Posts: 21 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Madrid, Spain
Hi there,

I've been lurking the site since n900 was announced but this is my first post, yay!

And here's the question: is it known whether the harmattan release will be officially supported on the n900?
Haven't found anything on it after searching for a while, and it would be a nice thing to know.

See ya!

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to togashi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
No official word on that yet. Note that we don't know what Harmattan will bring hardware-wise, which might very well influence that decision.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Pending some major hardare changes which bring some incompatibilities (like the switch to OMAP3 in Fremantle from Diable based hardware), the mlve to QT softwarewise should not be an issue in Harmattan running on N900.

But this is just an unofficial community take on Harmattan move.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Madrid, Spain
Thanks for your answers.

I think someone from Nokia should state their position on this before the device is released. I know they are going to talk about Harmattan at Maemo Summit, but that's too late.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
it will all depend on how long it will take before the switchover happens, and how much nokia feels the pressure to get new hardware sales going.

the more nokia feels the need to do some major hardware bump before we hear anything about harmattan (remember, N900/fremantle is not yet out there for people to use, so its at least a year away) the likelier it will be that there will be no harmattan for N900.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
This question was asked in the interview with Dr. Ari Jaaksi and he said they really dont know!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 283 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ US Air Force
what is harmattan bring to the table that maemo 5 doesnt already do...

i really just thought the aim for that was more towards the older tablets since the hardware was dated in comparison to the n900

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
well, the N900 starts selling here where i live around the 15th October..Summit is 11th? So i will know in time... but in the worst case that Maemo 6 wont be for the N900...does it matter that much? I mean, what could possibly Maemo 6 add/have that 5 doesn't?
I think the updates for the N900 will enhance the experience alot..

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
The main difference with Maemo 6 will be that it uses QT (instead of GTK+) by default. I would guess that wouldn't require new hardware (although I'm sure new hardware will appear at the same time), but who knows.

Last edited by pelago; 2009-09-06 at 16:59.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I think maemo 6 will be a more main stream version with carrier subsidies and other lock ins. Of course all the features will be updated without any major bugs wheras now we will have a significant number of bugs.

I would say the n900 will have more value than maemo 6 just for geeks.

Tags
compatibility, future, harmattan, harmattan is for new $$$, maemo, maemo 6, n900, speculation, upgrade