Active Topics

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
It's difficult to resist the temptation to power it on until I'll get to purchase SFOS
Power it on, if that's what you want. Just don't let it go online. That's what I did. I even managed to unlock it, so it's ready for Sailfish, without going online.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eson For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
Which again raises the same question about the point of buying an OS for year and a half old HW.
You're speaking a language I just don't comprehend.
To me 1,5 years old HW is topnotch!
I have never owned a device with so new SoC!

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by eson View Post
Power it on, if that's what you want. Just don't let it go online. That's what I did. I even managed to unlock it, so it's ready for Sailfish, without going online.
Yea, I mean to do that. First I'll need to study and check the procedure to unlock it and how to do the DRM saving hack.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Yea, I mean to do that. First I'll need to study and check the procedure to unlock it and how to do the DRM saving hack.
In comments to the blog entry about Sailfish X, James Noori said:

Android system won’t be wiped clean after the installation, we will be using Android drivers in order to run Sailfish OS on your device. But currently dual boot isn’t an option.
Maybe this means that the DRM keys will survive the flashing to SFOS, and will still be there if re-flashed to Android? I'm also guessing that implementing Sony's software enhancements to the camera in a future release of SFOS X will depend on access to those keys from SFOS, if not directly, then from some binary blob from Sony. Like you I have an Xperia X waiting for the release, but bought second-hand so already on Android 7. I'm going to hold off on downgrading to Android 6 and extracting the DRM keys until I know whether it is really going to be necessary.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pacman For This Useful Post:
Once you have unlocked the bootloader, your DRM keys are gone.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by LouisDK View Post
Anybody who knows what "dhd build" means?
If you don't know then its probably not for you

dhd = droid-hal-device, its a package that we build that contains device specific stuff.

But really, if you aren't reasonably familiar with the HADK process then its probably not worth attempting at the moment, we have some early testers helping sledges get the instructions right so im sure someone will be posting images soon enough.

EDIT:
Originally Posted by pacman View Post
Maybe this means that the DRM keys will survive the flashing to SFOS, and will still be there if re-flashed to Android? I'm also guessing that implementing Sony's software enhancements to the camera in a future release of SFOS X will depend on access to those keys from SFOS, if not directly, then from some binary blob from Sony. Like you I have an Xperia X waiting for the release, but bought second-hand so already on Android 7. I'm going to hold off on downgrading to Android 6 and extracting the DRM keys until I know whether it is really going to be necessary.
For the 100th time, the DRM keys are wiped when you unlock the bootloader, which is step 1 on flashing anything at all to the device. They will be permanently wiped.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
For the 100th time, the DRM keys are wiped when you unlock the bootloader, which is step 1 on flashing anything at all to the device. They will be permanently wiped.
And no, if you get someone else's DRM keys it still won't work, it's device specific.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Oh god, I really hate DRM. Only pain, no gain.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gaelic For This Useful Post:
hee!
I just got my shiny new F5121 and unboxed it 20 minutes ago!
It's difficult to resist the temptation to power it on until I'll get to purchase SFOS
I did power it up, upgraded it and keep it on and with a SIM inside. Warranty will be voided when unlocked, so it's best to test it as long as I can before that time.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jameson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jameson View Post
I did power it up, upgraded it and keep it on and with a SIM inside. Warranty will be voided when unlocked, so it's best to test it as long as I can before that time.
Yea, thats what all the phone manufacturers print on their disclaimer.
Fortunately it is just flapping-of-lips, at least in EU where we have this thing called manufacturer liability act.

What it means, all HW faults that happen during "reasonably expected product lifetime" are grounds for manufacturer to fix/replace. Regardless of whether "a warranty" is valid or not.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x