Active Topics

I'm more frustrated w/ the n800 every day. In the old day, the nokia 770, I fliped the case over, and boom, screen lock& suspend mode all in one. On N800, I usually lock the screen every after use eg: hit power button follow by the square button, still it doesn't put the n800 into suspend(sleep) mode. I thrown(not literally) the n800 right into my DSlite case. And some time, after I picked up the n800 out of the case, the system ran out of the battery because it didn't go to sleep. I wonder if anyone have a hack that if I hit the sequence keys(power follow by square) and it put the unit into sleep+screenlock. Then I don't have to worry about the key or screen being press(sqeezed) in the case before it went to sleep.

If you configure the device to not automatically try to connect to wi-fi then the two-button screenlock mode is equivalent to what you think of as 'sleep' mode of the 770. There is no sleep mode, just very efficient power saving and it goes on all the time.
Another thing (and this is reported as a bug on buzilla) is that you must also configure the two timeouts (you find them in the screen setting IIRC in the control panel) to be the same value.

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
(you find them in the screen setting IIRC in the control panel) to be the same value.
Correct.

I actually put my device into offline mode then lock mode. Whole process takes 2 maybe 3 seconds. I charge my battery every few days mainly because I am pretty heavy user.. if its not the net, or an ebook, its hacking in something new on the dual boot.

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
If you configure the device to not automatically try to connect to wi-fi then the two-button screenlock mode is equivalent to what you think of as 'sleep' mode of the 770. There is no sleep mode, just very efficient power saving and it goes on all the time.
Another thing (and this is reported as a bug on buzilla) is that you must also configure the two timeouts (you find them in the screen setting IIRC in the control panel) to be the same value.
You missed my point. What I tired to say is, if I hit the combo key, I want the unit to screen/button lock and power off the screen, if I touch the screen it will not power on and tell me how to unlock the unit unless I start with the power button. On the other hand, if the screen brightness time out and screenlock time out, leave them as usual.

Originally Posted by freeman View Post
You missed my point. What I tired to say is, if I hit the combo key, I want the unit to screen/button lock and power off the screen, if I touch the screen it will not power on and tell me how to unlock the unit unless I start with the power button. On the other hand, if the screen brightness time out and screenlock time out, leave them as usual.
I am sorry, I don't understand what your trying to say.. your comes back on when you hit the screen? Then you didn't set the time outs to be equal.. if you do, then only the power button allows unlock.

freeman: As schmots said. See my earlier posting. The timeouts must be equal.

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Hertfordshire, UK
Also, as far as I can see, you have to lock the device from the home screen. If you lock the device when viewing another app, the screen continues to respond to taps.

edit: ignore me ... I'm talking bollocks. It seems to be a bit inconsistent in its behaviour sometimes! ;o)

Last edited by w14; 2007-02-27 at 19:02.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Wirral, UK
This might be the answer you are looking for:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=4625

(Long push on the power button switches off the LCD and the touchscreen, until you push long again.)

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by freeman View Post
There is a thread on how to reconfigure the power key so that a long keypress invokes the "softpoweroff" state (which is not mentioned on the power menu, but is a valid option). If you enter the terms "longkeypress" and "softpoweroff" in the search box, it's the only thread that'll show up. Just browse for the instructions.

For all intents and purposes, setting longkeypress to softpoweroff gives you the same result on the N800 as sliding the cover over the 770, minus the fact that on the N800 network connections are not automatically shut down, but you can always set their timeout to a low value if you're concerned about the minimal power drain.

In any case, I found that, after setting WLAN power to 10mA, the effect of an open WLAN connection on the N800's battery life is negligeable.

I did wonder about one thing.. what about bluetooth.. You can set wireless to timeout after 5 minutes (if you don't set it to auto scan), but what about bluetooth? I use my keyboard a lot, but when I have it locked I want that off too.

I post to this thread because its currently active