I'd like to know if the new device, as it has improving internet browsing capabilities, supports java, and java applets. I think it is important (at least for me) for banking, e-goverment, educational,... sites. And I've not seen anything about this in specifications or in n900 faq, and it's something that previous maemo tablets lack. Thanks

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...818#post320818

Short answer: you'll be looking to Jalimo again.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Platania (CZ), ITALY
The issue of support java however not be underestimated, Java may still have to call many additional developers & apps

You might want to have a look here: http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/embedded.jsp, specifically at "ARMv6 Linux - Headful".

It's as good as it's gonna get for consumer use for a while, and it isn't bad at all.

Also, you can use OpenJDK from Ubuntu or Debian (run it in chroot -- follow the instructions on getting Mer in chroot and then just 'apt-get install openjdk-6-jre')

The Following User Says Thank You to nadavwr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by rafanto View Post
The issue of support java however not be underestimated, Java may still have to call many additional developers & apps
I don't disagree. I think a properly integrated Java runtime (targetting either Gtk+ or Qt) would be a massive boon for Maemo development. I don't even want to run any existing Java apps (although, of course, we'd be able to reuse existing libraries); a hildon-java package would be fine.

The Sun OpenJDK package, and Jalimo's meta-packages, aren't mature enough to actually write proper Maemo apps, unfortunately :-(

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
I don't disagree. I think a properly integrated Java runtime (targetting either Gtk+ or Qt) would be a massive boon for Maemo development. I don't even want to run any existing Java apps (although, of course, we'd be able to reuse existing libraries); a hildon-java package would be fine.

The Sun OpenJDK package, and Jalimo's meta-packages, aren't mature enough to actually write proper Maemo apps, unfortunately :-(

Perhaps I have not explained well!
I said that Java is very useful for maemo and its development, but perhaps in the release of maemo has underestimated the support for this language or you are not given the necessary space.
Of course Java is a high level language very powerful but still the other hand, must still be performed JVM

I still agree in saying that openJDK and Jalimo aren't mature for development on maemo

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
I personally think Jalimo is OK, I was impressed by the SWT demos.

Of course, this will not work to run Java apps/applets, since e.g. Swing is missing. And of course, J2ME apps are another story.

I think support for developing Maemo specific Java applications (Hildon bindings...) is not even that important.

But nowadays every high end phone shoulde at least be able to run J2ME applications out of the box.

e.g. for internet banking, since a few months Java based authentication mechnisms are becoming more common - at least here in Germany.

Also digital train/bus tickets, which you can buy via mobile phone are quite popular. These are Java based, too.

Just to name two non-gaming usecases for Java on mobile phones. So if the N900 really doesn't support Java/J2ME this is imo a serious shortcoming, given it's price tag and that it's positioned in the high end segment of the market.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iskarion For This Useful Post: