Notices

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Martin,

I managed to build mapnik 2.2.0! I simply switched to the thumb toolchain and: it works!

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
[a separate post so you don't miss it]

Besides, I guess it should be possible to get mapnik on Sailfish. There's boost 1.51 (we need 1.47 for mapnik 2.2, the same for 3.0.10) available in the emulator, mapnik used a couple of other libraries, but they could be gotten from some desktop distro. As far as I recall, the main problem porting was a) getting some recent libboost b) coping with scons [I had to use a local copy]

I have no Sailfish device so I won't maintain the Sailfish port of mapnik, but if you find someone to port it to Sailfish (this shouldn't be so hard since Sailfish seems to gather most development nowadays) you'll have the right toolkit for offline maps on Fremantle & Sailfish.

As for the Fremantle port: although I'll have to drop my N900 as my daily driver, I may maintain the port for some time. I'd prefer to stay on 2.2, but if you need some great & cool feature from the more recent version, I may find a while to upgrade to upstream.

/edit: a quick look and I see that mapnik 3.0.10 on Fremantle may be feasible but not easy. So we'd better stay on 2.2 unless we have a good reason.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Last edited by marmistrz; 2016-07-27 at 13:09.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by SKD View Post
Edit: Anyway, I like the look of modRana and would like to use it for navigation in future. Unfortunately I don't really understand how to use it for navigation yet. I looked into this howto: http://modrana.org/trac/wiki/TurnByTurnNavigationEN
But the gui looks different in the recent version. I manage to put a green target point on the map but I don't know how to start the navigation itself.
Also: When I click in the menu at POI nothing happens at all and in the options menu at POI there's an empty page. Are these features not supported yet?
N900 or Jolla ? Also Offline or Online navigation ?

Originally Posted by SKD View Post
Another Edit:
If I'm using both modRana and Maep-qt on my Jolla which both store map tiles, would it be possible to use the same directory for both apps so I don't have to download and save all the maps twice?
If Maep uses the same tile storage method as modRana (which is quite likely) it should work, at least for some layers. Possibly with symlinks or by changing the path to the tile storage folder in one of the apps. I'm not sure if Maep can do that but for modRana you can change the path by editing the ~/.config/harbour-modrana/user_config.conf file.

Originally Posted by MikeHG View Post
Has anyone noticed that OpenStreetMap 'Hike and Bike' isn't working?

I noticed that it's now called 'Hike and Bike 2' - could be as simple as a URL change?

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Hike_%26_Bike_Map
Got a PR from someone (was it you ? :-) ) and it's fixed in git and will be fixed in the next release.

Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Martin,

I managed to build mapnik 2.2.0! I simply switched to the thumb toolchain and: it works!
Nice!

[a separate post so you don't miss it]

Besides, I guess it should be possible to get mapnik on Sailfish. There's boost 1.51 (we need 1.47 for mapnik 2.2, the same for 3.0.10) available in the emulator, mapnik used a couple of other libraries, but they could be gotten from some desktop distro. As far as I recall, the main problem porting was a) getting some recent libboost b) coping with scons [I had to use a local copy]

I have no Sailfish device so I won't maintain the Sailfish port of mapnik, but if you find someone to port it to Sailfish (this shouldn't be so hard since Sailfish seems to gather most development nowadays) you'll have the right toolkit for offline maps on Fremantle & Sailfish.
Yeah - to make a sustainable routing solution for (at least) both Fremantle & Sailfish having Mapnik on both would certainly be beneficial.

As for the Fremantle port: although I'll have to drop my N900 as my daily driver, I may maintain the port for some time. I'd prefer to stay on 2.2, but if you need some great & cool feature from the more recent version, I may find a while to upgrade to upstream.
Thanks!

/edit: a quick look and I see that mapnik 3.0.10 on Fremantle may be feasible but not easy. So we'd better stay on 2.2 unless we have a good reason.
OK - BTW, is there a 2/3 change comparison somewhere ?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
New modRana release plans - in brief
It's been an awfully long while since the latest modRana release and it's time to change that. The current ETA is a couple of weeks from now - I'm on vacation next week, so certainly not earlier than after that.

So what can you expect on the next release ?

Map layer updates & new layers - these have already been merged and will certainly be in the next release.

Initial offline routing support on Sailfish OS
- the code is also in but needs some polishing, but will most probably be part of the next release.

Improved map display
- faster, more efficient & without that annoying flickering. I've got it working quite recently (it no longer crashes PyOtherSide, yay! :-) ), but it is a pretty big change so might not be ready for the next release but the one after. There might be testing packages/instructions for those brave enough before that.

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Hi,

Like SKD in post #1889, I have installed latest version of modRana (0.53.2) on my Jolla phone... but the display and available options look different and much more limited than from modRana's howto.

For instance I can start the routing, set the start and end points. mordant will then suggest a route... but the actual navigation never starts.

Is it that on Jolla only a subset of the features are supported?

Thanks for clarifications and help... I would really like to find an application that allows realtime navigation while cycling.

PS: I suppose I am trying the online routing mode as Navigation settings is on Google - online

Complement:
I took some screenshots of a session:
* the main menu => modRana-menu.jpg
* Options>Navigation settings => modRana-Navigation-option.jpg
* finally a screenshot of how it looks once a route was selected (start & stop) and I started to move, and did not follow the suggested route.... => modRana-Routing.jpg

Help to understand how to use modRana on Jolla would be needed.

Thanks again, Pate
Attached Images

Last edited by pate; 2016-09-07 at 19:48.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pate For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Hey N900 modrana users, modRana needs some testing and promotion votes. See this post for info.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
Hey N900 modrana users, modRana needs some testing and promotion votes. See this post for info.
Is there some testing guide/thread? Can any user do that?

The Following User Says Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by t-b View Post
Is there some testing guide/thread? Can any user do that?
I really should have linked to the whole testing squad thread instead of the last post, sorry about that.

Check out the first post in this thread and its links for more info on getting involved and contributing to the package testing process.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pate View Post
Hi,

Like SKD in post #1889, I have installed latest version of modRana (0.53.2) on my Jolla phone... but the display and available options look different and much more limited than from modRana's howto.

For instance I can start the routing, set the start and end points. modRana will then suggest a route... but the actual navigation never starts.

Is it that on Jolla only a subset of the features are supported?
Yes, that's unfortunately how it is - the Qt 5 UI used by modRana on Sailfish OS does not yet provide all the features the "classic" modRana UI (based on GTK2) provides. The features are supported by the common modRana "core", just not yet shown by the UI as that unfortunately requires an untrivial ammount of work. I eventually aim to reach feature parity - and it is even quite possible that the "new" UI will have features the "classic" UI does not provide, mainly due to technical reasons (GTK2 requiring Python 2, thing that can be done easily in QML but not so much in GTK2, etc.).

In this concrete exampl - routing - modRana on Sailfish OS has the same data as modRana with the classic GUI on say a N900 or Fedora, but the new UI so far only displays simple routing interface (only start/destination, no waypoints or address to address routing, etc.). Also even though modRana actually has the routing directions available, they are not displayed in the new UI as the needed pieces of the UI code to show them (next manuever, switching between manuevers, showing full list of directions, rerouting,...) have not yet been added...

Thanks for clarifications and help... I would really like to find an application that allows realtime navigation while cycling.

PS: I suppose I am trying the online routing mode as Navigation settings is on Google - online

* finally a screenshot of how it looks once a route was selected (start & stop) and I started to move, and did not follow the suggested route.... => modRana-Routing.jpg
That's yet another side effect of the missing functionality - modRana has the code needed to check if you are following the route & reroute if necessary, but it is not yet enabled as there are no UI elements to reasonably provide feedback about what's going on with the route.

Eventually it should go like this:
* you specify start and destination (points from map, addresses, POI, etc.)
* modRana searches a route/routes for your specification
* if youre are ok with the suggested route you start a button to start turn-by-turn navigation
* modRana switches to a turn-by-turn navigation mode (shows map with route, next turn description, distance to turn, potentially other info)

Thanks again, Pate
Thank you for using modRana!

Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
I just want to say that I very much appreciate all the work you and fellow Maemo app testers do - thanks a lot!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 188 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Poland
Hi there all. Be aware, there will be some ancient questions in my post. I need offline navigation working as Im going from Poland do Czech Republic. I've downloaded maps from data.modrana.org and unpacked them into monav folder in maps, everything went well.

But now, I did everything covered in here: https://wiki.maemo.org/ModRana_offline_routing_guide

Modrana still works only online, even with proper settings, when Im offline the app still tries to download maps and of coure failing as there is no data connection. The only available map area is the part downloaded by app when I was online, Sorry for not reading whole 200 pages as I need it working soon and have no time to look for solution through all this pages. here are some screenshots. What am I doing wrong?

The Following User Says Thank You to Ridd92 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps