...

This would be a very cool hack!

Hi guys, sorry for the revival .
First of many thanks for this interesting thread. I'm very interested in using fvwm as my default wm instead of matchbox as this way I would have the best of to worlds. The link to download fvwm2.tar seems to be dead. is there another place where I could get it (easy debian repository doesn't work either). In advance thank you

Hey. Yeah, sorry about the dead link, I no longer have an account on that server. Anyway, I had stopped using fvwm in favor of openbox, which is actually in one of the repos. Its highly configurable, I really liked it. I used it in conjunction with fbpanel. (as I think it was named) which is also in a repo. I'd give it a try. You will still need to stop matchbox, I don't remember if the how to on that is somewhere in this thread.

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Austria
openbox+fbpanel sounds interresting, I have installed both;

the hint how to stop matchbox on this thread (p2,#15) works, but leaves the left and top panels (whatever they are called) running. How to kill those?

Openbox seems to need complete keyboard reconfiguration for an N810. Do you have a template openbox.rc?

Similarly, fbpanel. Can you post your configuration files?

I want to use my N810 as X11-terminal over ssh.

openbox+fbpanel sounds interresting, I have installed both;

the hint how to stop matchbox on this thread (p2,#15) works, but leaves the left and top panels (whatever they are called) running. How to kill those?

Openbox seems to need complete keyboard reconfiguration for an N810. Do you have a template openbox.rc?

Similarly, fbpanel. Can you post your configuration files?

I want to use my N810 as X11-terminal over ssh.

Unfortunately, the config files are long gone (and my n800 has bit the dust.) I think fbpanel makes a config file in .config, but Im not sure. Openbox says that the default config is in /etc/xdg/openbox/, but I dont know if that holds on maemo. Also I believe you can fully stop hildon desktop by running /etc/osso_af_init/hildon_desktop.sh stop. (this is from memory). The downside is that it will kill every app lauched via the desktop (including the terminal). To get around this you need to run the terminal from inside screen or you nohup.

Thanks! Helped a lot.
Here is my solution:

#!/bin/sh
(
# nohup does not exist - trap SIGHUP myself
trap "" SIGHUP
# otherwise fbpanel will not get hold
rm .fbpanel/default

source /etc/osso-af-init/osso-gtk.defs
source /etc/osso-af-init/matchbox.defs
echo Theme is $MBTHEME
source /etc/osso-af-init/hildon-desktop.sh stop
sleep 2
source /etc/osso-af-init/matchbox.sh stop
sleep 3
openbox-session &
sleep 10
# source /etc/osso-af-init/hildon-desktop.sh stop
# sleep 2
) >/dev/null 2>/dev/null </dev/null ;

Works with default configuration; a few programs make troubles.
osso-xterm appears in the "System" menu.
microb can be started by typing "browser", but does not show navigation bar.
e-mail can be started by typing "modest showui".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petersteier For This Useful Post: