Notices

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by dragly View Post
Any suggestions?
I'm not entirely familiar with debian packaging, but you're still installing under debian/mbarcode whereas the package is now mbarcode-core - does this need updating?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 597 | Thanked: 490 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
No shortcut anymore confirm . . .
Can NOT confirm!
Everything works for me...

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
I'm not entirely familiar with debian packaging, but you're still installing under debian/mbarcode whereas the package is now mbarcode-core - does this need updating?
I don't think so, but let's give it a try. Uploading a new one now.

@Rob1n: Thank you! You were perfectly right.

I just had a quick look at the directory names at first, and though that "mbarcode" was used to indicate where some shared files ended up on the hard drive after install. It seems it doesn't do that at all, and that the dpkg builder needs the folder name to be the same as the package.

Again, thanks! Hopefully the update will fix the missing shortcut in a few minutes.

For those wondering, the first update of mbarcode-core that fixes the problem has version number 1.0.2-6. This version is forced by minimum by mbarcode 1.0.3-1.

Last edited by dragly; 2011-04-26 at 16:52.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dragly For This Useful Post:
Posts: 539 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
Will try if it works now, but downgrading the app might be a problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to x-lette For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by x-lette View Post
Will try if it works now, but downgrading the app might be a problem.
You don't have to downgrade, but upgrade. It was mbarcode-core that is corrected in its version mbarcode-core _1.0.2-6, and mbarcode now forces this to be installed (or any later version) after mbarcode_1.0.3-1.

The version numbers are similar, but don't follow eachother I've updated the above post to reflect that.

In short, all you should have to do is upgrade your mbarcode package in the package manager and it will take care of the rest.

The Following User Says Thank You to dragly For This Useful Post:
Installed core 1.0.2-7 now (what's the diff to 1.0.2-6?).
It works again! many thanks for your effort to make it functional again!

One word to dependencies: formerly there was a package called plugins-all or like that which just installed all available plugins and mbarcode itself didn' depend on any plugin. Now some plugins are depended on by mbarcode. Are they really needed? I guess one could use it even without plugin wifi or qrcode, right?

I just uninstalled mbarcode and only left -core and some of the -plugins on my system. Works fine!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x-lette For This Useful Post:
The change from mbarcode-core 1.0.2-6 to 1.0.2-7 is a change to the libs section to avoid having the core package show up side-by-side with the mbarcode (meta) package in the package manager. I tried to use user/hidden for this, but it failed, so I guess we're stuck with libs if we want to promote it to Extras testing.

The dependencies changed because it became a blocker when pushing to Extras testing. Now the dependencies work this way:
mbarcode depends on mbarcode-core and some useful, well-working plugins. This package contains nothing.
mbarcode-core depends only on libraries needed for the executable. This package contains the executable, icons, etc.
All plugins, usually named mbarcode-plugin-*, depend on mbarcode-core. These contain plugin files.

mbarcode-plugins-all is discontinued and may safely be removed.

There is just one problem as I see it with the above solution, and that is that mbarcode-core probably won't be removed by the package manager if you uninstall mbarcode. I'm not sure if this is true, but its a minor problem and could in the worst case be fixed by putting mbarcode-core back into the user/* sections - thus making it visible in the application manager again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dragly For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dragly View Post
The change from mbarcode-core 1.0.2-6 to 1.0.2-7 is a change to the libs section to avoid having the core package show up side-by-side with the mbarcode (meta) package in the package manager. I tried to use user/hidden for this, but it failed, so I guess we're stuck with libs if we want to promote it to Extras testing.

The dependencies changed because it became a blocker when pushing to Extras testing. Now the dependencies work this way:
mbarcode depends on mbarcode-core and some useful, well-working plugins. This package contains nothing.
mbarcode-core depends only on libraries needed for the executable. This package contains the executable, icons, etc.
All plugins, usually named mbarcode-plugin-*, depend on mbarcode-core. These contain plugin files.

mbarcode-plugins-all is discontinued and may safely be removed.

There is just one problem as I see it with the above solution, and that is that mbarcode-core probably won't be removed by the package manager if you uninstall mbarcode. I'm not sure if this is true, but its a minor problem and could in the worst case be fixed by putting mbarcode-core back into the user/* sections - thus making it visible in the application manager again.
mbarcode-core will get removed if all packages depending on it are to be removed and if it's installed automatically, i.e. as a dependency of another package. If it's installed manually it will stay installed even if all packages depending on it will be removed. Therefore it's usually a good idea having a metapackage depending on several other packages to bundle a useful application. But you should keep in mind that the user might want to install a subset of your propagated packages only. I do so. Therefore I uninstalled mbarcode (which indeed left mbarcode-core on the system as plugins still depending on it) and everything works fine.

BTW: are you also responsible for plugins? I'd like to change some details in webrequest plugin but I see it's a single binary without possibility to configure. Would it be a big load of work to make this plugin configurable? In detail I'd like to change the order of queryable websites and I'd like to add / change the search string.

Thansk in advance!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x-lette For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the clarification!

Originally Posted by x-lette View Post
BTW: are you also responsible for plugins? I'd like to change some details in webrequest plugin but I see it's a single binary without possibility to configure. Would it be a big load of work to make this plugin configurable? In detail I'd like to change the order of queryable websites and I'd like to add / change the search string.
Yes. I've created some and am maintaining most of the plugins together with Simon (lardman here on maemo talk).

It is possible to configure the webrequest plugin if you click the main app menu after selecting the web request plugin. That is, click the title bar when it says: "Search Providers". There you may add and edit search providers in the GUI (but you cannot sort them). If you'd like to gain some more control you may edit your ~/.config/mbarcode/webrequest-plugin.conf file. It is stored in Qt's INI-format, and should be fairly easy to edit if you take the current entries as examples.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dragly For This Useful Post:

Tags
barcode, camera, mbarcode