Notices

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ The South Pole O.o
Originally Posted by eitama View Post
Installed, my comments :
1. proximity sensor only brings up the interface, it does not hide it,
which is a bit annoying, but that my personal opinion, and you can just tap elsewhere.
2. While the interface is being displayed, the camera shutter button does NOT work, You need to go back to camera interface and take the shot, in this case, the half press is not intercepted by lFocus, and the manual focus is replaced by auto focus.

Suggestions :
1. Make proximity sensor toggle the UI on/off.
2. Add a checkbox to the left of the manual focus progress bar which will control the functionality of intercepting the half press.
This will allow one to set manual focus, remove the UI to get fullscreen without dimming / blurring - take the shot without auto-focus getting in the way.

Good job mate,
I enjoy doing QA for you.
Eitam.

Edit :
1 more bug, which existed in all versions as far as I remember.
- The hw keyboard shortcuts do not always work on the 1st hit, they sometimes require double click, even if you just toggle red light on off on hw keyboard this happens.
thank you for your observations
1. when I first wrote the code for the proximity it was for showing and hiding the dialog but it got annoying when I put my thumb on the proximity by mistake and hide the dialog, then I thought it would be better just to tap on the screen to hide it instead.
2.lfocus does not turn off autofocus by default you only do that by turning on the keyboard shortcuts, as for taking a picture while the menu is shown, the solution I could think of right now is to automatically hide the menu and start capturing immediately, I think it is a good Idea and I will implement it in a future release.
3. yes the keyboard shortcuts are a bit laggy right now and you should hold on the shortcut for a little while for it to activate. I think I will find a solution for that in a future release also.
[Edit]
for #1 I think I could add a toggle button for the proximity showing/hiding the dialog

Last edited by m2cm2c; 2010-05-28 at 17:28.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by m2cm2c View Post
thank you for your observations
1. when I first wrote the code for the proximity it was for showing and hiding the dialog but it got annoying when I put my thumb on the proximity by mistake and hide the dialog, then I thought it would be better just to tap on the screen to hide it instead.
2.lfocus does not turn off autofocus by default you only do that by turning on the keyboard shortcuts, as for taking a picture while the menu is shown, the solution I could think of right now is to automatically hide the menu and start capturing immediately, I think it is a good Idea and I will implement it in a future release.
3. yes the keyboard shortcuts are a bit laggy right now and you should hold on the shortcut for a little while for it to activate. I think I will find a solution for that in a future release also.
[Edit]
for #1 I think I could add a toggle button for the proximity showing/hiding the dialog
I am glad to help, you are doing fine work.
1. I understand about the proximity sensor, it's cool if you leave it as show UI only.
2. After reading what you wrote, I will change my suggestion :
when the UI pops up, it should automatically turn on keyboard shortcuts, this way you can close the UI, and still enjoy the manual focus you configured. Then, to go back to autofocus, the user needs to tap the proximity sensor again, and uncheck the checkbox I suggested earlier you should add.
3. Cool (;

Edit :
- The blinking red in timer mode is working great!
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

The Following User Says Thank You to eitama For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
It would be nice to add a delay to the proximity sensor, like a requirement to hold it 2 seconds before the menu appears. Its reacting sometimes on "false alarms" too quick.

Disabling the entire zoom could be also quite handy, replacing the zoom buttons with the manual focus also in the default camera mode would be better. (I saw that it works only in keyboard mode)

Except that I really like the plugin and use it very often

The Following User Says Thank You to Crogge For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eitama View Post
I am glad to help, you are doing fine work.
1. I understand about the proximity sensor, it's cool if you leave it as show UI only.
2. After reading what you wrote, I will change my suggestion :
when the UI pops up, it should automatically turn on keyboard shortcuts, this way you can close the UI, and still enjoy the manual focus you configured. Then, to go back to autofocus, the user needs to tap the proximity sensor again, and uncheck the checkbox I suggested earlier you should add.
3. Cool (;

Edit :
- The blinking red in timer mode is working great!
how about this:
move the toggle keyboard button from the status menu to the lfocus dialog ???

[edit]
Originally Posted by Crogge View Post
It would be nice to add a delay to the proximity sensor, like a requirement to hold it 2 seconds before the menu appears. Its reacting sometimes on "false alarms" too quick.

Disabling the entire zoom could be also quite handy, replacing the zoom buttons with the manual focus also in the default camera mode would be better. (I saw that it works only in keyboard mode)

Except that I really like the plugin and use it very often
the proximity idea is good and I will consider it in a future release.
as for the zoom situation I think putting the keyboard toggle button in the lfocus dialog should do the trick!

Last edited by m2cm2c; 2010-05-28 at 17:50.

Does not work for me. Disabled shortcutd (which was using proximity sensor) but still didn't work.

If one keeps camera lens cover open all the time (mine is and cannot shut it down), will the program work?

Also tried to manually start lfocus.py on xterminal (sudo ...). Starts, but when camera button is pressed and camera application comes in front, I still cannot see anything which would tell there is some extra (lfocus).

Last edited by zimon; 2010-05-28 at 17:58.

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Does not work for me. Disabled shortcutd (which was using proximity sensor) but still didn't work.

If one keeps camera lens cover open all the time (mine is and cannot shut it down), will the program work?
lfocus will not open up until it gets the signal from the lens cover.

whats on my mind now is that you can play with the stop_focus.py script to make it force the lens cover signal.

[edit]
or

you can hash out (comment out "#") the "self.hide_all()" located in line 130 of lfocuswi.py and replace it with "self.show_all()"

[edit]
Also tried to manually start lfocus.py on xterminal (sudo ...). Starts, but when camera button is pressed and camera application comes in front, I still cannot see anything which would tell there is some extra (lfocus).
do not run lfocus.py directly
instead use:
sudo lfocus start
that will activate the keyboard script for you
and when you're done type in:
sudo lfocus stop

Last edited by m2cm2c; 2010-05-28 at 18:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to m2cm2c For This Useful Post:
Made the self.show_all() modification.

Got it working by manually starting from terminal. However, I have to CTRL+C to quit "sudo lfocus start" in the end?

Couldn't see any icon/information in the camera/video window though, with or without covering proximity sensor with my left thumb.

Made the self.show_all() modification.

Got it working by manually starting from terminal. However, I have to CTRL+C to quit "sudo lfocus start" in the end?

Couldn't see any icon/information in the camera/video window though, with or without covering proximity sensor with my left thumb.
I've forgotten to mention that you have to execute the following as root after modifying the line:
pkill -f /usr/bin/hildon-status-menu
if you want to use the proximity sensor type in the following as a normal user in the terminal:
sudo lfocus start_proximity
and when you're done
sudo lfocus stop_proximity

lfocus_0.528-4
fixed stop RLED toggle button and made it always off, so it needs to be turned on by the user only when taking a video
Now available in Extras-testing

I'm in need of testers, thank you.

start_proximity helped. Now I can see the controls when proximity sensor is covered.

However, is it normal, "sudo lfocus start" never returns until quit with CTRL+C?

If one keeps camera in the stand by, not closing the lens cover or camera application, but just leaving it to the backgroung; then using keyboard to type a message for example will adjust the focus and turn LEDs on/off? Maybe you could make a change, that if Camera application is not in the foreground, then do nothing although the keys are pressed.

Tags
lfocus